The online racing simulator
Theres a fine line between defending yor position and being a nub and trying to run the guy passing off the track. Found out its pretty common yesterday..
very nice points made their, to get good results you have to your and the other drivers limits, asn use the correct balance of patience and aggression.

That why i prefer league races, as oppossed to pickup and i know the drivers and can have close races with them, and they know what i'm going to do aswell
#28 - SamH
This thread's a good read! Glad to see the CTRA admins are coming away fairly well unscathed, too

Since revising the structure of our rules and trying to clarify some points, some new issues with the rules have come to light that we'll need to address soon. I'll pick those off so you guys know, because they seem pertinent to the discussion..

"Bump and steal" - the process of deliberately smacking someone's back-end to push them wide or destabilise them into a corner. We've started to see this a lot more, recently, although it's always been illegal on CTRA servers.. so we'll be making a specific point of it in the rules. It's sometimes pretty difficult to determine if an individual instance of this is deliberate or not. However, it's piss-easy to spot it as a behavioural trend in a driver. When it's reported, we spend a long time looking at other examples of corner entry from the reported driver, and they're positively up the creek if they're caught. This kind of thing is a once-in-a-blue-moon incident, so if we can find it recurring within 3 or 4 other races, we consider them habitual bump and stealers. Bear in mind that bumping and stealing is an easy fix if it's done in error, anyway. You just give the position back. Occasional contact into a corner is perhaps even inevitable, and can't be 100% avoided - accidents happen - but the driver that disadvantages another driver, by accident or on purpose, is always in control of whether or not they return the position.

On that point, if the disadvantaged driver crashes and totals, and then spectates, it's impossible to return the position within 2 corners (regulation) but we will diminish the penalty issued - or even dismiss it - if the advantaged driver gives him/herself a voluntary drive-thru in the same race. If we miss them doing that, they can point it out in their appeal.

GTR midracers overtaking GT2 competitors - Hands up, I admit I hadn't properly considered this in developing the new rules write-up, and it's definitely an issue because some of the tracks we run are really short tracks. I will be sticking this in the sporting code. To summarise, GTR midrace joiners WILL be allowed to overtake GT2 cars, but only on main straights. Both main and straight. They must aim for the empty side of the track, and the GT2 competitor mustn't defend. I've tested it myself and reviewed several example replays, and if a GTR gets within striking distance on entry into a corner or chicane, they should be free to pass at the earliest opportunity on the following straight. The GT2 competitor should pick a side of the track, and the GTR should use the other. By the time the next corner comes, on 70% of the shortest of tracks, they're already firmly into the corner before the GT2 hits the braking zone.

Thoughts?
Another point on CTRA that could do with addressing is T1 at BnJ. I start up front in 99% of races (nearly red roof now ), and T1 at tracks like Pit of Despair is just a nightmare. Last night (Jakg was there too!) it was on, and every single race there I got shoved into a barrier at T1. I know it's Bump and Jump, and you are to expect to be tapped now and then, but I'd at least like to finish a lap every now and then...

I don't file reports on this because it happens almost every race, so it's not really an individual person's fault. I't just the result of 15 drivers in RB4s packed into a 2-car-wide corner at full speed
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Another point on CTRA that could do with addressing is T1 at BnJ. I start up front in 99% of races (nearly red roof now ), and T1 at tracks like Pit of Despair is just a nightmare. Last night (Jakg was there too!) it was on, and every single race there I got shoved into a barrier at T1. I know it's Bump and Jump, and you are to expect to be tapped now and then, but I'd at least like to finish a lap every now and then...

I don't file reports on this because it happens almost every race, so it's not really an individual person's fault. I't just the result of 15 drivers in RB4s packed into a 2-car-wide corner at full speed

I disagree with your last point. It is every individuals fault that goes full on into the first corner unsafely. Useing others as a brake and in the prossess taking them out is unfair, even on B&J.
I have been in quit a few races with a full grid on B&J when all have made it through the first corner. It just depends on the drivers who your on the track with.
Quote from SamH :This thread's a good read! Glad to see the CTRA admins are coming away fairly well unscathed, too

Since revising the structure of our rules and trying to clarify some points, some new issues with the rules have come to light that we'll need to address soon. I'll pick those off so you guys know, because they seem pertinent to the discussion..

"Bump and steal" - the process of deliberately smacking someone's back-end to push them wide or destabilise them into a corner. We've started to see this a lot more, recently, although it's always been illegal on CTRA servers.. so we'll be making a specific point of it in the rules. It's sometimes pretty difficult to determine if an individual instance of this is deliberate or not. However, it's piss-easy to spot it as a behavioural trend in a driver. When it's reported, we spend a long time looking at other examples of corner entry from the reported driver, and they're positively up the creek if they're caught. This kind of thing is a once-in-a-blue-moon incident, so if we can find it recurring within 3 or 4 other races, we consider them habitual bump and stealers. Bear in mind that bumping and stealing is an easy fix if it's done in error, anyway. You just give the position back. Occasional contact into a corner is perhaps even inevitable, and can't be 100% avoided - accidents happen - but the driver that disadvantages another driver, by accident or on purpose, is always in control of whether or not they return the position.

On that point, if the disadvantaged driver crashes and totals, and then spectates, it's impossible to return the position within 2 corners (regulation) but we will diminish the penalty issued - or even dismiss it - if the advantaged driver gives him/herself a voluntary drive-thru in the same race. If we miss them doing that, they can point it out in their appeal.

GTR midracers overtaking GT2 competitors - Hands up, I admit I hadn't properly considered this in developing the new rules write-up, and it's definitely an issue because some of the tracks we run are really short tracks. I will be sticking this in the sporting code. To summarise, GTR midrace joiners WILL be allowed to overtake GT2 cars, but only on main straights. Both main and straight. They must aim for the empty side of the track, and the GT2 competitor mustn't defend. I've tested it myself and reviewed several example replays, and if a GTR gets within striking distance on entry into a corner or chicane, they should be free to pass at the earliest opportunity on the following straight. The GT2 competitor should pick a side of the track, and the GTR should use the other. By the time the next corner comes, on 70% of the shortest of tracks, they're already firmly into the corner before the GT2 hits the braking zone.

Thoughts?

Why dont you guys just implement the road rule, If you hit someone up the arse its your fault, simple as that, there is no grey area then and everyone knowns where they stand.

Id love to argue with my insurance company after a rear end smash "well he broke 50 meters before the traffic lights the n00b !!!111111 Now my front end is a right off"

Then in the odd case where the person infront was at fault you guys can take a look. my 2cents
#32 - SamH
Quote from Spils :Why dont you guys just implement the road rule, If you hit someone up the arse its your fault, simple as that, there is no grey area then and everyone knowns where they stand.

Id love to argue with my insurance company after a rear end smash "well he broke 50 meters before the traffic lights the n00b !!!111111 Now my front end is a right off"

Then in the odd case where the person infront was at fault you guys can take a look. my 2cents

Well, it's not really a question of who's fault as it is about how the accident is paid for - cheque, cash, hard labour etc
Are you suggesting bribing CTRA admins??
#34 - SamH

It has been tried! We've been threatened, too! Bodily!! LOL!
Quote from SamH :We've been threatened, too! Bodily!! LOL!

Wasn't by the dad of any chav ricers here, was it?
#36 - SamH
Quote from STROBE :Wasn't by the dad of any chav ricers here, was it?

hehe.. I told him to grow up.. or I'd get my brother on to him. He shut up then
I'm a fan of hard labour , makes life better for the majority
Quote from dirty8_2005 :I admit I'm slow with a 113:88 lap time but if you are quicker then I will defend my line cleanly and fairly. But if you start bumping me then no matter how fast a driver you are you will always be a poor racer!! Fast don't mean nothing if you aren't a clean driver. So next time you are behind a slower guy look for an opportunity to get through instead of pushing the slow guy in front off the track. That's not racing!! Just look at some F1 races in Monaco where the faster guy is stuck behind a slower car but on the same racing lap, the faster guy doesn't push him off he either finds a gap through without crashing or waits for the pit stops.

So stop bumping us and find your way through!!!

If you are blocking drivers unnecessarily (making more than one move off the racing line) anyone will get quite fed up being behind you, so you can pretty much guarantee that they will move you. This would happen in the real world too... if you were blocking me unnecessarily (and im sure there are plenty of others here who'd agree) I'd be sure to give you a good bump or spin you out... since blocking unnecessarily is just as unsportsmanlike.

If the driver behind you is faster, it's not a free ticket to continuously block them.
Quote from teedot :If you are blocking drivers unnecessarily (making more than one move off the racing line) anyone will get quite fed up being behind you, so you can pretty much guarantee that they will move you. This would happen in the real world too... if you were blocking me unnecessarily (and im sure there are plenty of others here who'd agree) I'd be sure to give you a good bump or spin you out... since blocking unnecessarily is just as unsportsmanlike.

If the driver behind you is faster, it's not a free ticket to continuously block them.

I agree with you on that and that is what I do. I only move once to defend my line and I never cut back or weave intentionally to block the faster driver. I always defend cleanly. But these guys I'm talking about didn't care if it was clean defending. They just said that because I was slower and even if I was on racing lap I should move over because they are faster!!

I always know my limits to defending cause I know the one move and stick to it. If the guys passes you then you've made your move, don't do a sharp cut back to block his move, this is illegal. All I did was make my move, stay on the inside so they have to overtake on the outside and make it harder for them to pass. If they make it stick then I let them go. But all I'm saying is don't intentionally bump me out of the way just because you think I should just give you my position because I am slower than you!! No, fight for my position, that's why it's called racing!

Also the times this year in Formula one that the slower guy on the same racing lap has let the faster guy through has been twice. And they were both team mate related. One was Heikki letting hamilton through and the other one was Kimi letting Massa through without fight. Apart from that everyone has fought and defended their positions cleanly. No faster car has bumped a slower car out of the way. If this happened they woulda got penalised and that's what I think LFS should start doing!!
if you happen to be the slower car in the battle, make the faster driver take all the wide lines. when defending i tend to set my stall out early. i keep as tight to the inside as i can. this gives the other driver ALL the options except the most important one. if i do happen to be on the outside, i brake slightly early and this places me right behind the other car (usually) and also give me the option to reclaim the inside for the next corner.
what bugs the crap out of me is bump drafting. you could be on the back straight at blackwood and some fool thinks it's better it he bump drafts you. not only does this increase your braking time (your going faster) but it increases the chance that you end up missing your apex. to fix this i apply 5% brakes. enough to turn the brake lights on and to force the bump drafter to keep his distance. it may be considered brake testing, but with 5% brakes it's more like brake light testing.
Quote from dadge :
what bugs the crap out of me is bump drafting. you could be on the back straight at blackwood and some fool thinks it's better it he bump drafts you. not only does this increase your braking time (your going faster) but it increases the chance that you end up missing your apex.

This happened to me on blackwood a while back, i was in an xfg and the other guy was in an xrt. He started bump drafting me coming down the long straight. I moved off the racing line over to the inside but instead of passing he stayed on the back of me.I then started to brake as normal, very gently at first. (i do brake very early on that bit as i end up in the gravel otherwise!) I then realised that i wasnt slowing down, i was in fact getting faster because the other car had latched onto me and was running me towards the gravel at speed and i was now locking up under braking and understeering like mad, so i tried something.... And it worked!! I steered myself left and placed half of my car on the grass, and he followed. Because he was pushing so much, he wheelspun on the grass and started to slide right. I knew that he would be trying to regain control so i got back on the power, causing him to 'let go' of my car. I then applied some full right hand lock and handbrake which sent me into a wild diagonal spin accross the big grassy bit on the inside of the turn. After spinning multiple times, i landed back on the track facing the wrong direction on the exit of that corner with not so much as a scratch, and just in time to watch the xrt plough through the gravel into the wall!
i've been rammed off the road dozens of times on CTRA UF-BR.
Quote from bunder9999 :i've been rammed off the road dozens of times on CTRA UF-BR.

Use the $report feature. If you don't want to bother doing that, don't bother complaining here either.
I 2nd that. The report feature is there for this reason.
who said i was complaining? sometimes crap happens... just look at f1.
dude, you don't have to be complaining to report someone. think of it this way, if you don't know you're doing something wrong. then how can you fix it?
-
(NightShift) DELETED by NightShift : Thought it was in the CTRA board
Quote from dougie-lampkin :This is exactly why I almost never race. If you're not the fastest, you will have a car on your ass forcing you to brake late and go wide, or else get shunted off the track if you brake normally. Happens on almost every server. I've even reported a few on CTRA for it, and was told it's classed as "racing contact". The bloody AI do a better job of not hitting me :rolleyes:

The worst is when the faster driver behind doesn't take an easy opportunity to pass, but waits to pass on a corner. I brake at my normal spot (which is apparently a gazillion miles behind that of the faster driver, as he would never expect a car to brake here...) and then get rewarded with a good 'ol shunt into the gravel/barrier/other car. And then if you retaliate in the same way (which you have to, admins won't do anything) then it's "revenge wrecking".

Can't wait for LFS to have some kind of safety racing a la iRacing. Then if you shove others off the road you'll never ever get anywhere

/rant

I get pretty pissed about the same things. I try to be courteous to the guys who are faster than me, but some of them are just amazing. One today came up behind me on a straight, but by the time we got alongside each other we were at the same speed. His response was to lay on his horn and type GET OUT OF MY WAY, instead of following the line that i'd left open for him. I don't think i've ever been actually pissed at anyone on a server before today.

The good races make up for the occasional bad sport, though.
I get this alot with online play as well, I rather the setting of laptimes, like, on servers where its just a few people racing, and if i'm faster, I ask people nicely to just let me pass, cause i will pit a couple laps after anyway, Normally I don't race//

but yes, when i was a new driver, it was annoying as **** with all the faster cars hitting ya just cause ur slower.. dickheads.. -.-
I drive mostly on CTRA Race 3 and almost never experience this type of driving. It's such a nice place to be

Even on Race 2 (although it was a while ago) the standards were very high and people took pride over their cleanliness, albeit mistakes will happen.

The difference between a fast driver and a fast racer is enormous.
on the ctra site. i find my yellow flag ratio (8%)more important than my win ratio.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG