The online racing simulator
LFS Setup Organiser (is it possible?)
I have this idea for a LFS Util and would like to know from you guys with programming experience if its possible .

The idea is to have a Setup folder separate from LFS where all your setups is stored per car and per track E.g. FOX/Blackwood Folder . Then when in game one uses insim to determine which car and track combo is currently selected(I think this is possible) and then move all setups from the settings folder to a temp folder and move all setups from the corresponding folder (E.g. FOX/Blackwood) in the separate setup folders to the settings folder of LFS.

So then once you pit and you will only see the setups for the car and track . Now I know this is something that the Devs will probably do in the future if not already with S2 but I think it will be handy .

Do you guys think its possible to do ?
I'm not sure its possible to do this efficiently and quickly enough. It might be possible for us to hook into a few system / DirectX calls, to intercept and do the copying, but without doing some investigation I wouldnt know.

I believe this has been asked before, but possibly on RSC.

What might be more likely with the ever evolving version of GRC, is that Bob has spoken of LFS setup integration at some point - which maybe able to help organise and create setups out of LFS.
While I am intending to make GRC open LFS .set files, I have not been thinking of the sort of idea noemfire is suggesting. Once coded, you could use GRC to open a .set file from whatever windows file structure you car to use, and then save it as "FOX_CURRENT.SET" (for example), and just keep using that set over and over. I don't really see it as much of an aid myself, but then I always keep my number of setups pruned down so I can stay in control.
-
(MonkOnHotTinRoof) DELETED by MonkOnHotTinRoof
I like the idea and it sucks that a InSim solution probably will never be 100% perfect. Right now the setup storage is a huge mess and if I don't race on a track for a while I have no idea what the current setup is

A small "notepad" for each setup would rock, too.
I would like some organization because I'm constantly thinking, ok, is this KY2 or KY3? I can never remember those. I end up in my KY Nat. set when I'm on KY GP and vice versa, which are very different setups. The only one's I remember is BL1 (can't get that wrong) and AS3.
I was thinking of adding this option to PB-Fetch but i dont know if its feasable to do with the information from LFSW. host can tell you which track you are racing on at the time and i could add a few system calls in the software to copy over only the relavent set files for that track...

You want it then i'll do it otherwise im just gonna work on whats already there.

The only minor drawback would be each time you change server / track then you would have to press the update button in the software meaning a lovely and annoying Alt+TAB operation. other than that i dont think i would mind...

Would it be feasable tho and does LFSW update that quickly?

::EDIT::

Changed my mind about adding this to PB-Fetch. It seems out of context for that piece of software. Maybe think of doing a seperate piece for this though

Was thinking about it though and you wouldn't really need a seperate folder for each car... Just for each track. The game itself figures out what car ur using so you wouldnt need to seperate them

Just my 2 cents

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG