The online racing simulator
Hope it's OK to post this here - old PC needs to go
Mods please remove these threads if they're not cool, I'm just trying to recycle stuff that's been kicking around my office for too long.

Got an old PC here that I need to shift. I replaced it last May but until then I was playing LFS on it quite comfortably. Probably wouldn't cope with large grids these days but I don't know - I haven't used it for a while. Offers?

PC is quite old, Athlon 3200XP+, 512Mb RAM, 9800 Pro, XP "Home" license (Ubuntu currently installed but OEM XP supplied on disc), plus mouse and keyboard, no monitor. Again, collection from me in York by whoever wants it.

Edit: I've had a couple of people ask if I could ship this overseas. Sorry - I can't be bothered dragging this huge box to the post office and for the cost of shipping you could probably buy better components anyway.
#2 - arco
If you don't get it sold, you could maybe use it as a file server. Or convert it to a media center box. And since it already has Ubuntu on it, then boxee is perfect for it.
I did have thoughts of doing something like that, but I never switch it on because the CPU fan is so noisy (Thermaltake Volcano 9!). I could replace the fan, but I don't really have a use for it so there's not much point.

It also seems a bit of a waste of power to be running two computers when I only need one.
#4 - dadge
give it to a friend who has a kid who could use it. or put a sign in the shop window.
Nobody I know wants it! I've tried donating it to a school and they didn't want it either. Poor thing.
#6 - dadge
ouch. Saint Vinny's? but if they turn you down then your hammered. you know your shit's old when even the poor don't want it lmao.
Quote from dadge :ouch. Saint Vinny's? but if they turn you down then your hammered. you know your shit's old when even the poor don't want it lmao.

That has to be probably the ultimate rejection

Poor Kev's feeling rejected
I'd just rather not scrap it. I'm a dirty lefty and I grew up on a council estate - I don't throw stuff out that still works!
Kev... Make an epic youtube video with it? Load it with explosives/firecrackers and make it go boom?

A very fun alternative, is it not?

... Break it down for parts to give to people?
... Throw it at a random passerby and go "HAHAHAHA, TOUCHED IT LAST, IT'S YOURS!"
you could probably strip it down and sell it as parts. some people will buy old parts for their old equipment. the CPU's seem to be going from 15 - 40 quid on ebay (quick checkup).

Is the ram SD or DDR1? again if its SD, some people need that. if its DDR1, hold on to it, you never know when a bit of old memory can come in handy (as i found out the other day)

some people would even buy it just because you have a licenced XP with it...

so my advice... if you dont mind getting 20 - 60 quid for it then stick it on ebay.

EDIT: I like dawedusts thinking
Franky, what can I say? The month of time away gave me a lot of time to think and become more creative. Also, a month of being away taught me the fun that is driving on gravel roads!
Thats how i got rid of an old tv. I threw it at some one and went haha t's yours you touched it.

jokes
Quote from Luke.S :Thats how i got rid of an old tv. I threw it at some one and went haha t's yours you touched it.

jokes

For it to be a joke, would it not haffto be:

1) Funny.
2) Not posted directly above you
3) Not utter useless crap in every thread you see.

I wish I was banned again, to save me from such retards.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I wish I was banned again, to save me from such retards.

I was having a chat with Hankstar the other day and we decided it would be a good idea to make us both moderators for 24 hours. We think the forum would be a nicer place the following day.

Mods: Just let us know which day you want us to do. Cheers.
Do you guys really need 24 hours?! I think you could achieve it all in 10 - 15 minutes.

Kev and Hank for mods!
Kev...Charity shops/establishments cannot take electrical goods of ANY description because of Heath and Safety Nazis...if they take your computer and sell it, then some poor sod electrocutes themselves, then they would be liable...end result, they wont even accept an old toaster!

If you cant give it away, take it to your local pawn shop and see if they will "lend" you £50 for it...you don't have to go back to get your puter, or to pay the £50
Failing that, try what I did last summer..I had a REALLY old laptop...(it was running Windoze 1.0 in monochrome!!!!!)...Had builders in and they accidently knocked over from where it had been (precariously ) placed...when it got broke we told the builders we wanted our damaged goods replaced...we got a brand spanking new Fujitsu Amilo out of it
Hmm. Our bathroom could do with redecorating. Maybe I'll set up my spare computer on the side of the bath.
Of course, the bath would have to be clogged, and it would need to have a good 2 feet of water in it too. As a pure coincidence of leaving the PC there as the room is being redecorated. Naturally
That pc should still be able to run LFS just fine. I had a XP2000+ with radeon 9500 en 750 MB ram and that was ok. I replaced it because it was pretty old, but it still ran Windows XP and LFS fine. But it didn't with other games. Funny thing is I discovered I did not like those other games and now still only play LFS with my new PC.

So an XP3200+, Radeon 9800 should not be a problem with full grids if you have the right display settings. I would just keep it, you won't get a lot of money from it and it still is ok as internet pc or (file)server and it even runs older games (and LFS). I've kept mine (although i've given away parts of it, so it's not that usable anymore )

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG