The online racing simulator
flat colours?
(13 posts, started )
flat colours?
is there any way to have flat colours instead of all gloss in your car skins? i have been trying with photoshop cs2 but it always looks gloss on the car.
#2 - Gunn
The gloss or shine is an effect which is independent of the car's skin.
So there is currently no way to have matt colours with no shine.
maby something to think of in the next update tho?
#4 - Gunn
Quote from DAG00BER :maby something to think of in the next update tho?

Probably not. The reflection is a 3D effect applied to the model. To make a certain area non-glossy would mean not applying the reflection to certain polygons. Sounds like a hell of a lot of work for a small gain in skinning flexibility. While I do think that many skinners would like to make some areas of their car non-glossy, I can't see this type of feature being high on a list of priorities for LFS, especially not for S2.
Quote from Gunn :To make a certain area non-glossy would mean not applying the reflection to certain polygons. Sounds like a hell of a lot of work for a small gain in skinning flexibility.

you can easily change the reflection via a setting in the cfg file and if im not mistaken on all textures that come as dds it depends on the alpha channel
wen i get my s2 will other people be able to see the modded reflection?
#7 - Gunn
Quote from Shotglass :you can easily change the reflection via a setting in the cfg file and if im not mistaken on all textures that come as dds it depends on the alpha channel

Great! So tell me how to make just the air intake non-glossy on the XRT.
Quote from DAG00BER : wen i get my s2 will other people be able to see the modded reflection?

As Gunn says, the current graphics engine of LFS only supports basic texture maps without any control over specific shininess via bump/shininess maps. Changing the shininess parameter in the cfg will only be visible by you and it will apply to all shiny surfaces on all cars in your game.
blah no stealthy flat black ninja car for me then lol.
Quote from Gunn :Great! So tell me how to make just the air intake non-glossy on the XRT.

you cant yet the point was the unless im mistaken all interior textures have the gloss defined through the alpha channel so doing the same for the skins would hardly be a major rewirte of the engine
#11 - Gunn
Quote from Shotglass :you cant yet the point was the unless im mistaken all interior textures have the gloss defined through the alpha channel so doing the same for the skins would hardly be a major rewirte of the engine

Wouldn't that mean that every car on the screen would also be effected? That's hardly the same thing as being able to "paint" your car in matt colours. I mean, having a non-glossy paint job is different than just nuking the shininess of the game. With a matt paint job the windows and certain other objects and components (and other cars) would still need to be reflective.
which would be possible with an alpha layer on top of the skin that adjusts the gloss of every single pixel
#13 - Gunn
Quote from Shotglass :which would be possible with an alpha layer on top of the skin that adjusts the gloss of every single pixel

Nobody is saying that it is impossible.

flat colours?
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG