The online racing simulator
How do you start a team?
(27 posts, started )
How do you start a team?
Hi

I am looking for help on starting a team. I need advice on how to set one up, how to test other drivers wanting to join etc.

I am also looking for someone to possibly co-own the team, to share the pressure.

Jon
Well...first find at least some guy who would like to make a team with you. Then think of the proper name for the team. Start asking other people to join. Advertise your team. Register it at lfsworld.net, present it to other here in the forum. Start making skins, think of how you would like skins to look etc. Then try to get other people attention. Maybe then people will start wanting to join your team. Decide what kind of team it is (Race, drift etc.) Do all these things. Then in some time make a website.

Make everything nicely and neatly, then you'll get more attention and more people who wants to join. If you make it messy and don't take care of the things, nobody will want to join your team. Everyone will think it is just another 1 week long team. Make a logo for your team. All these things.
These are like most common things that people do, but of course it takes time to do that all, you definitely won't do it all in one week. Might take you even months. But you have to be patient.
Cause if you don't want to wait and do this all, then don't even start making a team.

You test others, if you want to test them. Some people know each other and don't need to be tested. Just make a server, and test what ever track and car you want...there are many different ways, how people test others. You just have to think yourself, and do the way you want it.
Quote from ferraif40 :
I am also looking for someone to possibly co-own the team, to share the pressure....
Jon

Hi,im interested in makin a team 2.I hav a dedicated host that i just recently got up an workin with LFSLapper runnin too.. (Special thanks to>>>>>> 500SERVERS!!<<<<<<)

wot's ur most liked/used car/s that u drive/race???????

If ur interested in teamin up with me maybe....will hav too meet down on the tarmac:heyjoe67_,just to test each other's drivin skill an where we is at...
hit me bac soon will talk more..an then i will tell u my host name not being rude..... dont want a flood of drivers just yet:shhh:

:lfs:I Love this Game......:bowdown:
The "todo" List........
Quote from andRo. :Well...first find at least some guy who would like to make a team with you. Then think of the proper name for the team. Start asking other people to join. Advertise your team. Register it at lfsworld.net, present it to other here in the forum. Start making skins, think of how you would like skins to look etc. Then try to get other people attention. Maybe then people will start wanting to join your team. Decide what kind of team it is (Race, drift etc.) Do all these things. Then in some time make a website.

Make everything nicely and neatly, then you'll get more attention and more people who wants to join. If you make it messy and don't take care of the things, nobody will want to join your team. Everyone will think it is just another 1 week long team. Make a logo for your team. All these things.
These are like most common things that people do, but of course it takes time to do that all, you definitely won't do it all in one week. Might take you even months. But you have to be patient.
Cause if you don't want to wait and do this all, then don't even start making a team.

You test others, if you want to test them. Some people know each other and don't need to be tested. Just make a server, and test what ever track and car you want...there are many different ways, how people test others. You just have to think yourself, and do the way you want it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
These r just sum of the things i am tryin too get down on paper so as to make a plan an try an stick to it....

(quote)Im here 4 a long time...not a just a great time.........
#5 - mr_x
Quote from Blackknight555 :-----------------------------------------------------------------------
These r just sum of the things i am tryin too get down on paper so as to make a plan an try an stick to it....

(quote)Im here 4 a long time...not a just a great time.........

A bit of advice for advertising the team, using full words and grammar is always a good bet - even when you're not advertising the team and just doing general forum posts. Saything things like 'r' instead of 'are' and 'wot' instead of 'what' really doesn't make you look good, it makes you look more childish than anything.
Quote from Blackknight555 :Hi,im interested in makin a team 2.I hav a dedicated host that i just recently got up an workin with LFSLapper runnin too.. (Special thanks to>>>>>> 500SERVERS!!<<<<<<)

wot's ur most liked/used car/s that u drive/race???????

If ur interested in teamin up with me maybe....will hav too meet down on the tarmac:heyjoe67_,just to test each other's drivin skill an where we is at...
hit me bac soon will talk more..an then i will tell u my host name not being rude..... dont want a flood of drivers just yet:shhh:

:lfs:I Love this Game......:bowdown:

WTF did you just say???????????
He was just giving a PERFECT example to ferrarif40 on how to NOT advertise a team.
#8 - th84
Or, you could get a bunch of retards together, give them a even more retarded name, then step back and point and laugh.

.... that sure does sound familiar.
Quote from th84 :Or, you could get a bunch of retards together, give them a even more retarded name, then step back and point and laugh.

.... that sure does sound familiar.

Like a bunch of noobs together.
Lol.
Quote from evilpimp :Lol.

One of those retards beat you in a league race just tonight, you know.
Oh rly. I beat you 2 out of the 3 races. If we add up the laps we're kinda tied.
You just got lucky on that last one. Didnt expect the poles on pit in to be so hard and when I spun coming into the pits heated the rears too much and then started sliding around.
Hi

Can we keep this on topic!!!

Anyway, I have emailed Blackknight, and see what he says when he replies. If not, I will set up a new topic looking out for someone to start a team with me

Jon
A better question for yourself should be, to make a team or to join a team. Are there teams out there with the goals and opinions you have? Chances are pretty good. Takes a ton of effort to start and run a team, and also takes people you know and trust and get along with. I would suggest racing with people in a team quite a bit, get to know them and in time see if your capable of joining. It might open eyes to some things you hadn't thought of, yet still gives you the enjoyment of being in a team.
A team is all about skins. Get cool skins. Then think of getting members. Oh get skills too it's a cool option in a team.
Many Thanks too all!!
:jawdrop:Well this is a great way too start...NOT

I didnt think the way i wrote things made a difference??!!
I am tryin too start a Team,an all u people can do is bag me.
well as for advertising,im new too this. Help would be great...
But most forget where they came from/started at aswell
This is a work-in-progress,please respect new an up an coming
racers,If it wasnt for them lfs would die slowly.......(just my thought's)

All people that want to help please pm me.
All other's----Im closing my ears too u...or eyes!!!

A wise man once told me-----------------------------------------------People in glass house's should'nt throw stone's.
Help needed...please :)
Quote from banshee56 :He was just giving a PERFECT example to ferrarif40 on how to NOT advertise a team.

Well u look like u have been around for while.....Why not give me sum pointer's then??,Would be very happy to listen too what u have to say.
1) Do NOT use the thinking "I want to start a team..I think I will go find someone to start a team with." Go out and race a lot. Get to know a couple of independent drivers. Find one you enjoy racing and talking with. Teams that start with friends who are focused on a common goal last a lot longer.

2) A team look (website, skins, logo, etc.) are not that important at the beginning. The personal interests and interaction between team members defines the team while those graphical type things only reflect and project the team idea. As my father told me in kart racing, "You have to get the go before you get the show." Figure out what your team is about and go from there. First thing to get is a free forum to chat in private somewhere rather then leaving it up to the cynical yahoos on this forum. The team name isn't important in terms of the forum you setup...you can change it later. Figure out what you want the team to do....race, drag, drift, cruise, all. Whatever it is, stick to it and stick up for your interests.

3) When you have two people that are vested in the interest of the team, go figure out how you want to operate (i.e. league or pickup racing? recruiting, etc.). You can draft a set of team rules if you want, but those tend to make people feel controlled. Just have a loose set of guidelines, backed by some strict conduct policies and you'll be fine. One thing I really hate is when teams kick drivers because they are inactive. There are reasons for inactivity sometimes, so ask those inactive drivers why they aren't active, and then if you still feel the need to remove them, remove them. CoRe just yesterday welcomed back to active status a driver from the old days that hadn't been active for almost a year. He was a CoRe driver in good standing when he went active and he had a good reason, so when he decided he wanted to come back, we had no problem with that. We've chosen people that fit in well so it isn't a problem when this happens.

4) When it comes to recruiting, figure out what you want out of new recruits. Just looking for numbers and you feel like posting a "ABC Team is recruiting!" thread on LFS Forums? Epic fail. You'll end up seeing people posting that they want to join, you'll say yes, they get in the team, you'll do skins and whatnot, they go out an wreck someone and give themselves and your team a bad name and then it's team over. It's your team...pick your teammates carefully. Have some tryout sessions setup either on a server you run or some pre-determined server. Race with them. Talk with them. Watch how they handle certain situations like rough drivers. Come to think of it, CTRA is the perfect place to see how they do against rough drivers. Don't decide in one night. Talk about the new recruit on your forum or over IRC or MSN or AOL...etc etc. Make sure everyone on the team is OK with this new person. Oh, and never ever never post that you are recruiting someone that can skin or setup cars or has a server. If new members have those things or skills, then great. If not, then figure out as a team how to get those things.

There are so many things that go into making a good team and keeping it running. It's not a self-sustaining thing, so you'll have a LOT of work ahead of you. But when you get the right group of people together that want the team to thrive and succeed, it gets a bit easier.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way....the way you write things IS important. You want to be taken seriously? Then write as if you are serious about your team. Cut out the stupid chat acronyms and smilies and crap. It only makes you look childish and ignorant.

EDIT2: When you want to type the word "you", use the "y" and the "o" in front of the "u". You is spelled Y-O-U.....not "u".

EDIT3: The word "some" is spelled S-O-M-E, not "sum". I just wanted to make sure YOU knew that.

EDIT4: Props to blackbird04217. That man speaks the truth.
Quote from banshee56 :1) Do NOT use the thinking "I want to start a team..I think I will go find someone to start a team with." Go out and race a lot. Get to know a couple of independent drivers. Find one you enjoy racing and talking with. Teams that start with friends who are focused on a common goal last a lot longer.

2) A team look (website, skins, logo, etc.) are not that important at the beginning. The personal interests and interaction between team members defines the team while those graphical type things only reflect and project the team idea. As my father told me in kart racing, "You have to get the go before you get the show." Figure out what your team is about and go from there. First thing to get is a free forum to chat in private somewhere rather then leaving it up to the cynical yahoos on this forum. The team name isn't important in terms of the forum you setup...you can change it later. Figure out what you want the team to do....race, drag, drift, cruise, all. Whatever it is, stick to it and stick up for your interests.

3) When you have two people that are vested in the interest of the team, go figure out how you want to operate (i.e. league or pickup racing? recruiting, etc.). You can draft a set of team rules if you want, but those tend to make people feel controlled. Just have a loose set of guidelines, backed by some strict conduct policies and you'll be fine. One thing I really hate is when teams kick drivers because they are inactive. There are reasons for inactivity sometimes, so ask those inactive drivers why they aren't active, and then if you still feel the need to remove them, remove them. CoRe just yesterday welcomed back to active status a driver from the old days that hadn't been active for almost a year. He was a CoRe driver in good standing when he went active and he had a good reason, so when he decided he wanted to come back, we had no problem with that. We've chosen people that fit in well so it isn't a problem when this happens.

4) When it comes to recruiting, figure out what you want out of new recruits. Just looking for numbers and you feel like posting a "ABC Team is recruiting!" thread on LFS Forums? Epic fail. You'll end up seeing people posting that they want to join, you'll say yes, they get in the team, you'll do skins and whatnot, they go out an wreck someone and give themselves and your team a bad name and then it's team over. It's your team...pick your teammates carefully. Have some tryout sessions setup either on a server you run or some pre-determined server. Race with them. Talk with them. Watch how they handle certain situations like rough drivers. Come to think of it, CTRA is the perfect place to see how they do against rough drivers. Don't decide in one night. Talk about the new recruit on your forum or over IRC or MSN or AOL...etc etc. Make sure everyone on the team is OK with this new person. Oh, and never ever never post that you are recruiting someone that can skin or setup cars or has a server. If new members have those things or skills, then great. If not, then figure out as a team how to get those things.

There are so many things that go into making a good team and keeping it running. It's not a self-sustaining thing, so you'll have a LOT of work ahead of you. But when you get the right group of people together that want the team to thrive and succeed, it gets a bit easier.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way....the way you write things IS important. You want to be taken seriously? Then write as if you are serious about your team. Cut out the stupid chat acronyms and smilies and crap. It only makes you look childish and ignorant.

EDIT2: When you want to type the word "you", use the "y" and the "o" in front of the "u". You is spelled Y-O-U.....not "u".

EDIT3: The word "some" is spelled S-O-M-E, not "sum". I just wanted to make sure YOU knew that.

EDIT4: Props to blackbird04217. That man speaks the truth.

You couldnt be more right, Im thinking of setting up a team, and you have typed what i have thought,
Now that's something what every new team maker would need, i'll keep that in my mind also if I should make a team in future.
word!
also, don't think that making a team is easy, not everyone can handle a GOOD team. It requires a hard work and loads of dedication and patience.
It is possible to use a brand (e.g. "Penzoil") for the team name, something like "Penzoil Drift Team"?
If it's not possible, I can use an invented brand ?
Obviously, there could be copyright concerns if the actual brand gets word of you using the name. There are those kinds of risks in a lot of things that are LFS related...skinning is one of most visible examples. Just know that if you choose to use a commercial brand, just be prepared to ditch it if the brand comes calling with a cease and desist demand.

Moral of the story: It's best to not use a commercial brand for a team name.
Thank you.
Thank you Banshee56,i have a lot to consider..
Hi

Thanks banshee. I had sort of worked out that you need to race with a new person first, and see what he is like. I'll see if Blackknight is right for me, the way he talks, maybe a problem, but I will give it a go.

Thanks
Jon

How do you start a team?
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG