The online racing simulator
AI Car Behaviour
(18 posts, started )
AI Car Behaviour
Hi,
I am about to buy the S1 and S2 upgrades but I do find the AI behaviour dissapointing. They don't seem to take any notice of you on the track. Is this the case with the upgrades or do the upgrades update the AI in any way?
Thanks
they take notice of me... the ai will be improved and its better with s2 online anyways...
People generally buy S2 because of online racing with humans, not offline with AIs.
The ai does have difficulties sometimes- there too 'aggressive' But they do 'learn' in a sence- so if you or put faster cars and slower cars together they will learn to overtake better. you just have to imagine these are very,very stubborn drivers that wont give up corners or there line.

But you want to buy S2 becasue of the wide range of servers avalible(not to mention the tracks and cars)

Its worth waaaay more than £24- trust me and the '000's of others that have it.

Jay
LFS is mainly an online racing sim. The offline aspect... well... I guess it's good for practise but not if you want to have a really good race.
Actually, the AI DON'T learn anymore, they used to learn racing lines, etcera by themselves, but in the recent "AI fixup", they lost that ability for more speed and better racing lines. The AI (IIRC) are still to be fixed up, maybe not for S2 final, but in the future to become more aware.
Quote from chavm481 :they take notice of me...

they love smashing into my rear end... it's like they don't even care that i'm in their way...

that said, i don't think they are all that bad. i've seen worse.
They aren't completely stupid. If you have an AI behind you and you slowly brake (as in, don't brake test him!), he won't hit you. He'll slow down and pass you out
I was testing the AI the other day, and one thing I noticed was that if you dived up the inside of them on a corner, they wouldn't give up their line at all which would normally result in contact, but if you made a very ambitious attemp around the outside then the minute you draw along-side them, they'd chicken out and go cower in a corner.

Oh, hi Jay!
The AI was improved in patch Y, but the awareness of other drivers is still very coarse. Sometimes they run you off the track, sometimes they slam the brakes when you get near them.

Scawen wrote that he had planned some more refinements, but ran out of time when patch Y was due. So, improvements to the AI are somewhere on his to-do list, but nobody knows which priority they have.
#11 - pipa
I do it quite often that i try new sets with the ai. Just fill the grid with 19 AIs and have a bit of fun. They drive quite well untill it gets crowded. Especially at the start when a lot of cars are side to side. One of them always ends up slamming his brakes, since there wasnt enough room for him. Then the rest of the crowd starts to rearend him. Doesnt happen everytime, but often .

Btw hi alex/jay
I have noticed if you try and draft an ai car they start to snake around to shake you off. I also have some fun sometimes by starting the race with 8 UF1 ai cars and me, then i pit and get something like an FXO GTR and then proceed to push them along if i get bored, the UF1s will also take off sometimes if you do that!
put barriers in front of them lol! fun stuff!
Quote from danthebangerboy :I have noticed if you try and draft an ai car they start to snake around to shake you off.

interesting... i do that every now and again, but i've always wondered how much time i'd be losing by moving around vs the time they gain by drafting.
Is there anyway to use the Ai's to test how long a set lasts? i tried a new set a while back on Blackwood over 30 odd laps... Ai's were running almost 3s off my pace, so their tyres lasted, with me, it didnt come close?

Anyone got some advice
Quote from Dizzydarryn :Is there anyway to use the Ai's to test how long a set lasts? i tried a new set a while back on Blackwood over 30 odd laps... Ai's were running almost 3s off my pace, so their tyres lasted, with me, it didnt come close?

Anyone got some advice

you could try enabling "use player settings", i think its under misc. it won't force them to use your fuel settings, but they should use everything else, including intake restriction.

cheers
Quote from bunder9999 :you could try enabling "use player settings", i think its under misc. it won't force them to use your fuel settings, but they should use everything else, including intake restriction.

cheers

have that enabled already... just wanted to know if there was any way to get them quicker
As long as you've got them set to "Pro" difficulty, then no, you can't get them any faster.

AI Car Behaviour
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG