The online racing simulator
Individual engine sounds
(35 posts, started )
Quote from piggy501 :You can make your own sounds, and then apply them to other racers throught the SHIFT+ A menu. I do it alll the time.

Yes but you cannot assign different engine sounds to the same car class.
-1 for me , i dont like the idea , My uf1 with a nice engine sound , and other uf1 with a Bling Bling Open muffler VRROOOMMMM annoying sound

Na , i dont like the idea
+1 because, the sounds atm i would love to point out that they are all 1 sound through out all road+GTR cars. And, it would be nice to try to have downloads for engine sounds use, a eng_x folder? and have a switch on/off when u want to download or not.
Quote from Gills4life :Yes but you cannot assign different engine sounds to the same car class.

Actually, in a previous patch it was possible. Like, if you joined a server with one sound loaded, then you could change your sound file but the rest of the same car on the server stayed as what you had set when you entered the server. And then any subsequent cars that join the server had the new file that you loaded. It may have been a bug, though.
Quote from Dark Elite :Quite apart from the unacceptably huge scope for idiocy, I'd be concerned about the LFSW bandwidth too, something that hasn't been mentioned.

Definitely not a viable one, this.

Sam

It hasn't been mentioned because it's the equivalent of being connected to a server for less than a second
In the worst case (all 24 sliders being a float), you're talking about a massive 96 byte per car. A TCP/IP header is bigger than that.
-1 at OP.

Quote from fraghetti :How about that your currently used .eng gets a LITTLE modified by your very own LFS.

+1.
Quote from kingfag :It hasn't been mentioned because it's the equivalent of being connected to a server for less than a second
In the worst case (all 24 sliders being a float), you're talking about a massive 96 byte per car. A TCP/IP header is bigger than that.

Each .eng file is around 200-300KB, and I was referring to these having to be stored and distributed.

Sam
Quote from Dark Elite :Each .eng file is around 200-300KB, and I was referring to these having to be stored and distributed.

Sam

They probably contain the generated audio samples to make it easier to use them. But you don't need to transfer the generated samples, you only need to transfer the modifiers (slider values). The base samples are the same for everyone, so the generated samples can be reconstructed by applying the modifiers to the base samples.
I did consider that, but as all the customised .eng files - not just the standard, unmodified ones - are around that size, they're clearly not saved as slider values. Perhaps they could be at some point in the future, but the bandwidth would be a valid issue if the .eng files we currently have were used.

Sam
#35 - cop3
-1 for me because everyone will share those engines and we want the same engines.

Individual engine sounds
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG