The online racing simulator
what i would like to see is if they could get the devs ON topgear for an interview and bring along a copy of s2 to show them and do some tests or something? im not quite sure but i would really like to see clarkson have an interview with them
Quote from Mr.Ferret :what i would like to see is if they could get the devs ON topgear for an interview and bring along a copy of s2 to show them and do some tests or something? im not quite sure but i would really like to see clarkson have an interview with them

Agree totally, but i would also wait for the full S2, and i would prefer Fifth gear over Top gear...
Anuway, Scawen is from England, i think there is a good chance for this to happen..
Given what the guy said about GT in the video, I think it would be better to wait before wanting to show it off on Top Gear. Not only until the tyre and aero issues are resolved, but until implementation of things like brake heat and fade, varying grip when on/off the racing line, and a fuller range of sounds. After all, wouldn't you want LFS to succeed in the aspects GT failed?

Looking at the easy time he had with the game though, it makes me wonder if they neglected to turn off the game's driving aids.
Since this thread is titled "LFS vs. the rest of racing games?" and turned into a bit of a Top Gear thread, I want to get back to the "rest of racing games" with a question. What are your thoughts on GTLegends if you had tried it. I just downloaded the demo recently to try out. I haven't messed much with it because of the PC issues, but so far, it really feels crappy in the car feeling. The auto clutch system is horrible. It's like you have to rev it to 4000 rpm, then it dumps the clutch rather than feather it off like in LFS. I can't get any feedback in the FF and, though the sounds of the Corvette V8 is awesome, the feedback from scrub/skid sounds gives me nothing at all. The menu's are really arcadey/comic looking as well.

I browsed around the GTL section of RSC and noticed many LFS racers that I don't see here anymore. I never did try GTR to know what the difference was between it and GTL. I just wanted to try it because of the 60's/70's car era. So, what are your thoughts?
Quote from mrodgers :So, what are your thoughts?

Pretty much the same. I have only the demo. Horrible FF and driving feel in general. Physics are even worse than GTR. I hoped it would only FEEL as good as it looks. I think the sounds are a draw-back from GTR, as the whole game too.

Too bad if some LFS players has moved to GTL. It feels like most of the players who really dig GTL think "These cars are just so cool, who cares about the physics? Did I already mention the cool cars?".
Quote from Gabkicks :My DFP broke so i haddnt played any racing sims at all for about 4 weeks. then yesterday i fixed my dfp. :0

the 1st game i played was GT Legends. the game felt much much better with a wheel than the ps2 controller i was using.

Then i played LFS and that totally blew away gt legends. Its just i feel so much more connected to the cars in LFS. the force feedback feels much better.

so... i guess that it really is the game and there's nothing i can do to get it to feel as good as lfs?
Ok, Gabkicks, must have missed that one. One of the downfalls of trying to surf forums on dialup. I click on "new posts" then while loading the thread, someone posts and it gets caught somewhere in the middle where I don't see it, yet the forum marks it as "read".
the version from gt4 seems closer to real life imo and the opinion of people who've actually driven it. . i was just watching a replay a day or two ago... man they really pushed the ps2 hardware to the limit with gt4.

i did tons of laps on the one in gt4 and i recognized most of the turns in the one in gt legends so i guess they both are pretty accurate. there are some noticable elevation differences between each. like the last long straightway is pretty obviously more hilly in the one in gt legends. but someone pointed out that the old nurburgring was like that while gt4 is based on the more recent nurburgring in wich the straight was smoothed out.
Quote from XCNuse :btw, any of you british guys, have any of you ever thought of emailing top gear and telling them about LFS? i wonder what they would make of it

Well, I think they could take a RaceAbout and make some autorcross stuff for comparing. I would like to see the results!!!
From what I've heard about the RA does not handle like that in RL at all. It's much harder and more dangerous to drive in LFS, but it doesn't make any sense to discuss this now because a physics patch is on the way anyways.
#62 - axus
Part of the reason for the RA's different handling in real life is the torsen differential which LFS does not currently simulate. I should hope it is on the list of updates for the next patch.
Well you can be pretty sure it's on his list, maybe not for the patch but marked as to-do. Almost any suggestion you see here has been on his internal list for years but there's simply not the time to add all these suggestions at once. At the moment tyre physics are priority #1 (I guess) and the other stuff we'll see. Scawen's always good for some surprises, too
Quote from Gabkicks :the version from gt4 seems closer to real life imo and the opinion of people who've actually driven it. . i was just watching a replay a day or two ago... man they really pushed the ps2 hardware to the limit with gt4.

i did tons of laps on the one in gt4 and i recognized most of the turns in the one in gt legends so i guess they both are pretty accurate. there are some noticable elevation differences between each. like the last long straightway is pretty obviously more hilly in the one in gt legends. but someone pointed out that the old nurburgring was like that while gt4 is based on the more recent nurburgring in wich the straight was smoothed out.

Yup, GT4 might be the best version currently but I was talking about the old GPL version which has been updated with texture updates at least thousand times. Altough that recent GTL version doesn't look anything near todays graphical standards. I just hope we see a totally redone Nordschleife for netKar Pro (because two crazy guys are making one for the GT 70' mod for netKar Pro).
Quote from XCNuse :^^ how the ?! how'd you get a PAL version of a game while living in the US...

as for the cost of licensing a track.. expensive.. lol VERY expensive at that. Obviously depending on the track, but you'd be better off going out and buying a dodge viper with that money

btw, any of you british guys, have any of you ever thought of emailing top gear and telling them about LFS? i wonder what they would make of it (obviously people here in the US would never see it.. unfortunately they canceled top gear on the discovery channel last year.. kinda sucks)
obviously now wouldnt be the best time, i would wait a while until the physics are better

there are errr..."resources" on the web that release high def captures of british Top Gear whenever they are released.
I just wasted two hours to Racer. I knew it wasn't going to be anything amazing... I even tested it last summer but it was some kind of buggy beta which didn't even have proper controller menus, so I just wanted to give a second chance. And of course test out Nordschleife which is a port from SCGT (Sports Cars GT? I can't remember, did that game really have Nurb or is it again the same old version from GPL?). At least it looks a lot different than most of the GPL versions:

http://torttu.net/temp/pics/racer_nurb.jpg
http://torttu.net/temp/pics/racer_nurb2.jpg
http://torttu.net/temp/pics/racer.jpg (this pic not from Nurb)

Well the game itself was kinda crap. FF is someway near to netKar's but there's no contact with the road so it felt canned. I would say it's close to Gran Turismo class or something. Most of the modded cars seem to be poorly modded. I tested RUF Porsche which is probably one of the best modded cars for it (?). I guess Racer is so popular because everyone just wants to make a own mod car for it.
^ have you tried the d1gp mod? the only reason i have racer on my pc is because of that mod lol. most of the other cars are unpleasant to drive.
Quote from Gabkicks :^ have you tried the d1gp mod? the only reason i have racer on my pc is because of that mod lol. most of the other cars are unpleasant to drive.

I downloaded it and even tested very quickly but I'm not really into drifting so...
LFS rocks.

End of thread.
Quote from Gabkicks :^ have you tried the d1gp mod? the only reason i have racer on my pc is because of that mod lol. most of the other cars are unpleasant to drive.

where would i go about finding this?
Quote from RevMonkey :where would i go about finding this?

http://www.fsr.no/d1rdgp/

Not literally a mod, just a track and cars to be downloaded separately.
Quote from the_angry_angel :LFS rocks.

End of thread.

The truth of this is amazing
#73 - Vain
Quote from the_angry_angel :LFS rocks.

End of thread.

Obviously.

Vain
Get out. We hate you now. :mad:

j/k, sometimes it's best to leave LFS for a while and then come back and see what you were missing all the time.
yeah, you'll most likely come back more skilled. i think for some people (like me ) it is possible to play lfs too much and end up getting bored while stagnating the improvement of your lap times and battle skills :P. at least thats what happens to me.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG