The online racing simulator
#1 - Razza
need a nw computer.. dont know where to start
ok well my computer is 8 yrs old and i found out it is not upgradeable =[ , so im going to be looking into building/purchasing something new or even second hnad if someone has one (wink wink). so heres my dilema, i have no effing clue what you guys are talking abou twhen i read the other threads in here so , where is a good place to shop and should i go laptop or desktop?

if i go laptop it will stricktly be mine and i will run such things as LFS, search the net, and store music on it. but if its a desktop my siblings will also get to use it (i have 4 of them ranging from ages 9-15)and who noes what will be on it then.

so this is my way of asking if you can point me in the right direction or maybe even offer me up your old rig.

PS anything will be better than what i have because im running 15FPS in lfs with everything turned to low or off

and my budget is about 500USD max , i know not alot to work with but im not exactly wealthy
Well you can pretty much rule out a laptop for $500, you'd nearly need to double it for a laptop. You might be able to build your own budget desktop for that money, by finding a few second hand parts. I don't think you'd be able to buy a ready-built one for $500 though, unless they're cheaper in US than here. A second hand PC would be a good option too.

It's really up to you. If you see a nice tidy second hand PC (might even spot a second hand laptop ), go for it. But if you bought each component separately, it'd be far cheaper.

The best thing you could do is (if you can, of course) save up for a few weeks/months, a small bit at a time, and eventually you'll have enough for a new PC. I spent almost 2 months working for my new PC, and it's well worth the small extra wait.
you could get an eee or something like the msi wind, dunno if it is enough for you. just a suggestion
#4 - TiJay
Nah, my Eee doesn't run LFS well enough. It's a 701 but I don't think any of them have faster processors anyway. Best bet would be some kind of Dell with a Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM and at least an Intel X1300.
Quote from TiJay :Nah, my Eee doesn't run LFS well enough. It's a 701 but I don't think any of them have faster processors anyway. Best bet would be some kind of Dell with a Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM and at least an Intel X1300.

oh
good, then.
i did.

It's a guide for buying cheap laptops under $500.
Quote from Razza :
so this is my way of asking if you can point me in the right direction or maybe even offer me up your old rig.

PS anything will be better than what i have because im running 15FPS in lfs with everything turned to low or off

and my budget is about 500USD max , i know not alot to work with but im not exactly wealthy

Just an idea. What if you would look for desktop bundles.
Then you can give your old stuff to the children
and still use the new one just for yourself.

I don't know if this is a good place to shop or if they have stores near you but I mean something like this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/app ... No=3980412&CatId=2629

It's just a bit above your 500$ limit and sure it's not a high end gaming machine (that's out of the question if 500$ is the limit)
but Acer is a good brand and for the price it's a really good deal (including the TFT and the OS). It got everything to let LFS run with more then 15 fps
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Please learn to read. A laptop worth less than $500 (~£150) will not play LFS at more than 15 FPS.

do you even read what you write yourself?!

500 usd is 270gbp, check google, ffs, it was a 5 second search

you don't even try dougie!

i don't care about whatever else you've written, you don't put any effort to write something correct, why should we put effort to read your nonsense?

if it was just you spewing idiocy all over the place, it would be fine, for anyone, but this guy who doesn't know a lot will read your advice and be quite possibly misguided.
pst, hey razza, take a look at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ ... &name=%24400+-+%24500

the laptops that have the 7150M and X3100 graphics, are the ones you want to look at. they are not for gaming, they can only play games at low graphics, but they can play lfs OK.

if someone has a laptop with either one of these GPUs, he would help if he gave us his impression on running lfs.
Whatever, I converted to € and halved, as is the normal rate for trading between UK and Ireland. Everything is twice over there what it is here...And a €350 laptop won't play at over 15 FPS. Just because I haven't properly converted to £ doesn't matter, I don't use £, i went off the € value.

You might wanna calm down, you seem to have it in for me. If you want to keep going with personal attacks though, I've no problems with the shiny red report button
razza, can you tell us what your computer is, exactly? i'm more interested in the motherboard and the cpu.

Quote from dougie-lampkin :You might wanna calm down, you seem to have it in for me. If you want to keep going with personal attacks though, I've no problems with the shiny red report button

report... what? that you are posting without thinking what you are posting? go ahead, realize your childish threat. i have nothing 'in' for you, as i said, i don't care if you write completely wrong things all the time, but when these wrong things are given as advice, then, i am sorry but i can not let someone as ignorant as you (who can't even convert currency) give advice. "personal attacks" ? ha.

3100/7150 can play doom3 at 30+fps so i don't think LFS would bring them to their knees. AGAIN you make assumptions without making even an ATTEMPT to find if what you say is true. i find it rather funny that you tried to correct the mistake you made when converting... yet in the end, you made the same mistake. that a $500/270gbp/350euro laptop can't play lfs at above 15fps... but, no, it doesn't matter... ok...

Quote from dougie-lampkin :Please learn to read.

sarcasm, that is a personal attack, dougie.
Quote from george_tsiros :if it was just you spewing idiocy all over the place

Quite clearly a personally-aimed attack.

Quote from dougie-lampkin :Please learn to read.

More friendly advice. The OP asked for something to run LFS at over 15 FPS, a $500 laptop will not. Sarcasm isn't a personal attack. Claiming that someone is spouting shit is a personal attack. I suppose you'll want me to delve into hours of research into this too? Or you're going to tell me I'm wrong here again? You do indeed seem to care if I post "wrong" things, you've tried to prove me wrong on every thread I've posted in in the last 3 days.

Yea, I made a mistake while converting to a currency I never use. Great observation I think he's quite capable of searching Google if he needs to, it was aimed at Luke anyway, who should surely know his own currency...

Having bought a laptop a couple of months ago, I did look at quite a few. I got one of the cheapest ones available to me, a Advent 9517 for €550 (Core 2 Duo 1.7Ghz, 2GB RAM, some Nvidia onboards video, can't remember the name). It plays LFS at 25 FPS, with one or two cars on screen. A laptop for $500 might scrape 15 FPS with one car on screen, but it hasn't a hope of being useable as his main LFS machine, that would constantly have at least 5 cars on screen.

Starting to get sick of you trying to "prove me wrong" on every post I make, that's what I mean by personal attack. I'm probably going to report it soon anyway, no-one else has ever stalked me on the forum, so I don't know what your problem is...
-
(george_tsiros) DELETED by george_tsiros
#16 - Jakg
£250 will not get you a laptop with a proper graphics card - where I work (bad example I know) you'd need to spend £480 to get into nVidia territory (with the 8400M GS). The basic £299 / £349 laptops use SiS Mirage 3 onboard graphics with the slightly better ones using Intel Onboard crap.
Quote from Jakg :£250 will not get you a laptop with a proper graphics card - where I work (bad example I know) you'd need to spend £480 to get into nVidia territory (with the 8400M GS). The basic £299 / £349 laptops use SiS Mirage 3 onboard graphics with the slightly better ones using Intel Onboard crap.

did you even look at the link i posted?

TOSHIBA Satellite A205-S5867,Acer Extensa EX5620-4025
Intel GMA X3100, $500

is that enough to play lfs at low/moderate settings, yes or no?
I hold no guarantees but looking at the specs I'd say this should get more than 15FPS I would have thought - Dell Vostro 1000, currently US$450

PROCESSOR AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 Dual-Core processor TK-57 (1.9GHz/256KB)
LCD PANEL 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Anti-Glare Display
MEMORY 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 Dimm
HARD DRIVE 80GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
OPTICAL DRIVE 8X DVD+/-RW with double-layer DVD+R write capability
VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemory™ (integrated)
I'd try to get the extra to get an Nvidia card myself, but I don't see that happening under $500 new.
Once again, you guys have scared the fella away with your bickering and bitching. Good job everyone!!
if i were him i'd just get myself an agp card with 50 bux or so and be done with it. maybe get a slightly better proc for another 30-40 bux too. and 20 for some mem and voila.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG