The online racing simulator
Version 3 of the rFactor car you might want to try is released! (Corvette Z06 / C6)
Hi folks,

Another big step forward for the physics, sounds, looks.. And the 505 hp Z06 is part of it now too. Those who liked V2 should get it asap! Those who still weren't impressed, perhaps you can have another go.

http://forum.racesimcentral.co ... php?p=3484997#post3484997

A lot more realistic, lots more real data including probably the most detailed tyre info giving us accurate load sensitivity and slip peaks.

and a bug in the readme, THESE are the realfeel settings to use (the car 'name' changed)

[Corvette C6]
MaxForceAtSteeringRack=4800.000000
SteeringDamper=11500.000000
FFBMixerRealFeelPercent=100.000000
SmoothingLevel=0

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, me gonna try it out on the 'Ring
Downloading. Will give some feedback when i've tried it out in a little while.
meh i just uninstalled rfactor cause i needed the space. Now i have to reinstall it again.
If you go at the ring, please use the TDF files that I've also uploaded and are linked to in the rFactorCentral page!
As soon as I'm back from work I'll have a try. V2 was great, except for the whistling and hissing noises
Aewsome man thats just awesome. I like how i can catch slides in this thing. 5 stars.
BTW when you're planning to release that TREX thing? i want to play with it a little bit
There might be two issues:
1) Joining / leaving online games with different models might cause a CTD; not sure yet (we thought we solved that...) Let us know!
2) physics where mainly finetuned on the Ring, for which it turned out i may have used a wrong TDF file. This may have caused a slight lack of balance on other tracks. Its a small change (3% less longitudinal grip by the looks of it) but its quite noticable.
Depending on what we find in the very near future, we may have to release a fix for these issues!
Sorry!
Niels
Yo might you update your avatar soon I think. Well, for me that is.
Speaking of updating avatars...

Niels, should I buy rFactor? Just got myself a full-time job, so that's one of the things I could treat myself to when I get my first paycheck I like the "feel" of LFS with a G25, how different are good rFactor mods? How many good mods are there? (I know of your Corvette mod, then there is Historix, which sounds very tempting--and I have GTL anyway, which I never even installed). Is there anything else? How good are the tracks (which as I understand are mostly user-created content)? On the average, is track surface detailed/bumpy compared to LFS? Do cars properly react to it if RealFeel is installed? I know there are a bunch of famous real-world tracks, but are there many fantasy ones?

My other option would be to wait till next NKP update, try the demo, and possibly buy that. But NKP content is kinda limited...

Sorry for derailing the thread, but I figured I'd ask here — I imagine I am not the only one interested.
Well, its the mods like this that make rCraptor worth what ISI asks. I'd get it if i were you.
Quote from Ahriman4891 :
Sorry for derailing the thread, but I figured I'd ask here — I imagine I am not the only one interested.

You're not. I've been wondering the same thing. Most of what I've seen so far have been bashing contests between the LFS and rFactor camps, which isn't really bringing us anywhere. Maybe Niels or someone else with one leg in each camp can shed some light.
Yo niels i tried your new art,i think its really good,exept the tyre screech,that is just brain killing Keep up the good work
Whoah, a pleasent surprise!

Can't wait to get the car so I can horribly crash on the 'ring. I hope you have included the low grip tires as well

Maybe the ZR-1 next
Just tried it and great job once again. Amazing job actually. Glad you fixed the horribly low quality tachometer and speedometer it use to have (at least for me dont know if it was the actual mod). The tires feel great, the ffb, everything! Nice one.

One little thing that should really be worked on imo is the tire squeal :S It just doesn't feel right really heh.

Nice job, great fun and we shoud host a fun event for LFS users (and any friends you have who own rF) with this car at the ring or any other track. Would be interusting.

I like also how if I don't shift properly while bearly turning even it can lose control. I'm guessing that has to do with the gearbox. Great work.

Looking forward to trying more of your mods.
I'm gonna get this

Had V2 and love it

Hope to see some online games with it up

BTW, if you're thinking of buying rFactor, I think you should - its not as good as LFS IMO, but its a bit more fun and there's lots of good mods, eg F1 79, Champ Car (not exactly realistic IMO but still good) theres a good touring car one and loads more
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUNhek_CvDk

here you can see some moments when not being incredibly insane there is controllable very 'easy' oversteer that is natural to catch without much risk of tankslappage.. Most of the time I just boot it tho.. :P
After trying this car for about an hour I really don't know what to think. The same "problem" is still there, the almost total lack of turn in oversteer. I need to use too much steering, lift the brakes very very abruptly and floor the throttle the get any and to keep it there. It was pretty much the same with the v2 but this time the rear end is more snappy and I rarely can react in time for the quick fishtail backslap you get when the rear bites again...

What it feels like is that it is always the end of the car losing all traction which is taking all the dynamic weight transfer... on turn in it understeers, on exits it oversteers, in the middle it understeers. And for a quite soft car like the 'vette seems to be it feels quite nervous.

I dunno. one of the reasons why I didn't drive the v2 a lot was the lack of corner entry oversteer and it seems it's the same with this. I guess a lot of work went into this car and its physics but somehow I'm not really liking it, at all. Not saying it's wrong, I just don't like it
A real Z06 has stability control to prevent / reduce spins but still allow a lot of oversteer. Normally this is turned on by testers when running hot laps. I'm not sure how formal racing events deal with the stability control of the Z06. The Z06 also has traction control which does a nice job of displaying that it's activated while the tires are spinning like crazy. The traction control doesn't work well because it just retards spark instead of cutting fuel, which seems strange, because the rev-limiter and the torque limiter in the ECU's progammming do cut fuel. The torque limiter is there to protect the drive train and isn't selectable. Drag racers mention that they can sense the torque limiter cutting fuel on a speed shift from 1st to 2nd gear when using drag racing slicks.

There's also some ECU interference with lift throttle control inputs, which is very noticable at lower rpms in 1st gear (or in neutral). This is one of the things that guys who reprogram the ECU's usually get rid of.

Power on the Z06 can be bumped to around 540hp or so with a Killer Bee intake snorkel and filter replacement and ECU dyno tune (about 470 rear wheel horsepower), without any exhaust or other mods.

I don't know if the rFactor mod models the stock Z06 ECU.
Quote from Hyperactive :After trying this car for about an hour I really don't know what to think. The same "problem" is still there, the almost total lack of turn in oversteer. I need to use too much steering, lift the brakes very very abruptly and floor the throttle the get any and to keep it there. It was pretty much the same with the v2 but this time the rear end is more snappy and I rarely can react in time for the quick fishtail backslap you get when the rear bites again...

Hrm - I find this is no the case in the higher powered one (z06?) - at least you can tinker a bit with the toe, camber and ARB settings (didn't check to see if that's possible in the normal model).

Which brings to mind - what's with the positive toe in the front for the z06? At first it kept annoying me with excessive turn in understeer and a tendacy to just plow ahead and not like the concept of taking turns but after removing that and playing with the ARB a bit and adding (removing) a wee bit of camber it felt quite nippy and controllable.

All in all I really like this version. It's quite a nice distraction and the additions/changes have benefitted it in all aspects. Good job.
Quote from Hyperactive :What it feels like is that it is always the end of the car losing all traction which is taking all the dynamic weight transfer... on turn in it understeers, on exits it oversteers, in the middle it understeers. And for a quite soft car like the 'vette seems to be it feels quite nervous.

well the real one seems quite horribly twitchy as well so it might not be that far off
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... rTc4c&feature=related

i havent tried the v3 yet (is there a proper mirror somwhere?) but i know exactly what you mean about the turn in understeer from v2... it just goes straight ahead and theres no feel for whats going on
Quote from Shotglass :is there a proper mirror somwhere?

The one on filefront seemed to work without hassle or delays.

EDIT:
O/T:
Oddly enough I saw one of those cars on the road here the other day - if the TG review is true about the ride quality then whoever drives those things on the roads we have here must be pretty tough, but then again they ought to be be since they've likely lost all their fillings (har har). I hadn't realized how short those cars are until I went next to it, (somehow in the mod it appears taller, or all track-side objects in rF are short) - even when I saw the owner getting out I still thought it was taller since he was a short guy and made for a bad size reference. It had that hood intake that the z06 has, so it was likely one of those.
thx just what i needed
Now I have to reinstall RF again! Removed it a week ago because I wasn't using it anymore, but since v2 was outstanding, and there is the Z06...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG