The online racing simulator
Shifter from an old joystick
(10 posts, started )
#1 - Horci
I was thinking about, to make a shifter from an old joystick, but unforunetly LFS isn't support it

The main idea is, to remove the springs from a joy, so it don't return back to center.
After that, from the axis positions would be easy to assign the gears.
With this improvement H type gearbox could be simulated.

Or, just make a mod, which gets the joystick's axis positions (it could be calibrate) based on the potmeters resistance, and when it reaches the predefined values, this prog send a keystroke, what you can set in LFS's shifter settings.

It would be useful who don't want to buy a professional wheel, for few hundred dollars

Sorry for my english
FFshifter rocks.
#4 - Vain
I really love my FFshifter. There's just one problem and that's endurance. After 90 minutes the shifter gets heated up and looses precision. Sometimes the first or fifth gear fail and I'm in neutral with full throttle .
That's very interesting because you have to interact as in using the second gear where you originally planned to go in first, or changing to sixth before the ideal point. I like that very much, because it simulates mechanical failure, but it's also kind of frustrating.
This problem is with Logitech Wingman Force 3D.
But generally: Very very very positive!

Vain
im planning on installing a fan to cool the whole system
#6 - Horci
Thanks a lot !

It seems very good, I will try it, but first, I need an FFB Joy
I don't remember now what the program I used, but I have a shifter built from an old NON FF shifter. I didn't like it very much as it would pop to neutral every now and then without moving it out of gear. It worked like continuously pressing a keystroke. That also made it quite hard to type in the chat window if I had the shifter in gear. I wppppppould gekkkkkt kkkkk sttttttttttuff lippppppke thitttttttttts. Or whatever keystrokes happened to be mapped to my shifter.

But other programs may be different and not result like mine. There are several programs out there to do this. As for feeling, I think that is important and making a shifter from the joystick just didn't feel right. I made mine pretty quick and easy and it isn't as sturdy as what some I've seen look like they would be. My favorite design so far was someone's that was posted here in the hardware section. It basically used a tie-rod end to pivot in the middle and the gate was mounted below instead of the norm being on top. My thoughts are this would give the best feeling with the center pivot and gate down below.
#9 - Horci
I tried the non FF version, its fine, and works with continous keystrokes. Its not a problem, but my joy have only 4 buttons, so i had to assign the keyboard keys for the gears.
So, the prog is good, only my joy have really long way, and of course not FFB, thats why hard to use.

Now, i decided, to buy an FF joy (Genius F-31U) Its cheap, and easy to modify, and the main advantage, it has 10 buttons, so I can assign it to shift, so I can write a message without shift to neutral.

The only ting, that I dont know: The vibration function is same as Force Feedback?

And a last question. Is it worth to make a shifter?
#10 - Vain
1. FFB shifters are absolutely worth the money. They'd still be worth it when the joysticks were double as expensive.
2. There has been a lot of scam with "vibration" confused with force feedback. You propably have to ask someone who owns the joystick wether this is real Force Feedback, because without the spring-effect the joystick will be worthless (for FFB-shifter we need spring forces, not vibration).

Vain

(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG