The online racing simulator
Anyone know anything about road race cycles?
(43 posts, started )
Anyone know anything about road race cycles?
Look at doing a dualthlon, so I need a bike, but i haven't got the first idea of what to look for in a road bike, anyone here got any knowledge?
As a beginner I wouldn't bother with the Triathlon/Duathlon specific bikes that you are likely to see on the associated websites. They will charge more for extra bells and whistles they you may not necessarily want or be comfortable with, such as aero bars, with tri drinks holders etc etc.

I would just buy an entry level road bike. Most likely a Giant or Specialized to get best bang for buck. You will find a few other makes in there that will give more value for money, but I'm not in the market for them at the moment so I couldn't say. I'd be happy to comment on anything you do find.

For me, an entry level road bike that will not hold you back in a road race will cost you at the very least 400GBP. I would aim to spend 500GBP minimum. If you have a larger budget...then great. Remember you will probably want to buy stuff like a helmet, shorts/short, pedals (clip in cleats?) and the associated shoes.

Give me a budget and I'll start looking for you
The normal budget, cheap as possible!!!!.

I have found a Giant SCR 4 for £297, any good?
Depends on what you call knowledge...
I just sold my old race bike, a 2006 model Bianchi Via Nirone 7 equipped with Shimano Sora shifting and braking parts. Will pick up my new new bike tomorrow: a 2008 model Cube Aerial with Shimano Tiagra shifting parts and Sora brakes.

I'm not sure on which level you'd like to do this duathlon, but I'd say that one of the two (entry class) bikes I described above are more than good enough to pull a good pace on an amateur level (so far I've found I'm still the weakest link, rather than the bike :P). I've done two quite successful triathlons a long time ago and did them both on a mountainbike... In my opinion it all depends on the level of your competitors and the level that you're aiming to achieve for yourself.

What I know from specific triathlon bikes is that they are normally a bit more expensive. They are pretty much time-trial bikes, very stiff and aerodynamic frame (normally ful carbon), solid rims, sometimes a closed rear rim (for better aerodynamics) and most importantly: a triathlon steer (with arm rests).
Cube's cheapest (new) triathlon bike is the Aerium Pro..

What distances is the duathlon you're looking at?

[Edit] bogey wins
[Edit2] ok, cheap as possible! go for a second-hand bike?
Quote from danowat :but i haven't got the first idea of what to look for in a road bike

The most important thing of all: make sure it's the proper fit. On a properly sized and adjusted bicycle you shouldn't even feel it underneath you. Everything else depends on budget really.

Don't fall for the marketing mumbo jumbo (easily identified if you go through a few cycling-related websites/e-shops). Since you want it for time trialing avoid anyone that tells you things like "this component that's slightly flat provides better aerodynamics" - any upright bicycle is by construction as aerodynamic as the shape and position of the rider (which again brings us back to "proper fit").
Quote from danowat :The normal budget, cheap as possible!!!!.

As long as you get it with a double chainset - the Shimano Sora triple drivetrain sucks balls.
Quote from traxxion :I'm not sure on which level you'd like to do this duathlon.

What distances is the duathlon you're looking at?

[Edit2] ok, cheap as possible! go for a second-hand bike?

Level?, beginner, entry level, the lowest of the low!!!!, the ones I am looking at are generally 5km run, 25km bike, 5km run, I am not that fast a runner, and I haven't ridden a cycle in anger for a long, long time, so I am realistic in my expectations, finishing one from the back would be an achievement

Second hand would be good, but again, really need some sort of checklist of things I would need.
Quote from danowat :The normal budget, cheap as possible!!!!.

Same as this then? I guess it is perfectly OK for a beginner.

I'm just a bike snob! The most important thing is to have a properly setup bike that is both comfortable and reliable. I can't believe the amount of times I have seem people abandon perfectly good bikes because of tiny mechanical niggles that they can't seem to fix (not that they even tried to fix it!).

My first road bike was something like this. Now I have this.

It's honestly up to yourself. The main things I would consider is if you are going to keep doing these sports and participate more in future? e.g. get your money's worth out of the bike.
Quote from danowat :Second hand would be good, but again, really need some sort of checklist of things I would need.

Things off the top of my head that will likely be needed if you get a second hand bike:

- make sure it's the proper size (in case that didn't sink in the first time around) - for a quick check-up on the size you need check out the "fit system" here: www.wrenchscience.com or here: www.canyon.de

- chain
- tyres & tubes
- cables and jackets for the gearshifts and the brakes
- brakepads
- a stem - likely the previous owner will have it set up to his/her preference so you'll probably need a different one
- servicing the wheel's ball bearings - especially if it was ridden in the wet
- a bottom bracket - especially if it was ridden in the wet
- a saddle - for much the same reason as the stem

Quote from danowat :I don't even know what that means

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Giant_SCR_4/5360031621/

The amount of the big cogs in the front - where the cranks are. That one has a double, so it should be ok. In the triple ver of the same company (Shimano) the angle of the chain causes quite erratic shifting and on occassion can lead to chainsuck if you're backpedalling absent-mindedly.
Quote from danowat :I don't even know what that means

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Giant_SCR_4/5360031621/

That has a 'double'. e.g. Two chainrings/gears at the front.
A Triple will have three gears at the front. Easier on the hills, but not really essential once you reach proper road bike fitness. However, for a beginner, a triple _might_ be a good idea if you plan on tackling any BIG hills, I mean steep buggers.

Also, try and find yourself a GOOD local bike shop (LBS). If they are good, they should help you with all this. Unfortunately for a beginner like yourself it will be hard to know.
Quote from xaotik :As long as you get it with a double chainset - the Shimano Sora triple drivetrain sucks balls.

Lol, damn right! Main reason I'm going for a Tiagra triple now! At least I hope they're a bit better!

Quote from danowat :Second hand would be good, but again, really need some sort of checklist of things I would need.

Alright Then I think xaotik has mentioned the most important points for that checklist. Just make sure you're feeling comfortable on the bike.. some basic rules there are: make sure your saddle is set to hip height, and your legs should be almost (but not completely!) stretched when the pedal is in the lowest position.. a vital point there is that your frame size should be suitable for your length. I'm 1.78 and have a frame size of 56cm... I'll try to see if there's a formula for this.
I have to say I really liked the triple deck on my Bianchi for the simple reason that it comes in very handy on steep climbs (yes, even in Holland we have a couple!). If the duathlon course doesn't contain steep climbs, a double deck should do the job

Edit: damn everyone so fast today I might as well stop posting!
Quote from traxxion :make sure your saddle is set to hip height, and your legs should be almost (but not completely!) stretched when the pedal is in the lowest position.

At full length (i.e. pedeal at 6 o'clock) your leg should have a 155-65degree angle between your hamstings and calf i.e. slightly bent (ooo er!). Overstretch, under stretch will cause injuries!

Also, I bet 10GBP your arse will be in a world of pain after your first ride! Even if you do wear padded shorts - which in my opinion is a must. If you don't want to be a full blown lycra roadie, go to a mountain bike shop and get some baggy shorts with a padded liner underneath, otherwise get your sexy lycra out!
Thanks all, that Giant looks like a good prospect, as for hills, we are fairly flat round this way , so a double looks like it should be ok.

Lycra?, damn, I am gonna look H O T Hot!!!
Quote from mrbogeyman :your arse will be in a world of pain after your first ride!

You know.. I still have that, even when my first ride is a long time ago! I just don't understand how these Tour de France guys can sit on their bikes for three weeks in a row. I have quite expensive padded shorts (lycra :shy but that doesn't make much difference... Any ideas on something else I can try?
Quote from traxxion :Lol, damn right! Main reason I'm going for a Tiagra triple now! At least I hope they're a bit better!

Haven't seen those to be honest - on my gf's bike that had a triple Sora I changed the chainset to a compact one and it's running pretty smooth (admittedly the front derailleur from the triple wasn't that good initially but since I'm a cheapskate instead of buying a new one I modded it a bit with a dremel and some creative thinking).

Quote from traxxion :Any ideas on something else I can try?

There must be something with your position on the bike - even after a 400km brevet the only part that didn't hurt (and not because it was numb either :P) was my butt.
If you want a real break through into cycling, try attending a couple of 'spin' classes at your local gym. Do at least 3 classes to see if you like it. If done properly you should be in a world of pain after 10min into the first session You should start to see/feel results after about 2 weeks if you do about 5 classes in that time.
Quote from xaotik :Haven't seen those to be honest

Should be one level up from Sora

Quote from xaotik :on my gf's bike that had a triple Sora I changed the chainset to a compact one and it's running pretty smooth (admittedly the front derailleur from the triple wasn't that good initially but since I'm a cheapskate instead of buying a new one I modded it a bit with a dremel and some creative thinking).

Haha nice one!

Quote from mrbogeyman :If done properly you should be in a world of pain after 10min into the first session

God yeah, spinning... hell! Good tip!
Quote from traxxion :You know.. I still have that, even when my first ride is a long time ago! I just don't understand how these Tour de France guys can sit on their bikes for three weeks in a row. I have quite expensive padded shorts (lycra :shy but that doesn't make much difference... Any ideas on something else I can try?

If it is that bad, then a new seat might work. On my first road bike, I got myself a Specialized BG saddle which was fine, no problems there. However, when I went to the states and started riding over there I had lot of bother. I've been through 3/4 saddles. Currently just got a Fizik Airone, which has yet to be properly tested.

If you think your saddle is OK, then I'd start experimenting with chammy/ass cream! I use it....
Quote from mrbogeyman :If it is that bad, then a new seat might work. On my first road bike, I got myself a Specialized BG saddle which was fine, no problems there. However, when I went to the states and started riding over there I a lot of bother. I've been through 3/4 saddles. Currently just got a Fizik Airone, which has yet to be properly tested.

Hmm ok, like said I will pick up my new bike tomorrow, let's hope that saddle suits me better then!

Quote from mrbogeyman :I use it....

Ok, that helps!
Quote from mrbogeyman :Currently just got a Fizik Arione, which has yet to be properly tested.

I'd been a Selle Italia fan for some time with their "classic" Flite saddles until I got an Arione - somehow it feels as comfy as the Brooks on my other bike. I particularly like that it's mostly flat on top, so even if you're pulling up rpms and riding the front part it's not trying to change your sexual preferences.
Quote from traxxion :Hmm ok, like said I will pick up my new bike tomorrow, let's hope that saddle suits me better then!

Ok, that helps!

Darn you spotted that..
mrbogeyman rubs his butt with creams before wearing tights
Quote from traxxion :Ok, that helps!

What kind of pain is it though? If it's from rubbing/chafing then the cream would probably help - as would proper cleaning of the chamois and reducing the quantity of hair in the nether regions. If it's a "bruising" pain in your sitbones then there isn't much you can do apart from finding a saddle that provides better support and gradually building up your cycling kilometers.
xaotik 'trims' his nether regions...then waxes them..
thanks xaotik.......
Quote from xaotik :it's a "bruising" pain in your sitbones

That's it

Quote from xaotik :then there isn't much you can do apart from finding a saddle that provides better support and gradually building up your cycling kilometers.

Thank god, no butt creams for me!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG