The online racing simulator
Google chrome
(203 posts, started )
Quote from DeadWolfBones :You just said you'd happily move back to IE if it were a bit less crap, so I figured you might want to give it a go.

yes ie6 which is as basic as it gets (except for lynx)

theres 2 key problems that keep me from using ie6
1) it has a habbit of running stuff you wouldnt want it to
2) it doesnt have an middle mouse on link functionality so i end up using shift+lmb => alt+tab a lot when brwosing forum which gets stupid after a while

all i really want from a browser is just what its intended to do... open webpages and offer some very basic userfriendliness (which chome completely fails at by not having any recent urls type thing on the addressbar btw)

and ie is still the only browser that offers a useable history... or at least one that works the way id like it to
aha! Shotglass' browser requirements involve the very things I hate!

I've switched to Crome, 'though i'll use Firefox+Firebug as my primary development browser still.
I like speed of loading pages, but speed of scrolling text is wrong, getting dizzy when scrolling this forum
P.S. Very interesting name.
Quote from Inouva :Strange , wen i stall the GC , ask me for the bm of Ie , but no for the FF , also i tryed draggin the bookmark and open a new tab showing all the urls , and dont wanna that D=

WTH , GC Epic Fail

LOL!

Go to the small wrench on the upper left corner of you screen, go to "import bookmarks and settings" and chose firefox in the pull down dialogue.

I really like google chrome. And for those with privacy concerns, well, that seems to be the way of the future. With all the new EU and US legislation on surveillance and control, I think a browser that logs my internet behaviour is a relatively minor concern.
Quote from tristancliffe :

But as Kev says I'm not a huge fan of giving companies my info quite so readily - Google already know enough about me already.

Tristan, we already know too much about you, so I don't know why you'd be bothered about Google having the same info ... but, yeah, I share the sentiment...
just downloaded it and i like it
Quote from Shotglass :...all i really want from a browser is just what its intended to do... open webpages and offer some very basic userfriendliness (which chome completely fails at by not having any recent urls type thing on the addressbar btw)

You really should try Opera then. It's much faster and safer than IE, it conforms to web standards (which IE6 and IE7 absolutely do not), it already has a lot of the features Chrome is using and it has mouse gestures, which is a brilliant way of interacting with an interface.
#83 - Woz
Installed, open one website then uninstalled. As it stands it is just pointless!

No advert or script blocking!

I can live without some of my other Firefox plugins BUT not those two.

No ad-block = no install

BTW: When you uninstall it leaves GoogleUpdate.exe installed, hooked into the registry and set to run at startup. I just rolled back and no easy way to remove it without a rollback. Nice touch!
#84 - CSU1
...noone use Foxmarks?, It's the best add-on+browser i've used yet, no importing bookmarks just sign in and can access them from any machine
Just installed there and now using it to look at this. Definitely loading stuff FAR quicker than FF2 for me. And let's be honest, on this work computer I need all the extra memory saving devices I can find - they're so shonky.

And as for having no ad-blocker, that's because it's only a couple of days old. I'm pretty sure FF had no plugins the day of release either Give it a couple more days and I'm sure the open source community will have a whole range of plugins available.
I've got my fingers crossed for mouse gestures.
Wow this is a seriously quick browser...loving the simplicity.
This rocks!

Add some pop up blocker features and make add-ons available like Firefox and this will easily be my No.1 Browser of use!
It crashes if you type about:% in the address bar.
So much for their sandboxing
Quote from durbster :You really should try Opera then. It's much faster and safer than IE, it conforms to web standards (which IE6 and IE7 absolutely do not), it already has a lot of the features Chrome is using and it has mouse gestures, which is a brilliant way of interacting with an interface.

agreed!

I tried it but here's my 3 reasons why I won't change:

- looks very similar to my Opera layout anyway (see attachment)
- speed is very similar
- doesn't have mouse gestures
Attached images
opera.jpg
Just noticed, there's no "clear my browsing history etc when I close the browser" option. Am I the only one who finds clearing it manually a bit of a pain?
I love Opera. However, at work I can't install it because I have no admin privs. Whereas Chrome will install just fine
Quote from durbster :It's much faster than IE

it just isnt

Quote :it conforms to web standards (which IE6 and IE7 absolutely do not)

i think weve been over this before (might not have been you though) but ie _is_ the web standard and opera has tons of issues displaying stuff

Quote :it has mouse gestures, which is a brilliant way of interacting with an interface.

anything that reminds me of mentor is ghastly

and lastly it uses tabs and takes ages to configure to my liking since the options menu must be the least logically designed thing ive seen in my life
That kind of thinking is exactly what 72% of the net still uses that piece of crap.

W3C is the web standard
I think it´s very quick and nice, but I will wait for a more developed version since this one is very incomplete, it´s like an pre-Alpha for me
IE is nowhere near the web standard, in fact, Microsoft ignored quite a bunch of the things considered as standard earlier, though I guess this is pretty much fixed in IE7.
You can look up how different browsers/layout engines compare to the web standards here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_layout_engines
#97 - wien
Quote from herki :though I guess this is pretty much fixed in IE7.

No.

IE8 is supposed to be standards compliant and Microsoft made a big stink about how they had to "break the web" because of that, but in reality they've tweaked the CSS support to the point where it's almost usable (there's plenty of new fun bugs to work around) and left the rest of the stinkin' heap more or less unchanged. The Javascript/DOM support is still horrendous, SVG is still missing etc.
#98 - Ant
On the grounds that the EULA was displayed in a small, non-resizeable window I deem it to be improper displayed and invalid: case presedent - pay & display parking tickets.

Well, it's no more ambiguous than the EULA clause itself.
Quote from Shotglass :it just isnt

http://cybernetnews.com/2008/0 ... -performance-comparisons/

Quote from Shotglass :
i think weve been over this before (might not have been you though) but ie _is_ the web standard and opera has tons of issues displaying stuff

No, as Dajmin state, W3C is the web standard. IE is just the most popular browser (since it comes with Windows).

The problem with IE is that you have to use non-standard code to get a lot of things to work properly across browsers (something that W3C is supposed to prevent). That often means more code per page, which means each page takes longer to both write for the developer, and load for the user.

Now multiply that problem by millions (billions?) of web pages, and it becomes a big deal.

I mean, imagine if the United States refused to conform to international law, simply because they are the most powerful member. Oh hang on...

Google chrome
(203 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG