The online racing simulator
Time to pick a new one :)
(45 posts, started )
Quote from Jakg :32-bit OS (I assume Windows) + 4GB of RAM means that you won't be able to use all 4 GB (even if Vista SP1 32-bit will now read the correct amount), rather between 2.75 - 3.5 GB of it.

talk only about windows (and in fact, xp) , because other 32bit OSs (including some 32bit variants of windows, but not xp) use the mechanisms that allow >4GB addressing in 32bit mode. here

why is only 3.5GB 'available'? what do you mean 'available' ?
#27 - Jakg
As in only 2.75 - 3.5 GB of 4 GB can actually be used - i've only heard bad things about PAE though..
#28 - Gunn
* I have two of those Thermaltake Soprano cases, one I've been running for well over a year. Good case. Well cooled, lots of room and quite sturdy.
I also had a Soprano case before .

And damn, a bit too late today. Thought that they were open till 20:00...

Anyway my last question. What Timing is better at the memory RAM?

4-4-4-12 or 5-5-5-15 I have no idea what they are for
#30 - Jakg
Timings are the delays involved in accessing memory - can't remember exactly what the last 3 numbers mean, but the most important one is the first one, the CAS# latency.

Lower numbers are better, but CAS is most important.

Timings make a bigger difference on AMD systems but even so timings aren't really that important, although obviously when overclocking you want the tightest (lowest) timings possible.
Quote from Jakg :Lower numbers are better, but CAS is most important.

jakg here is saying that CAS is the most important between latencies. memory, in general must have both low latency and high frequency.
#32 - Jakg
RAM speed is the speed of the train, the timings are the time taken for passengers to get on and off. While it matters, if the stations are a long way apart then it's less important.
For the HDD's I would rather pick 2x500GB Western Digital AAKS series hard drives. I think they are more durable than those samsungs and maybe a bit faster.
Quote from Jakg :RAM speed is the speed of the train, the timings are the time taken for passengers to get on and off. While it matters, if the stations are a long way apart then it's less important.

it isn't that simple usualy ram access is done in a linear fashion which ram can do quite well (random access memory doesn't actually like being accessed randomly:schwitz and when you have that you want high frequencies... when you have cache misses, then CAS comes into play. different situations favor latency or bandwidth at SOME point, but in the end, generaly, you want both.

i haven't read about trains when studying comp arch and cpu design anyway... so i don't understand what to say about it
bought it! thanks guys,
Already did :P and posting it from it

Just a bit confused why does CPuZ say that I have 2,0ghz? corespeed?

but yet it still is at 3,2?

btw, Got around the 100fps back in all of the AI's in Kyoto.
#38 - Jakg
C1E (and SpeedStep) slow your CPU down (drop the multi to it's lowest) when it's idling so it makes less heat / uses less power. It comes back up again when needed, though.
wait, What do you mean with C1E and Speedstep?
#40 - Jakg
They are the name of the two things you need to disable in your BIOS if you want to stop it happening but tbh theres no point.
One cuts yout multiplicator (as you see in cpu-z you have only 6x when idling, but cause some load and it will go up again at 8x), but I have no Idea what the other does.
#42 - Jakg
They both work together to do it - I believe C1E monitors load and SpeedStep actually changes the Multi based on that.
It unleashed it's power. And thanks jack for these kind of stuff . Also thanks for the others .

LFS Community at its best.
I'd suggest you to disable the speedstep and C1E in bios, i have and it wont hurt you when you turn these off, so you can be sure you got full power always, but its your decision.
leave it enabled, because the cpu will ramp up the frequency whenever it is actually needed. when not needed, it drops voltage and frequency so that it uses less electricity and produce less heat. you don't keep your car's revs constantly high, do you?

Time to pick a new one :)
(45 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG