The online racing simulator
Steering lag problem
(12 posts, started )
Steering lag problem
Hi folks!

I have just said hello again to LFS, after quite a while. Gotta love the way it looks and sounds now, with patch Z. I still find this sim trully unbeatable in certain areas But...

I'd always found LFS to be great at steering accuracy - so much better than rFactor with its steering lags. In LFS, I always found the on-screen wheel to be nailed to my physical controller. Not any more...

I now have a TERRIBLE wheel lag, it looks like a particularly calm student driver is holding the onscreen wheel trying to follow my moves. I can jerk the wheel abruptly, and that other guy starts turning slowly, and ends the movement smoothly a second or so after I end my move.

I have a G25, 0 steering angle compensation, on-screen angle the same as on wheel. Framerates are 70-80 most of the time.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks
Make sure to set the "Analogue steer smooth" to 0 or something close to 0. Also, if you have an nVidia card, reducing the D3D prerender limit from 3 to 1 or 0 can help.
This is what i don't get about some simmers. Why do you want a steering wheel on screen ??? You are using one in front of your face already, no?

Just turn the steering wheel on screen off and youer problem is instantly solved
No, because the onscreen wheel is representative for the ingame steering input. Without the wheel onscreen the problem would still be there, you just wouldn't have noticed it immediately.

VVV VVV
Quote from Intrepid :Just turn the steering wheel on screen off and youer problem is instantly solved

Not if the steering lag remains which the problem he has with the virtual steering wheel would hint at.
I think an on screen cockpit without a wheel in place looks wierder than having one on screen
How does it look weird without the onscreen wheel showing?

That's 60 degree FOV. Of course, perhaps if you sit in the back seat with the front seat removed with your view, perhaps it would look weird.

But then, FOV to make it look like you are sitting in the back seat is weird in it's self. Got to have some long legs to reach the pedals in this one....

Grrrr....... my net connection at work is like being on a 19.2k modem.....
Because your POV is different to mine, looks like you have your nose on the windscreen, how can you have any sense of peripheral vision with such a "tank drivers" view?

Something between the first and second shot is about right, I prefer to see some of what I see in my peripheral vision on screen.

Obviously everyone is different, and there is no right or wrong way to view the cockpit......
Which reminds me - we need ventilators implemented: it's obvious from that photo that mrodgers tries to clear up the inside of his windscreen with his hand whenever it steams up.
Quote from AndroidXP :Make sure to set the "Analogue steer smooth" to 0 or something close to 0.

Thanks, it made all the difference (4s per lap on RWD cars, too)! Unlike another post here

I wouldn't have noticed the problem if not for the wheel visible. Not only does the cockpit w. wheel look more natural, it also gives me a better idea of what the computer is doing - especially in ISI sims, with some combinations the lag is more than with others, and then I know I have to watch out. Or reduce graphics next time.

Aaand the new wheels in LFS look soooo sweet! Great job on the interiors.

Now, if only the devs could figure out static shadows under cars...
Quote from mr_pio :Thanks, it made all the difference (4s per lap on RWD cars, too)! Unlike another post here

Glad to hear you got it worked out.

Quote from xaotik :Which reminds me - we need ventilators implemented: it's obvious from that photo that mrodgers tries to clear up the inside of his windscreen with his hand whenever it steams up.

Those are fingerprint smears from the kids, not steam And, I can not reach the virtual windscreen without leaning forward in my chair, just as I can't reach the windscreen in my real car without leaning forward in my seat.

The comment was made about not having the wheel drawn on the screen. You already have a wheel in front of you. This is my comparison photo, IRL. You'll have to excuse the fact that I leaned towards the middle of the vehicle as I was taking a shot of the moron in front of me with the junk piled high in the back of his truck. For some reason, the photo was less blurry, but I think Photobucket compresses some images now if they are too large in size....

As you can see, from my POV in a real car, I can not see my 12 foot long legs with my view straight ahead. For peripheral view, you need to have a multi-monitor setup. Else, it just looks ridiculous. I can't see beside me in such detail unless I move my head. I do that with the look function. I don't know how you guys can drive with the view so skewed and stretched with large FOV values. Even 60 degrees is too much and I reduce it down more sometimes.

It's all about simulating the view inside a car with the steering wheel (wheel controller in front of you), dash area (area between the wheel and the virtual windscreen, and windshield (sorry, windscreen, but this is the monitor glass). My virtual windshield (the monitor) is no closer to me than it would be for real. Nor is my virtual windshield stretched out to look like it's 10 feet away.
Quote from mrodgers :Those are fingerprint smears from the kids, not steam

Yeah - figured as much, just thought I'd poke some fun into it seeing as I could not make out any amusing reflections on the screen itself.

As for wheels on screen, etc I just see it as a matter of preference - I can understand why some people want it visible although I don't have it on display in my game.

Steering lag problem
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG