The online racing simulator
Weight Reduction Bug (UF1, LX4, LX6)
(14 posts, started )
Total weights of UF1, LX4 and LX6 don't vary, when their configurations selected as "open roof". In "open roof" option there must be a slight or prominent weight reduction related to hardtop or softtop car structure.

Thanks
Attached images
UF1-1.jpg
UF1-2.jpg
LX4-1.jpg
LX4-2.jpg
LX6-1.jpg
LX6-2.jpg
I agree it would make it more realistic, but if that was the case nobody would race with the top on, which adds a little variety.
Wouldn't there have to be strengthening bars to maintain the rigidity of the chassis in the soft top? Some soft tops end up weighing more than their hard topped counterparts.
#4 - pipa
The open roof uf1 should weigh as much or more than the closed one, but not for the lx4 and lx6, since they are softops. I dont know how much softtops weigh, but its not really making difference. Is it?
#5 - Nemox
Quote from pipa :The open roof uf1 should weigh as much or more than the closed one, but not for the lx4 and lx6, since they are softops. I dont know how much softtops weigh, but its not really making difference. Is it?

I would reckon around 10-20 kg's..

Edit: on the softtops, aren't the tops folded down? Not taken off the vehicles?
What you suggest was initially the case. However, Scawen removed this feature to prevent people from choosing either configuration to have an advantage on certain tracks, also considering that the chassis flex disadvantage of having no roof can't be modelled at the moment.

So, not a bug, but a intentionally left out feature.
Quote from Nemox :I would reckon around 10-20 kg's..

Edit: on the softtops, aren't the tops folded down? Not taken off the vehicles?

10-20kg for a soft top? More like 5kg. On a Westfield at least, it's only the material cover that is put on, the frame that it wraps round is a permanent part of the car (if you fit it). With the soft-top often stored in the car, there indeed should be no difference in weight.
Quote from AndroidXP :What you suggest was initially the case. However, Scawen removed this feature to prevent people from choosing either configuration to have an advantage on certain tracks, also considering that the chassis flex disadvantage of having no roof can't be modelled at the moment.

So, not a bug, but a intentionally left out feature.

But if it has got the same weight, it's not real. Maybe there can be a server option to choose e.g. only LX6 [OR] or LX6 [DEF] (open roof, default).
Quote from ADX.14 :Total weights of UF1, LX4 and LX6 don't vary, when their configurations selected as "open roof". In "open roof" option there must be a slight or prominent weight reduction related to hardtop or softtop car structure.

Not if you put the roof in the boot. At least in the case of the LXs.

On a more serious note - having it on should also affect aerodynamics, however it does not.
Quote from Flame CZE :But if it has got the same weight, it's not real. Maybe there can be a server option to choose e.g. only LX6 [OR] or LX6 [DEF] (open roof, default).

Only the LX cars would have the same weight, the UF would have a weight benefit from the removed roof.
Quote from xaotik :On a more serious note - having it on should also affect aerodynamics, however it does not.

IIRC it also did that, before Scawen removed the weight change. It was removed for the same reasons.
Quote from AndroidXP :Only the LX cars would have the same weight, the UF would have a weight benefit from the removed roof.
IIRC it also did that, before Scawen removed the weight change. It was removed for the same reasons.

But now i think it can be alright now because when e.g. UF has got the roof, its some weight. And without the roof, there is a tube/pibe (the protection against rollover) which has got also some weight
Quote from Bob Smith :10-20kg for a soft top? More like 5kg. On a Westfield at least, it's only the material cover that is put on, the frame that it wraps round is a permanent part of the car (if you fit it). With the soft-top often stored in the car, there indeed should be no difference in weight.

Just weighed my brothers soft top now.. 13 kg's on a small fiat.. I'll send it down to england and get them to send a superlight ultra pro 1337 top back up my way.
Thank you all for precious contributions.

According to me the main point is the rollbar/cage. If these are standard parts of the cars even in the case of hardtop, the dilemma is resolved. So we can mention a weight reduction effect in the "open roof" option.

It's obvious they are necessary for pilot's safety. Via a quick search on the FIA specifications, I have found some interesting points. FIA stated a lot of standards about the the different rollcages. But I am disappointed about the FIA's website, regarding to achieve details. So the following link can give us some ideas related to rollcage standards.

http://www.rollcentre.co.uk/ro ... l/rollcage_directory.html

In addition to this, another resource (the link below, at the end of website page) stated that, the FIA recognizes the need for safety equipment including rollcages.

http://www.mallettracing.co.uk/safety.htm

As a consequence, the rollcage is an inseperable part of the body in my opinion. That's why the "open roof" case shoul be recalculated excepted for aerodynamics.
#14 - T.J.
We also need to think about aerodynamics and frame reinforcements which makes the car heavier..

(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG