The online racing simulator
Nuburgring, who owns it?
(30 posts, started )
Nuburgring, who owns it?
Does the Nuburgring have a single owner? Is it owned by a company? Surely somebody has to call the shots? VW? Porsche?
Quote from LazLoW :Does the Nuburgring have a single owner? Is it owned by a company? Surely somebody has to call the shots? VW? Porsche?

Part of it is a toll-road. So i think Germany owns it.
Quote from marzman :Part of it is a toll-road. So i think Germany owns it.

Damn. I was hoping you were going to say VW. If Germany owns it, I think it would be even harder to put into LFS. So much for that idea.
Quote from LazLoW :Damn. I was hoping you were going to say VW. If Germany owns it, I think it would be even harder to put into LFS. So much for that idea.

lol i just saw this coming when you mentioned VW
#5 - CSU1
Quote from marzman :Part of it is a toll-road. So i think Germany owns it.

I couldn't find a definitive answer to the op, but i don't think the German gov owns it. i read the owners got into big trouble with the German gov for not complying with tobacco advertisement...which suggests its privately owned
#6 - samjh
I don't know who owns it, but Sabine Schmitt pwns it.
The Nürburgring GmbH is actually owned by the federal state (Bundesland) Rheinland-Pfalz and the county Ahrweiler, but it's basically privately managed. The state just asks every once in a while what the GmbH is doing with it's money and why it is not making any profit.
Imagine if sabine got in a police chase on the ring. That would be awsome lol.
Quote from LazLoW :Damn. I was hoping you were going to say VW. If Germany owns it, I think it would be even harder to put into LFS. So much for that idea.

They gave a licence to virtually recreate the track very very recently (GTR Evo rings a bell?), doing that again so soon without getting much of it (somebody ask SimBin how much they payed!) is very unlikely...
Quote from Luke.S :Imagine if sabine got in a police chase on the ring. That would be awsome lol.

The police would simply drive the other way and catch her
Or they could wait at the exit of the track with a cup of coffe and a biscuit?
Quote from Mike Bingo :Or they could wait at the exit of the track with a cup of coffe and a biscuit?

And donuts

EDIT: woot 3000 posts a few posts ago
I think it would be a good investment. Nuburgring in LFS? Who wouldn't go for that? But, it would be quite the investment.
Quote from LazLoW :I think it would be a good investment. Nuburgring in LFS? Who wouldn't go for that? But, it would be quite the investment.

/me yawns and nearly drops off to sleep.

Great for SP god damn awful for MP, it is difficult to get a decent race on Forza2 online, never mind LFS.

Plus, IMO the only cars which would be anygood on there would be the GTR's so a bit of a waste really
Quote from driversbriefing :Great for SP god damn awful for MP, it is difficult to get a decent race on Forza2 online, never mind LFS.

Agreed.

rFactor has a beautiful reproduction of Nurburgring: Nordschleife, the GP track, and the VLN track. It's great, the best I've seen in a computer game. But actually racing in it is horrendous: the races are very long or not worth playing, and the amount of time lost to get back into pits after damage, etc., is worthy of a nanny-nap. Oh, and there is distinct lack of overtaking due to the length of the track.

Aston GP/GT/Historic and Fernbay Black are long enough, IMHO.

If we want a "classic" track, I think LFS should go for Spa or Bathurst for one-layout tracks; or Silverstone for multi-layout ones.

OK, back to topic now.
Quote from driversbriefing :/me yawns and nearly drops off to sleep.

Great for SP god damn awful for MP, it is difficult to get a decent race on Forza2 online, never mind LFS.

Plus, IMO the only cars which would be anygood on there would be the GTR's so a bit of a waste really

Hmm. I kind of see where you're coming from here. They manage to have multiple cars on there irl, why would LFS be that much of a problem? Plus, being such a large track, odds are everybody's gonna get split up pretty quickly.
Quote from LazLoW :Hmm. I kind of see where you're coming from here. They manage to have multiple cars on there irl, why would LFS be that much of a problem? Plus, being such a large track, odds are everybody's gonna get split up pretty quickly.

The problem isn't about traffic. It's the lack of traffic.

The track is so long that the field will spread out very thinly over the length. It's very boring.
You can't blame the track for that. We just 128 cars on track at once. If the Nurby was added, and there were no technical limitations (damn to hell whoever invented bandwidth), I can see there being enough people for this.
#24 - CSU1
Quote from Bob Smith :You can't blame the track for that. We just 128 cars on track at once. If the Nurby was added, and there were no technical limitations (damn to hell whoever invented bandwidth), I can see there being enough people for this.

Quote from Gunn :Perhaps a simulation needs real content to satisfy its own definition, but LFS doesn't claim to be a simulation.

Bob, when racing teams test and setup the cars irl would it be beneficial to simulate the track as well?..well i guess maybe for training purposes LFS could strive to claim to be a racing engineers base testing application I have never seen the tools of racing engineers nor have i ever been in pit-lane, so my question may seem silly, what tools do these engineers use?
Quote from CSU1 :i guess maybe for training purposes LFS could strive to claim to be a racing engineers base testing application

I don't think LFS is anywhere near advanced enough for that.

Nuburgring, who owns it?
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG