The online racing simulator
LFS Under Linux
(35 posts, started )
LFS Under Linux
Hey guys,

I know I know - there has been many threads about running LFS servers under Linux and what not, but I would like to know if anybody has managed to get a server running, stable?

Please let me know! If so, how!
#2 - Bean0
I had no issues with mine when I tried it, and my Linux experience is pretty poor tbh.

I just followed TAAs guide - http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=9572

Was Debian, so I apt-get'd Wine, unpacked LFS as normal and used the nohup method. The screen method wouldn't launch due to lack of X.
I used to use a custom compiled wine (without X libs) and the server ran fine for months, only stopped for upgrades - so yes
Quote from the_angry_angel :I used to use a custom compiled wine (without X libs) and the server ran fine for months, only stopped for upgrades - so yes

Any chance of the build?
Quote from Krammeh :Any chance of the build?

Well you've not said what architecture you're using, nor what distro.

I've not packaged anyway, but quite frankly all you do is make sure you've not got any of the X.org development libraries (which you'd have to explicitly say you want to install in most distros) download and extract the latest version of Wine, then configure, make, make install (you need the relevant build tools to do this, under anuy debian derivative just apt-get install build-essentials as root (either by su, authenticating and installing, then dropping out of root, or via using sudo):
wget http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/wine/wine-1.1.1.tar.bz2
tar xf wine-1.1.1.tar.bz2
cd wine-1.1.1
./configure
make depend
make
<switch to root, or run the next command via sudo>
make install

Now just run LFS (I'd suggest running it in screen, or under nohup):
wine LFS.exe /cfg=path/to/setup.cfg

It'll complain, but it should run fine provided that dedicated=invisible in the cfg. Any problems with the cfg and it'll just crash out. Obviously you'd need to make the relevant alterations to your firewall and stuff.
Right oh, thanks.

Just toying with the idea of going linux, or windows, for the next box.
My suggestion would be to use VirtualBox, Microsoft Virtual Server, VMWare or whatever on your desktop/development machine and setup a low power linux server to test it first
I have one Linux box running demo server on it.

It's Ubuntu 8.04 with Wine. It ran for days without any problem. It's off now tho. I need to do some security updates then it will be online again.

They updated wine recently so no need to use command promt to run lfs dedi. you just double click .exe like you do in windows system and it works.
Quote from aRIfA4 :They updated wine recently so no need to use command promt to run lfs dedi. you just double click .exe like you do in windows system and it works.

Assuming you're not running a headless server, and you're using a distro which has this level of integration, then yes. I can't think of any hosting/server rental companies that would provide a linux or any unix-like server in that state though.
yeah it's a linux box that i have at home, Ubunru 8.04 Desktop Edition.

I tried to run dedi server in Ubuntu 8.04 with virtual box and vmware so many times but I alwasy got errors, never let me run it.

Then installed on a actual box then it worked like charm.
If you use the ubuntu's package of Wine, then it's kinda to be expected if you're running headless. Their packages are designed for servers running some sort of X server, be it an actual X server, or Xfvb, etc. One reason why I custom compiled my own...
I was using the same compile method before wine released the latest version
#13 - arco
Ah the joy of Gentoo...

~ # USE="-X" emerge wine

Quote from arco :Ah the joy of Gentoo...

~ # USE="-X" emerge wine

use flags... what can't they do?
Hello!

I want to ask, that is there any solituion, to run an lfs dedi host without wine?

Or the devs do not want to create an official linux dedi host pack?
many other games has the linux version to host a server.

ps.: sry, if wrote it to wrong place.
#16 - Migz
Quote from mackosajt :Hello!

I want to ask, that is there any solituion, to run an lfs dedi host without wine?

Or the devs do not want to create an official linux dedi host pack?
many other games has the linux version to host a server.

ps.: sry, if wrote it to wrong place.

As far as i know the only way to run lfs dedi is with wine/any other programme that's similar .

I dont really think the lfs team have the time to create a linux dedi host pack.

And im installing linux to my ps3 soon, and then hopefully i will be able to use it as a server if wine permits.
... Migz, you will not be able to run wine on your PS3. The architectures are different. PS3 = PowerPC, PC's = x86.
#18 - Migz
Quote from dawesdust_12 :... Migz, you will not be able to run wine on your PS3. The architectures are different. PS3 = PowerPC, PC's = x86.

> At the moment Wine can be used on ppc/linux for porting programs using winelib.

Mind you that may be wrong, but i'll never know until i try.
Porting programs --> Meaning that developers can use winelib to build the program to make it cross-architecture. Scawen would need to specifically build LFS dedi with winelib, and code modifications to get it to work.
#20 - Migz
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Porting programs --> Meaning that developers can use winelib to build the program to make it cross-architecture. Scawen would need to specifically build LFS dedi with winelib, and code modifications to get it to work.

Oh Damn you, you've ruined everything!!!

Linux is wayyy faster then windows on the internet, and seeing as im at only 2mb/s if linux was able to run close to that then that would've been better then crappy windows running nowhere near it.

*breaks down emotionally*
#21 - Migz
Quote from dawesdust_12 :... Migz, you will not be able to run wine on your PS3. The architectures are different. PS3 = PowerPC, PC's = x86.

It is 4:34 in the morning, i have been working my ass off all night to say this one thing.

Your wrong

And on top of that. I can host with my ps3.
... Reading, to get that to work, you're still technically emulating a x86 processor using QEmu. So you're still wrong, becuase you're doing the same as if you were to install BOCHS or QEmu and to run a virtual Windows through there.
#23 - Migz
Noppe

You said i cant run wine on my ps3 but i could have wine running on my ps3 currently if i wanted. It doesnt matter if its being emulated or such. Because its still running. You never said you wont be able to get wine running on your ps3 without emulators, Therefore im right.

Although what does QEmu have to do with WINE?
NO linux files will be?

simpli linux, not wine, mono etc.
Step 1: Install Ubuntu for PowerPC
Step 2: sudo apt-get install gcc cpp make glibc-devel build essential
Step 3: get wine sources
Step 4: compile it
Step 5: enjoy it.

BTW, which GFX card is on PS3?

LFS Under Linux
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG