The online racing simulator
Buy it to support Dev's, If its big...Oh well, still supporting LFS!
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
Quote from Scawen :Well my main point about the force feedback is the strength of the force.

After about 100 laps in the real car, my arms were very tired, and by that point of the day I found it quite hard to get out of the car when I pulled in for a break. It was just so hard to lift my body after all that driving - my arms were kind of numb and felt like jelly. Although I can drive a road car all day long and my arms are fine - it's completely different. And even after just a few laps, coming round the high speed chicane and turning right onto the straight, I was longing for the straight, where I could relax my arms. It was just much harder work than you will get from a normal force feedback wheel.

And that is although my arms are relatively quite strong, although I admit I'm not very fit right now but I've been a biker since age 19, and did some upper body training for a week before using the FBM, still, the forces were very strong.

And the thing about saying a sim is like real life... well the limit is that limit where you can say a film is realistic. OK, a war film can be realistic but it's not going to be just like being in a war. And a picture of mount everest may be nice but I think it's going to look a whole lot bigger if you are actually standing looking at mount everest.

It is a lot more physically difficult in the real car, especially something like the FBM. Because you are being inundated with sounds, smells, forces, fear, everything from the real world, it is very hard for a one time drive to really be able to say definitively, "yeah, that was like LFS". It takes a while to start noticing the more subtle things the car does under loads. Once you get used to the real, physical environment and all those other inputs (sound, fear, etc), then you can really start the analysis (as long as you aren't too tired by then).

Does the Challenge allow the drivers to do their own setups? If it does, then I would expect that most will say the sim doesn't drive like the real car. The setup has so much to do with the car feel that it will override any of the physics behaviors. For example, the drivers will complain that the real car understeers a lot more than LFS, or that LFS lets you put the power down too quickly/easily compared to the real car. Those things can be greatly changed with some pretty small setup changes.

And Scawen, I wouldn't doubt you are better in the real car than in the sim. I would suspect most people would be.
I was thinking of competing in the V1 Championship but only two problems

1. My parents hate seeing me do anything with cars or racing for a career or even a hobby. My mum doesnt even let me buy a MOMO wheel

2. My age at 14 its a bit young to drive an FBM isnt it. but i could with a little finese and a firearm

Reading Scawens post who much would u sweat in a BF1??
Depending on where you live, a reasonable option is go-karts that you rent. Even the indoor tracks can be fun. The cornering forces are high, well over 1 g, about as much or more than most non-downforce racing cars. Most go-kart tracks are setup so spins won't result in damage, so the drivers can push the karts much harder than they would a full sized car.
buusap at age 14 is great to start a career
How strong must be the Force Feedback option set?
What do you Recommend Scawen? Whats nearly Realistic?
Thats one off my Biggest Question i have to you.

I use the default of 100 mostli on Fwd. On Rwd cars i turn it down to 30-50%.
#32 - SamH
Quote from buusap :I was thinking of competing in the V1 Championship but only two problems

1. My parents hate seeing me do anything with cars or racing for a career or even a hobby. My mum doesnt even let me buy a MOMO wheel

2. My age at 14 its a bit young to drive an FBM isnt it. but i could with a little finese and a firearm

At 14, you are old enough to take part in the competition but this year the competition is focused mainly on the UK. You're a bit far away, tbh.

The truth is that whoever succeeds in the competition is going to need their parent's support if they are still legally a child. Not financial support.. no worries on that front.. but it would be impossible (and, of course, wrong) for V1 to put you into a real racing car if your parents disapprove.

Still, there is nothing to stop you taking part in the simulator phase of the selection process and I would encourage anyone to do so, if only just for fun! The LFS portion of the V1 Championship selection process is very much a real part of V1. Nobody will be considered for V1 unless they have demonstrated the qualities that V1 are looking for, in LFS.. so for the experience alone, I'd say it's worth taking part - just to be able to say you tried out for a real racing career!
Quote from SamH :At 14, you are old enough to take part in the competition but this year the competition is focused mainly on the UK. You're a bit far away, tbh.

The truth is that whoever succeeds in the competition is going to need their parent's support if they are still legally a child. Not financial support.. no worries on that front.. but it would be impossible (and, of course, wrong) for V1 to put you into a real racing car if your parents disapprove.

Still, there is nothing to stop you taking part in the simulator phase of the selection process and I would encourage anyone to do so, if only just for fun! The LFS portion of the V1 Championship selection process is very much a real part of V1. Nobody will be considered for V1 unless they have demonstrated the qualities that V1 are looking for, in LFS.. so for the experience alone, I'd say it's worth taking part - just to be able to say you tried out for a real racing career!

If my parents were behind me I would go to the UK just to do it.
Hmm Sam, so I can sign up, compete and all but turn them down last minute? I'd think that's just wasting their time and they'd really want people who can move to the UK. I mean if it was in Canada I'd probably be practicing already and I'd be behind my racin wheel all day and night! This is the kinda things that I just wouldn't let go. But moving to the UK O_O :S
If ur passionate you would
#36 - SamH
1. I'm 15
2. I'm not sure my parents have the money to restart they're whole life somewere else so that I can get a chance at a career.
3. Geez im passionate as hell and I would do it if it only depended on me!
Quote from evilpimp :1. I'm 15
2. I'm not sure my parents have the money to restart they're whole life somewere else so that I can get a chance at a career.
3. Geez im passionate as hell and I would do it if it only depended on me!

How about this
since I'm getting a job soon u should too and we both save for about 2 years. Then we join our money together book a hotel then fly to the UK and its all good Who knows we may be beside eachother for Mclaren in 5 years
Quote from buusap :How about this
since I'm getting a job soon u should too and we both save for about 2 years. Then we join our money together book a hotel then fly to the UK and its all good Who knows we may be beside eachother for Mclaren in 5 years

Sounds good, was countin on getting a job soon enough anyways. Keep in touch and we might be teammates with Mclaren :P.
Sure
Whats ur msn?

Also this might just happen
I have formed a plan
or honda what about honda you haters.

i am one of those very lucky to have raced karts, though i stopped years ago because the track was a long way away and the budget seriously wouldn't run to it. whoever said karting was affordable must have been thinking about nuclear war at the time, because its definitely dog eat dog on the real racetrack.

scawen really said it with his mount everest analogy - it has aspects of the real thing, and if its good it will have core aspects of the real thing, and thats it.

my track experience with karts was one of vibration, the sort that makes your skin itch like glassfibre. bruised ribcage, cramped hands, watering eyes, the smell of petrol and moreso of hot tyres and movement everywhere you turn your head are all left out of lfs.

they're replaced with telemetry you can read, air you can breathe, adjustments that dont cost money, teleportation between racetracks and cars that grow on trees. there are no 'its legal if the scrutineer doesnt comment' modifications and the sociability quotient is [okay generally] way up compared to race day with the local megalomaniacs. best of all, CAMS is left out with their fees and forms.

i agree that many of the skills are common - focus and anticipation with an attempt at calm and smooth responses for driving, patience and a certain level of calculating detachment for long races, and application of the scientific method to problems like setup, line and When Not To Pass.

therefore in terms of immediate experience, a skateboard is closer - buy one and see. over a longer term however, as it all gets more familiar, lfs gets closer to the actual business of racing. then over the much longer term, through the seasons, it moves away again and back into its own territory - it remains similar whatever the weather, time of day or state of the piston ring is. i think it has its own zone, which converges with 'the motorsport reality' somewhere in the middle, gradually expanding each way.

if you can visualise this then you might understand if i say i hope it doesnt totally eclipse it - then i would miss them both

as for the actual V1 championship, i'd probably hate the real thing but tryouts might be fun - can we do it in the antipodes and how?
i_MAXIBON y dont u join us
Where abouts australia u from?
#44 - Dac
racing is just too expensive unless you are mega wealthy parents. if i was to go racing id never do the cheap banger racing or grasstracking rubbish. it would have to be a track, no-contact type racing - which is just too costly.

i still havent been round a race track even though the sign for Croft circuit is visible from my house and says 5 miles lol. one day i will but for now id prefer to keep my hard earned money.
Quote from buusap :I was thinking of competing in the V1 Championship but only two problems

feal sorry for you, my parents are actually opposite to yours than. they like it a lot when i do something with cars (karting or just driving cars)
Then how come u dont have S2?
#47 - Dac
Quote from buusap :Then how come u dont have S2?

your parents are just being ignorant. you need to show them what LFS really is and how it can benefit you. LFS as im sure your aware is not just a game, its a simulation of driving, racing and race car dynamics. in each one of those categories is a whole wealth of technical information which many people have yet to come to terms with.

your parents may just think its like another other game, you play it, you waste time and then you leave it. this is different. this requires knowledge and understanding of some very difficult concepts which can only benefit your education.

i study Psychology at university and i can tell you now the mind IS like a muscle. the more you work it, doesnt necessarily matter how you do this, it will get stronger. is it no wonder that a doctor of music can be just as intelligent as a doctor of medicine? no its not. people use the information constructs that they aquire in life to understand new material. understanding the material ive mentioned will help you grasp other concepts such especially maths and physics.

tell them this ffs! i hate ignorance.
Quote from Xenix74 :How strong must be the Force Feedback option set?
What do you Recommend Scawen? Whats nearly Realistic?
Thats one off my Biggest Question i have to you.

I use the default of 100 mostli on Fwd. On Rwd cars i turn it down to 30-50%.

It's just a matter of preference. If you turn it up too high, to try and make small forces match reality, then the problem is that the medium and large forces are all the same... "maximum".

So it's better not to have the LFS setting too high. This allows your wheel to express a wider range of forces.

I recommend the setting in the wheel drivers should be 100% force, zero damping and spring. What you don't want is an additional "spring" force applied by your wheel drivers, trying to pull it back to centre. Because in reality, "centre" is not always at the centre, for example if the car is going round a corner a bit sideways - and LFS handles that. You know the driver settings are right and no additional spring forces are applied if, when your car is stationary in LFS, the wheel feels loose and you can just put the wheel at any position and it will stay there. LFS doesn't apply forces when the car is stationary, so at that point the wheel should be loose (although that does not match real life, I know).

Then LFS is responsible for all the forces in the wheel, now adjust the LFS force output with the ',' and '.' keys (< and > on some keyboards) to give the best feeling and range of feeling.
Quote from buusap :Then how come u dont have S2?

simple thingy, they dont trust to internet's safety and are afraid to put their serial to internet
i do race to and somtimes with cars. last wednesday i did the dunlop drivers cup here in the netherlands. it was a lot of fun.

i can say that LFS has a lot from reality understeer/oversteer/ overtaking and the way how to stop understeer/oversteer. thats why this is the only game/sim that i play for 3 years on and on. also the feeling of speed is verry good. i don't know if you guys had the same thing: playing LFS the whole day and in the evening you went out with yr real car and then cutting the corners to the max and going on the highway and thinking, Man this is going slow! :P

there are only a few complants about LFS.. well not realy complaints but it can be better and that is the tires. with some cars they just went to red hot in a few laps, also with a good set. and i hope there will be slicks for the UF1, XFG,XRG,RB4,FXO,XRT,RAC,FZ5,LX4/6 to. but thats off topic right now

@scawen: wich wheel do you use for simracing?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG