The online racing simulator
Getting GT, want real driving lessons.
Well, I've finally made the decision to buy a new Ford GT. Although, it won't be until late fall. And, I need some advice. I want to take some kind of real racing lessons. So I'll be able to take the car to local tracks, and be able to be, at least competent. I've already chosen the truck, and a trailer for all this, so that's covered.

How do I go about doing this? What kind of lessons should I take? If it helps any, I want to be able to race the car on any kind of track, most tracks around here are typical of....well maybe BL or Aston. I live near NYC.

I know there's a nascar driving type thing, but I dunno if that's what I'm looking for, I don't think it would be enough. Is there like, a well recognized school of any kind here in the states where I can truly learn to drive a car on a track?

Virtually all of my experience has been drag racing, simpler and cheaper to compete, and anyone can do it. So all my knowledge as far as real racing as been with suspension setups for drag racing, gearing, all that, is sooo different. I totally understand the difference, and I've been to a few tracks (audi driving experience), so I've had at least "some" time in a car on a track, but nothing like a GT, just a nice Audi 2.0T, also I live only 20 miles from Pocono Raceway, and although I'd love to race on that track with the GT, the kind of tracks I want to race I want more complex, chicane stuff, all that in the mix of turns and ya know, a "real" driving challenge. So I guess I could use some advice on good racetracks/events to look into as well, although mostly I'm really looking to learn. I don't want to spend a fortune, and I couldn't spend more than a month away from home.

This is something I absolutely want to do, and I'm in a situation where I'm blessed enough to have the opportunity, and I want to take advantage of it, this is something that would be very fullfilling for me, and I love motorsports, I want to be a part of it.

I know there are people out there that do this, they have a car(any kind, ya know, whatever ya wanna race) and they travel to tracks and run laps with other people, and it looks like a real blast.

Sorry for such a long post, but any and all advice will be greatly appreciated, and I guess I need to be as specific as I can in order to get accurate advice. I know there are real racers amongst us, and I'm sure there is plenty of knowledge that could be shared, thanks in advance everyone.

P.S. I was also curious, is there a particular part of year that this is hot, or do people do this kind of stuff year round, winter included; headed out to racetracks and running laps and having fun, ya know.
I'm fairly certain I posted this in Gen Disc., dunno why it says moved. I guess possibly I made a mistake.

Anyways looking forward to any advice, it would be especially nice if there were someone here doing exactly what I'm trying to do, or having done so in the past.
I and a few friends and family members do HPDE events with the local BMW club (we own Fords and Chebbys). April at Summit Point. July at Watkins Glen, August at NJMP, and October at Pocono. www.delvalbmwcca.org

With this club, you will start in a novice group with a competent instructor. Once you progress in skill, your instructor may give you the option of driving alone.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.
#4 - Gunn
Quote from DHRammstein :I'm fairly certain I posted this in Gen Disc., dunno why it says moved. I guess possibly I made a mistake.

You posted your topic into General Live For Speed Discussion, which is for general discussion about Live For Speed.
What is your tow setup? I just bought a 2004 Land Rover to handle the track car. I'll be looking for an aluminum trailer and brake package shortly.

Oh. check out www.trackpedia.com
Yeah it's a thing to think of. You're certainly not going to tow your GT around with the Mustang. :-/
I'll have a newer Ford Heavy Duty, Turbo Diesel, plenty for the two. I'm buying with some mileage and used, I don't want to spend much because it's really "only" for this purpose. As far as a trailer, a friend said he can help me, he trailers a saleen mustang himself, and I guess knows a bit about trailers. I'll do a little research online too, because the GT sits low, I dunno what I'm gonna need exactly, but your standard trailer won't work that I'm sure of.

Thanks for all the advice so far, I'm copying/pasting everything for future reference. I'm so excited, but honestly, more so about being able to race, rather than getting the car. As far as the car, well, that took me a long time to decide. The Z06 is cheaper, and actually performs very well, but after sitting in one, and realizing how terrible the car is(not the performance, just everything else), I was turned off right away, plus I'm a ford guy, but I admit I considered it, because it's a track car, and goddamn cheap considering the performance. The Top Gear review was very bad as well, and hey, if Jeremy Clarkson approves the GT, I feel good about it. It's expensive, and if it weren't for very special circumstances I'd never have chosen it, I probably would have bought a '03-'04 Roush Stage 3 Cobra.

Anyways, the GT is just nice, it's very comfortable, has all the goodies inside, the clutch is so light I couldn't believe it, fealt like a honda! The feal of the gearbox alone is just, so incredible, such direct, short throws, and the shifter placement is perfect for once. (Mustangs were always a reach)

Anyways, this is the only car I could afford that could run with the more expensive european cars, cars which I could never ever afford, regardless of my settlement.

Okay sorry to be rambling on, and I was thinking, how nice would it be to be able to meet up with a few of you locals and race some....man, I'm really looking forward to this.

It's very very likely I'll be buying new, but certainly the possibility remains I may pick one up used, super low mileage, never on a track type car. I will not wind up at auctions tho, that is out of the question. Anyways from the little research I've done, I shouldn't have much trouble getting my hands on one.

One last thing, oh man how I would love the GTX version! 150HP+, 2" lower, no roof, beautiful, and according to Jeremy Clarkson, it's quite a bit more fun to drive than his regular GT....I bet he winds u buying the GTX....what a lucky dude...

Sry again I just keep rambling on, but advice advice! And thanks for the PM's so far, as well.
you very lucky my friend! while you cruise in real life, we will just have to settle for test drive unlimited...

or stealing yours
Quote from PAracer :I and a few friends and family members do HPDE events with the local BMW club (we own Fords and Chebbys). April at Summit Point. July at Watkins Glen, August at NJMP, and October at Pocono. www.delvalbmwcca.org

With this club, you will start in a novice group with a competent instructor. Once you progress in skill, your instructor may give you the option of driving alone.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

I'm curious, noticing your name and you race at pocono, maybe you're here in PA? I'm in East Stroudsburg, 20-25 minutes down the highway from Pocono Raceway, 1 hour from NYC, 1 hour from Philly. I'm presently working on my garage in preperation for a lift, and a little extension, so I can keep my mustang in there too. The GT won't even be registered to be driven on the street, it will be trailered everywhere. Maybe I'll eventually drive it on the road on sundays or something, but I'm not really the type to show off or anything like that, I would just enjoy a leasure drive in the car.

What exactly do you race, what models Ford/Chevy? I think maybe I'd be interested in this club, I have the mustang for now, and my VR6 GTI(Very good corner car, but only about 260bhp)
Ah, I just found this video, this is exactly what I'm looking forward too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDJjBhG4bW0 Of course I'm getting the same color scheme, red with white stripes.

Not trying to clutter the thread, but I like Jeremy Clarkson and he owns one, bought it after testing it.
I'm down here in Hershey.

The Fords in the group are Taurus SHOs in various states of track prep. My father and I have stripped and caged cars, and there are a couple other more street applicable versions. The Chevy that will be with us in a couple weeks is a Z-06 owned by a former SHO owner.

The VW would be fine on the track for your first outing. My SHO has less than 250hp, yet has no trouble at all in the advanced group (it's all weight and tires with this stuff). There's still time to sign up for Pocono in October.

www.motorsportsreg.com - Best place to look for track events
Sorry Mr Rammstein but, is this for real ? You're gonna buy a $150,000 Ford GT and take it to track meets :jawdrop: Bloody hell dude, did you just win the lottery or something ?

Seriously though, i dunno if it's the same Stateside, but over here your insurance premiums are gonna go through the roof. By way of comparison there's a well know singer over here who's paying $40,000 for a years insurance on an Enzo, and that's only for road use. No telling how much it'd be for track use, but my guess it'd be twice as much.

Why not just keep the GT for road use, to look ultra cool, and to pick up girls in, and go buy a little Miata or something for the occasional track day. That way if you should stuff it into the nearest wall you wouldn't have to sell your house to pay for the repairs.

Jealous, me, never....

We want pics though, or it never happened.

Quote from Mazz4200 :
Seriously though, i dunno if it's the same Stateside, but over here your insurance premiums are gonna go through the roof. By way of comparison there's a well know singer over here who's paying $40,000 for a years insurance on an Enzo, and that's only for road use. No telling how much it'd be for track use, but my guess it'd be twice as much.

Easy. Most insurance companies won't cover you on a race track. Mine won't cover me even though the car is street legal, instructors are present, and there are classroom sessions each day. Sorta takes care of the issue in a round about way. However, there are companies that specialize in race cars and racing events that can help you out.
Quote from DHRammstein :Not trying to clutter the thread, but I like Jeremy Clarkson and he owns one, bought it after testing it.

im afraid he got rid of it after finding out that it was in fact rubbish
they talked about it at length during the news segments on top gear
Lucky butthead. I wonder if I'll ever get enough cash to get myself a Ford GT or an Aston Martin Vanquish or Vantage or DB9. Grr.

Good luck on ur racing journey though.
I would like to say that anything TG says about cars should be taken with a grain of salt. They are after entertainment and not exactly giving the 'facts'. Afterall Clarkson said the vette is still running leaf springs like they did in the 60-70's which isn't true =)

GT is a great car. You are right about the Vette IMO. It has a huge engine with a nice suspension, but they skimp on the other stuff to the point of it looking cheap and tacky, but then people buying a vette would probably be happy with that =) This going to be a trackday only car? If so there are different things you can do.

Up north you will only be able to run track-days from April till October IIRC. If the ambient temperature is below 50-60 or so tracks can get very greasy and it's hard to get tempurature into tires. This being said I am sure you could buy a softer tire to compensate =)

Since you have cash to spend look at having to do a brake system fluid flush and pad replacement every event. Put some racing compound pads on to deal with the constant heat and upgrade the fluid to a hightemp dot3 if Ford doesn't already put it in.

I would get a spare set of wheels and get some trackday tires mounted. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/ ... =(Y)&minSpeedRating=Z This is a good make if your looking that direction.

Other than that have fun =) However if this going to be a dedicated trackday car here are a few more things I would do if it was me.

Rollcage, doesn't need to be fancy, just one to protect yourself if things do go wrong. Mechanical failures do happen and if they are in the wrong spot on the track you could find yourself heading strait for a wall at 160+ It will also help keep the chassis stiff.

With the roll cage you can now put in a proper racing harness. I have seen people use harnesses that attach to the seat belts in the rear, but honestly if that was better than the standard 3 point manufacturers would be looking at changing the 3 point design used in every car today. Without a rollcage a racing harness does nothing and if anything reduces safety. 5 point is minimum and if you like your gonads I have heard the 6 point is better. I have seen people use 4 point harnesses but the problem is in a hard collision you can slide out from under the harness.

Adjustable suspension dampers once you get through a few events. It's fun to tweak around with the suspension parts and see what happens. Mainly ride height ( may be able to use this to get the car on the trailer easier) and shock dampers.

Adjustable anti-roll bars. Both these and the dampening adjusts are very easy to change so they are great for beginners wanting to adjust suspension parts =)

Really not needed but nice to have things:

Fire extinguisher system. Chances are you won't need it, but when you do it can save your life and the car.

Fully adjustable suspension parts. Can adjust the control arms, change out the springs ect. Do your homework on suspensions and what each component does before considering this IMO. It could ruin your whole weekend with one twist of a wrench in the wrong direction, at least the fun of the weekend =) Things like camber, caster ect.

If you want dedicated racing training Skip Barber puts on some good training ranging from an afternoon to a whole weekend. Personally I would start there, they are put on by professional race drivers and they could give you much better advice about racing/trackdays than 99% of the people on the forum, afterall it is their JOB =) Not all of them, some are only drivers, but most of them when I had my trackday experience day with them knew much more than just the driving side.
Quote from PAracer :I'm down here in Hershey.

The Fords in the group are Taurus SHOs in various states of track prep. My father and I have stripped and caged cars, and there are a couple other more street applicable versions. The Chevy that will be with us in a couple weeks is a Z-06 owned by a former SHO owner.

The VW would be fine on the track for your first outing. My SHO has less than 250hp, yet has no trouble at all in the advanced group (it's all weight and tires with this stuff). There's still time to sign up for Pocono in October.

www.motorsportsreg.com - Best place to look for track events

Well my VW is a '97 VR6 GTI, minor engine work, around 260bhp like I said, um, FK silverine suspension, brembro's all the way around, Pirelli P Zero Nero's all around, LSD, shifter, a really cool 10.5" momo wheel(retarded expensive), man, this car feels like your holding a rie rod in each hand, amazing handling. The motor I didn't want much more out of, with the MK4 head gasket, 268 cams, APR software etc etc it runs well, actually a little faster than my '99 mustang gt when it was stock.

@evilpimp: Thanks man, I certainly will, and anyone local is welcome to come, I may even trust you to run my VW on the track. Anyone that would like to join up at an event, this will be some time from now, next spring earliest.

@Shotglass: Yeah there's actually a lot to that. When he bought it, they had a lot of custom work done (Installing brit parts) there overseas when he first got the car.(I'm assuming to make it street legal, I'm not sure). They were having severe reliability problems with it since all the work was done, they explain this in an episode and in print, I don't recall where I read it. They're good cars, and well, I'm a ford guy , and they're much cheaper than a number of cars they outperform. I'm just absolutely in love with the car, and I'm certain the motor is solid, it's a proven engine once used in the Lightnings.

@ PAracer: As far as insurance, the car most likely won't be driven on the road, I'm really not sure yet. But I'm going to do plenty of research and see what options I have, if I can manage insurance for the street, I may, but only a short time out of the year. The rest of the time I'll need coverage for the racing. Again, I'll explore every possibly option, and do my best to find something just right for me. I'm young, 27, I'll be 28 when I get the car, my bday is very soon, perfect driving record, absolutely perfect. May help a bit, but I'm sure insurance of any kind is going to be expensive, and the prices may reflect how much racing I actually participate in, we'll see once I have the car in my garage, and get things rolling. Oh btw, I just found a '05 Ford Heavy Duty, turbo diesel, high mileage(what I wanted, truck is "only" for trailering the GT) for very cheap. Trailer is still a work in progress, but I'll have one before delivery of the GT. Oh, also, I love SHO's, I used to own a '94, with a powerdyne supercharger, good software and tune, weight reduction, suspension, brakes, etc etc. Miss that car, pulled like a rocket.

@Mazz42000: Nah, no lottery, and I don't prefer discussing these things on a public board, but we have a mature crowd here, so, I don't see the harm. I just don't want to come off as some dude goin on and on about money, I'm not like that, i'ts ignorant. So...I won a settlement for malpractice back in '05. Invested 90% right off the bat in a CD, just didn't trust myself to make decisions, and the CD is just about matured. Also I was in a very terrible car accident with a tractor trailer, and I've suffered injuries, I'll be receiving a settlement for this as well, it was an open shut case. The timing is working out in such a way that my CD will mature in just another two months, and I've already signed the papers for my settlement, 90 days or less I should have my compensation for my injuries.(A police officer witnessed this terrible accident, and would have testified on my behalf, it never made it past the deposition. I guess a bad run of luck turned into, well, good in a sense financially, but I do have some injuries that keep me from doing many of the things I loved, and it's been hard on me. Who knows, maybe this is another reason I'm adopting a sport where my physical condition doesn't need to be so absolutely perfect.
As far as keeping the GT for road use, I'm a very modest type I guess, this car is for myself, to enjoy racing, and the car. I feel no need to drive up and down main street drawing attention, I get enough of that in the mustang, and I don't like it. I just want to race. But I may drive it on the street at some point, it would be nice to go to car shows for Fords and other GT's, and more importantly just leasure drives on a sunday after a long work week(yes I will continue to work regardless of the money).
A miata on a racetrack, well sure, it's still a racing experience, but I already have a VR6 built entirely for the track with which I could, but I want this car. Oh, most importantly, they're not as expensive as you may think, and it's not about the money, I really don't like talking about the money, just want advice on what steps to take to be ready for what I want to do About your last sentence, eh, I can understand how people may think this a bit, bizzare, but in reality I've just been blessed with money, maybe blessed isn't the best word choice, I could easliy have been killed in the car accident. But my major source of $ is from a malpractice suite that settled back in '05, that's how I bought my house, my mustang, GTI and Saab, and setup my sons college fund. It wasn't easy getting my fiance to agree on any of this, but she realized my martial arts career is over, I can't do much of anything right now, it sucks, another reason I play video games. Anyways she's understanding, and she knows this will make me happy, and it's not like we're quiting our jobs, and we already bought our house in '05, before I invested the rest into the CD. I wouldn't dare say "anyone" can "afford" a new Ford GT, but, I've just decided I want it, and I want to race. It's something that can be done, and I'm going to do it, the purpose in life is to be happy, and I absolutely love racing, I can't imagine how special it will be for me once I'm actually out there doing my thing. Forget vacation every year, and any and all other outings, I want to race

@Sueycide_FD: Thanks for the tip.

@Riders Motion: I'm getting a late model high mileage, cheap Ford heavy duty turbo diesel for the towing(with service records!!!). I don't want to spend unecessary $ because the truck will likely be exclusively for trailering the GT. If I'm able to get a trailer capable, I may be towing both the GT and my VR6 track car.
You should have got an Aston Martin DBS. Cheaper. Cooler. More Bond like. Anyway you lucky git. hope it is better than clarksons.
Shit man a Ford GT is soooo nice! O_O

I see what you mean about the attention. NYC isn't exactly the safest city in the world either :S. Congrats on the success of the investing and all that. I guess you kinda got lucky about the accident thing too :P.

Are you gunna participate in actual races and all. I'm curious to know how they match up the cars for races. I doupt many people have cars that can keep up with a Ford GT so ???
If you want to track day something, why choose a Ford GT? Isn't that a big heavy and unresponsive to be an ideal trackday car? I'm sure it's quick, but only because it's good on the straights... Why not get something like a full race-spec Radical and blow your mind (and your face right off!)?
Quote from tristancliffe :If you want to track day something, why choose a Ford GT? Isn't that a big heavy and unresponsive to be an ideal trackday car? I'm sure it's quick, but only because it's good on the straights... Why not get something like a full race-spec Radical and blow your mind (and your face right off!)?

Tristan, Tristan, Tristan... Just because it's american it can't turn?

Watch the Top Gear episode It says it all. It can drive like a lotus, speed like a Ford and something else :P.

It's the first car made by Ford that can corner properly and actually really well and has a crazy straight line speed aswell. The steering is light, the gearbox is really nice so the shifting and clutch is light so it's generally good in corners. Just watch the episode.
Quote from evilpimp :Tristan, Tristan, Tristan... Just because it's american it can't turn?

Watch the Top Gear episode It says it all. It can drive like a lotus, speed like a Ford and something else :P.

It's the first car made by Ford that can corner properly and actually really well and has a crazy straight line speed aswell. The steering is light, the gearbox is really nice so the shifting and clutch is light so it's generally good in corners. Just watch the episode.

Can't a focus corner well? I have seen many be flung around a corner. Ford have been making cars that handle well for years.
Iono but IIRC the Ford GT40 came out years before anyone ever knew the Focus was ever gunna be made. :P

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG