The online racing simulator
swapping LFS to a different PC?
(18 posts, started )
hi guys,
quick question im sure someone here will answer easily, just got a new PC, do i have to D/L the whole LFS again and just log in, and regarding sets/skins, save all sets etc to external harddrive and transfer them into the relative folders on the new pc?

cheers !
#2 - Dru
Quote from neo force KP61 :hi guys,
quick question im sure someone here will answer easily, just got a new PC, do i have to D/L the whole LFS again and just log in, and regarding sets/skins, save all sets etc to external harddrive and transfer them into the relative folders on the new pc?

cheers !

Yes,

D/L a fresh install of LFS and then copy over any files you want to kep (such as your skins folder and setup folder) might also want to keep your cfg file etc as well.

Fire it up and then unlock it..... simple as
LFS doesnt really "Install" itself anyway (if it uses the windows registery in anyway, its at launch, not during install). so copying/moving the directory from you other pc is alright, but since i dont know how lfs operate at launch, you may want to switch the resolution and refresh rate back to default in case your new computer doesnt support it.
sweet as, thanks guys i just hardwired my laptop to the new desktop and it worked
I had trouble unlocking. i ended up downloading lfs again and just moving over the skins and setups.
I just simply copied the whole LFS folder to my mp3 player from my notebook, plugged in the player to the PC and copied up again. I had to unlock LFS, and here you go..
#7 - sam93
or you could got to your local computer shop and buy a File Transfer cable but get a high speed one, it should help for those big files you have and it saves copying everything to blank CD's/DvD's

Edit: Something like this: File Transfer Cable
Quote from sam93 :or you could got to your local computer shop and buy a File Transfer cable but get a high speed one, it should help for those big files you have and it saves copying everything to blank CD's/DvD's

£25??

Use a bog standard ethernet cable, it's impossible not to have at least one lying around. Supposedly you need a special crossover cable, but the ones that came with my PS3, router and PC, all worked fine
Quote from sam93 :or you could got to your local computer shop and buy a File Transfer cable but get a high speed one, it should help for those big files you have and it saves copying everything to blank CD's/DvD's

You have got to be joking. £25 for a usb cable?

/me wishes he had founded PC World if people really are that stupid.
just an idea I thought of, I would pay that much for it either.
So I can use an ethernet cable to transfer files, do you still need a program for this because I never knew you can use an ethernet cable to transfer files to another computer, it would also be a lot faster then a data transfer cable wouldn't it?
You just connect them together, and put them on the same windows workgroup (Computer Properties). It can be REALLY quick if you have good ethernet cards. Even with standard on-board ethernet, it's 100MB/S...USB 2.0 is 60MB/S according to wiki, and USB 1.0 is only 1.5MB/S.
Don't always trust wiki though as it is modified and information added by users, so it may not always be correct.

This is the only way to transfer files apart from CD's, DVD's, Removable Hard Drive and uploading them to the internet, isn't it.
it has been said before and is quite easy to do. copy to mp3 player and tranfer that way.
I don't rely on wiki info, but for something like this it's not a million miles off

Yes, transferring to MP3 player/Flash stick is the simplest way to do it. But if the destinations computer is beside you, and you're transferring large files, just look at the speed difference
Quote from dougie-lampkin :I don't rely on wiki info, but for something like this it's not a million miles off

Yes, transferring to MP3 player/Flash stick is the simplest way to do it. But if the destinations computer is beside you, and you're transferring large files, just look at the speed difference

If I get a new PC I will have to use a cable because I will have to move around 40-50GB of data so if I used a flash stick/MP3 Player it would take ages.
2 wireless usb network dongles? or if both computers are connected to the inteweb at the same time, use this little app. it's very simple to use and it also remebers where you left off so you could spread the transfer into multiple sessions. this is perfect for when your transfering and someone asks if you would like a game of....... it means you can stop at anytime and FT will remember how much has been sent.
Attached files
FileTransfer.zip - 29.5 KB - 156 views
It still remains that ethernet cable is the fastest way to go. Transferring over the internet, even if you have a 17 million GB/S connection, is still limited by the speed of your ethernet cards/cables.

I'm sure you must have a ethernet cable somewhere, so it's easiest to try that first when you get the new PC. If you need help setting up file sharing, there's plenty of help on t'interwebs, or you could PM me for info. Also, once they're connected, it only needs to be set up the first time, then from then on, they'll always be able to inter-connect. It's fairly useful, I use my laptop for wireless, and have it connected to my PC through ethernet for internet/file sharing. Very useful

(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG