The online racing simulator
#1 - lerts
are circuits raced both senses in s2?
i wouldnt like this, quite unrealistic, circuits are very studied but they just work well one sense, never heard of monza going each sense
What!?

Do you mean can you drive the tracks each way?
Maybe if Monza, Oulton Park, Motegi, Assen, Brno and Macau were the only circuits in the entire world, and building new ones was a job which (for one reason or another) took far far far longer than everybody expected, and there were races there every hour of every day, then they would use them in the opposite direction occasionally too.
huh?

if i am reading this right, you are saying that tracks are only shown in one scence, sight.

so how would you get the smell? and even make the exact same one getto you?

and btw, they are 2 sences, sight and sound
How would racing them in the opposite direction alleviate that problem, though, Sinbad? A circuit in use is in use, putting cars on track in the opposite direction would actually create a big, big problem in the form of head-on collisions. Solving that means having the races at separate times, would would remove the need for the reverse trajectory.
Quote from MAGGOT :How would racing them in the opposite direction alleviate that problem, though, Sinbad? A circuit in use is in use, putting cars on track in the opposite direction would actually create a big, big problem in the form of head-on collisions. Solving that means having the races at separate times, would would remove the need for the reverse trajectory.

They'd, and spectators'd, get bored- a 20 race calendar with 6 tracks cycling in every single race series on the planet
"Hey, let's try the other direction!" "Okay, that sounds like a nice change". That's exactly how it would happen. I'm obviously 1000% serious about the whole thing, I feel I'm making a very poignant observation in this epically important thread.
I used to be quite regular at a local indoor kart track, i'd marshall in exchange for free track time, and sometimes we'd run the circuit backwards for a laugh - flippin' dangerous though, and not something we could have the punters do, the safety precautions where all designed for the track in 1 direction.

LFS' fantasy tracks are designed with both directions in mind, hense racing the circuit backwards is not a problem.
Several tracks, including Knockhill, are licenced to run in either direction.
I'm not an track designer nor do I know all the various types of turns, but I'd imagine a circuit designed to work in both directions can simply never be as good as one designed to only go in one direction.
Quote from Technique :I'm not an track designer nor do I know all the various types of turns, but I'd imagine a circuit designed to work in both directions can simply never be as good as one designed to only go in one direction.

It's really not as simple as that, most of the planning for a circuit these days focuses on squeezing all the facilities in, corporate entertainment, paddock , race schools and cafe and other revenue generation schemes. Circuit layout is almost secondary, and getting a licence to run a circuit the other way is a lot of extra expense, a lot of extra safety installments, and to what end because you dont end up with a second track you can use in parallel, your not selling extra spectator tickets, and your not generating more revenue from your commercial instalments.

It's rare enough that real circuits have combo's - though some do, those that usually run 1 particular combo because that's the "standard" circuit.
Quote from Becky Rose :I used to be quite regular at a local indoor kart track, i'd marshall in exchange for free track time, and sometimes we'd run the circuit backwards for a laugh - flippin' dangerous though, and not something we could have the punters do, the safety precautions where all designed for the track in 1 direction.

LFS' fantasy tracks are designed with both directions in mind, hense racing the circuit backwards is not a problem.

I did pretty much the same thing when I was younger. there was turn which had a really fast entry speed going in and the natural line would lead you straight into an upright support, a real seat of your pants type of corner.

Racing in the dark using a flashlight to see where we were going was lots of fun too.
Quote from Mike Bingo :I did pretty much the same thing when I was younger. there was turn which had a really fast entry speed going in and the natural line would lead you straight into an upright support, a real seat of your pants type of corner.

Racing in the dark using a flashlight to see where we were going was lots of fun too.

And dont forget the fun to be had when one of the marshalls gets out the fire hose at the hairpin without warning Or taking a Formula C around a tight indoor track! Actually the latter wasnt fun, I spun so often the constant push starts had me exhausted !
Edit, post removed, i've only confused myself here...
I think that Fernbay Gold is designed to go in only 1 direction
Quote from chanoman315 :I think that Fernbay Gold is designed to go in only 1 direction

What makes you think this? I think this is one of the tracks thats brilliant in both directions.
because of the curves?
Some tracks are even nicer in the reversed configuration, I think AS2R and WE1R are better then the 'original' ones
Quote from duke_toaster :Several tracks, including Knockhill, are licenced to run in either direction.

The Nürburgring Nordschleife is also driven in both ways. The Rally Cologne-Arweiler uses the Nordschleife reversed as a special stage.
Quote from TFalke55 :The Nürburgring Nordschleife is also driven in both ways. The Rally Cologne-Arweiler uses the Nordschleife reversed as a special stage.

Didn't know that. Is there any good onboard footage for our viewing pleasure?
Its a pity that we cant have mirrored circuits too, that would give 4 options to each combo.

I like the fact that the circuits are used both ways, its only in that last year that i have been driving the reversed circuits.

Simon
Quote :Its a pity that we cant have mirrored circuits too, that would give 4 options to each combo.

I nearly suggested this once. I was playing around with LFS' SMX files and loaded the track with what's called twisted thumb ... actually dont worry about that, I mirrored the track by accident and the result was I got totally lost.
It's all in the design of run-off areas, pit entrances and such. I got to run Jefferson Circuit at Summit Point in both directions this Spring. It was a great learning experience since the track was built with decreasing radius corners. The whole dynamic of the track was reversed on the second day.
Quote from chanoman315 :I think that Fernbay Gold is designed to go in only 1 direction

Quote from mcintyrej :What makes you think this? I think this is one of the tracks thats brilliant in both directions.

I have to agree with chano; it feels unnatural.

Someone needs to buy lerts S2, so he can analyze each track in lertsvision©. You know, have him smoke 2-3 bowls of...uh, stuff, a bag of crisps, and off he goes.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG