The online racing simulator
CTRA servers setup packs (and suggestions)
Hi, lately I'm having a go at the CTRA servers (mostly Race1 as it's the most crowded one) and as it happened to me in the past I usually miss the first race when there's a track change because I have to go and download a setup for that track @ setupgrid or inferno.

Well, that's solved after some time because you get to gather all setups needed, but it's a bunch of combos you need to collect.

As a first suggestion, it would be nice to have the next track in the rotation shown in the $track command, so you can go look for a set for the next track beforehand. That would be very nice.

Other thing I've thought is if anyone would be interested in opening a project aimed to collect setups for all CTRA combinations by servers. And I mean FAST setups. I've downloaded some setups from setupgrid that are easy to drive but can't get close to record times, and it's a bit frustrating.

It would be great if someone would be interested in creating setup packs for every CTRA server that can be downloaded directly from the CTRA website, or in collaboration with setupgrid or other site. These packs wouldn't be a starting point for beginners, but packs for fast drivers to achieve excellent laptimes.

I can provide some setups, and we would need some *really* fast drivers to test them in sprint races. It'd surely take some time, but it would be great, don't you think so?
I have just downloaded all setupgrids' setups. That way I can change quickly and be ready for the next race
#3 - J@tko
Quote from MaKaKaZo :
As a first suggestion, it would be nice to have the next track in the rotation shown in the $track command, so you can go look for a set for the next track beforehand. That would be very nice.

Im pretty sure the next track is chosen randomly after the race ends, so doing this would require a re-code.
Do we really want the newest drivers on the WR sets?, or do we want them to learn on a nice stable set that isn't so twitchy?
I vote for the stable set for close racing.
Quote from pacesetter :I have just downloaded all setupgrids' setups. That way I can change quickly and be ready for the next race

As I said, with setupgrid's contests there have been a lot of setups submitted there that are not very good. Speaking of the XFG, that is an easy car for experienced drivers, I (and I'm sure everyone) can usually do 3~4 tenths of a second better with some setup from my team (might not be even a good one for my driving style) than with one downloaded from setupgrid.

Quote from J@tko :Im pretty sure the next track is chosen randomly after the race ends, so doing this would require a re-code.

I'm a coder myself and I can say that should be no big deal at all for the devs of the X-System.

Quote from Toddshooter :Do we really want the newest drivers on the WR sets?, or do we want them to learn on a nice stable set that isn't so twitchy?
I vote for the stable set for close racing.

I want the newest drivers to drive clean, I don't mind which sets they use. Usually they have WR sets because they are always asking the fastest guy in the server "can I have your set plz?" and most people always send their sets. So, let them learn with whatever sets they want, that is not the point of my suggestion, but a pack of sets for fast drivers, so they can have good duels close to record times. Remember that not all CTRA servers are Race1 and SS1.
Quote from MaKaKaZo :As I said, with setupgrid's contests there have been a lot of setups submitted there that are not very good.

Thing is, what you think is a good setup might be a terrible setup for someone else. Some like a car loose, some like a car tight. There have been a few setup packs made, such as the easy setups (can't remember the exact name) which were supposed to be faster than the standard setups but easy to drive.

What's the point in making a subset of someone else's work, when getting a full setup pack that suits you will include more tracks than the ones we run.

Quote from MaKaKaZo :
I'm a coder myself and I can say that should be no big deal at all for the devs of the X-System.

Then you should be fully aware of the problems of maintaining legacy code while coding a successor system. On top of that I'd like you to throw in a few things that take priority, such as a day job that makes coding difficult (e.g. I'm writing this from Phoenix airport in the US, and I'm about to be flying for the next 17 hours or so - coding while tired and jetlagged will not make for happy LFSers ). BTW, this isn't a rant - think of it as an insight into the daily life...

Quote from MaKaKaZo : So, let them learn with whatever sets they want, that is not the point of my suggestion, but a pack of sets for fast drivers, so they can have good duels close to record times.

But if we/someone else makes a setup pack then they won't be racing with their preferred setups. They'll be using the ones in the pack.

I think that there's enough setup packs and services out there that we can concentrate on other things. Having a little forewarning of the next track is something we can look at, but I don't think it's a priority to retro-fit into the current system.
Quote from Christofire :Having a little forewarning of the next track is something we can look at, but I don't think it's a priority to retro-fit into the current system.

A suggestion is just a suggestion, not a demand. Just consider it and put it on the to-do list if you like it
i like the idea of a localized Zip files with all track set for whatever car
I use modified inferno sets, and really what a paint o download the ones i was looking for- getting all the GTR, and XFG/XRG sets one by one Ugh...

this might be easier to organize than a track with a set for every car...
SOuth City alone would have to many to keep straight
Quote from MaKaKaZo :A suggestion is just a suggestion, not a demand. Just consider it and put it on the to-do list if you like it

Suggestions are always good. Sometimes I just get a little frustrated that we can't get everything in there.
Quote from Christofire :Suggestions are always good. Sometimes I just get a little frustrated that we can't get everything in there.

I have some more suggestions, but some of them but be harder and other might have been suggested tons of times. Is there anything like an official CTRA suggestions thread anywhere?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG