The online racing simulator
LFS v Reality - soon will be answered:)
as much as this topic was chewed again and again, it just popped to me that as soon as V1 driver selection begins, I hope those lucky(an talented, of course) ones who'll try FBM for real will write their opinions about how lfs fares opposed to real thing.
once and for all!!!
can't wait.....
#2 - JJ72
well you can ask scawan......
a lot more adrenaline, I'd imagine.
It's very hot in the real thing! I mean, when you are not moving. And it's more annoying than in LFS when you spin and forget to put in the clutch, so wrecking the starter motor. Also a bit disturbing when you bend the front wing and damage the nose cone and realise they are quite expensive!

A bit nervous pulling out into the track when you really can't see behind you and the mirrors aren't wide enough to cover the massive blind spot. LFS simulates the view issue quite well now if you are in cockpit view. Anyway I guess the biggest difference was the noise, the strength of the force feedback, this feeling of being strapped tightly right in there and hardly able to see over the front, although apparently I was actually too high. Another very important thing is being able to feel the forces and tyre skidding with your own body. I think that can help to find the limit more accurately in reality (at least for me - I have got a feeling I am better in reality than in a sim - I hope so anyway, but maybe I am just kidding myself). Spins can still take you by surprise and one thing of course is in reality you are less willing to spin off.

The whole feeling is a lot more intense. Computer screen / speakers and force feedback wheel just can't really replicate it. Though I feel the general skills are similar.

Anyway yes, I look forward to hearing from others, specifically someone who has driven the LFS one before the real thing.
So, Scawen you would say the sim is close to real life, although you can not fel the obvious real to life things that ocuer in a car?
#6 - JJ72
it is possible that a sim is close to real life, but the interface between the sim and your physical experience fails to transfer all the details.

a sim with keyboard, with a wheel, with a motion simulator is at the core the same sim, simple as that.
So the fact you use a wheel, actully has no effect on the way you play the sim? ....Then why,, Do the Dev's say that it is "better" with a wheel?
maybe because real cars also are operated with wheels.
just a guess.
The force feedback helps simulate what would happen when you're holding the steering wheel in real life but it certainly can't simulate the rush of going at high speeds through corners with your body being pushed to the side of ur seat everytime you make a turn.

Like Scawen said, there's also the fear of crashing and braking material which costs quite a lot of money. (lol @ you doing it when testing the FBM :P)
#10 - JJ72
nono my point is it has no effect on the sim itself.....

how you receive the information is another matter.

If you can't feel what you feel in real life, it's not always the sim's problem, like you can't say LFS is a worse sim when you play it with a keyboard, you just have a worse experience with it.
#11 - Dac
Quote from Scawen :Anyway I guess the biggest difference was the noise, the strength of the force feedback, this feeling of being strapped tightly right in there and hardly able to see over the front, although apparently I was actually too high. Another very important thing is being able to feel the forces and tyre skidding with your own body. I think that can help to find the limit more accurately in reality (at least for me - I have got a feeling I am better in reality than in a sim - I hope so anyway, but maybe I am just kidding myself). Spins can still take you by surprise and one thing of course is in reality you are less willing to spin off.

can you shed some light on how to interpret the FFB better? people say FFB is one of the best things in LFS although ive just gotten a momo and never used it before except for those nascar arcade machines you got in service stations nearly 10 years ago.

i tried to feel for similarities in normal driving but i think with the PS it makes it less obvious to the point where you dont really get any feedback from it.

thanks,
oh, jj i get it lol , i misinterpited that! Sorry
FFB on a DFP900 turned waaay up in the XFG is alot like a non power steering 1990 toyota corolla or even more so in a 1982 toyota supra without ps. It's pretty real to life for me and I started with cars waaaaay before LFS with a 900 degree capable wheel.

The XRT transfering between corners during a small slide can produce that same "spin" of the wheel from lock to lock on LFS as in real life, and that my friend is not something I have found in ANY other sim. Curbing yanks on the wrists to the point that 20+laps of curb slamming can make for some sore joints.
Quote from Dac :can you shed some light on how to interpret the FFB better? people say FFB is one of the best things in LFS although ive just gotten a momo and never used it before except for those nascar arcade machines you got in service stations nearly 10 years ago.

i tried to feel for similarities in normal driving but i think with the PS it makes it less obvious to the point where you dont really get any feedback from it.

thanks,

Well my main point about the force feedback is the strength of the force.

After about 100 laps in the real car, my arms were very tired, and by that point of the day I found it quite hard to get out of the car when I pulled in for a break. It was just so hard to lift my body after all that driving - my arms were kind of numb and felt like jelly. Although I can drive a road car all day long and my arms are fine - it's completely different. And even after just a few laps, coming round the high speed chicane and turning right onto the straight, I was longing for the straight, where I could relax my arms. It was just much harder work than you will get from a normal force feedback wheel.

And that is although my arms are relatively quite strong, although I admit I'm not very fit right now but I've been a biker since age 19, and did some upper body training for a week before using the FBM, still, the forces were very strong.

And the thing about saying a sim is like real life... well the limit is that limit where you can say a film is realistic. OK, a war film can be realistic but it's not going to be just like being in a war. And a picture of mount everest may be nice but I think it's going to look a whole lot bigger if you are actually standing looking at mount everest.
#15 - Dac
Quote from Scawen :Well my main point about the force feedback is the strength of the force.

After about 100 laps in the real car, my arms were very tired, and by that point of the day I found it quite hard to get out of the car when I pulled in for a break. It was just so hard to lift my body after all that driving - my arms were kind of numb and felt like jelly. Although I can drive a road car all day long and my arms are fine - it's completely different. And even after just a few laps, coming round the high speed chicane and turning right onto the straight, I was longing for the straight, where I could relax my arms. It was just much harder work than you will get from a normal force feedback wheel.

And that is although my arms are relatively quite strong, although I admit I'm not very fit right now but I've been a biker since age 19, and did some upper body training for a week before using the FBM, still, the forces were very strong.

And the thing about saying a sim is like real life... well the limit is that limit where you can say a film is realistic. OK, a war film can be realistic but it's not going to be just like being in a war. And a picture of mount everest may be nice but I think it's going to look a whole lot bigger if you are actually standing looking at mount everest.

thanks. maybe thats one of the benefits of a sim is that you dont have to endure such things lol. i know what you mean about the whole body thing though, i remember being in the car with my dad and you were constantly tensed up around the corners to stop yourself moving in the seat. to think it was only a 1.3 Suzuki swift GTI too
About the heat - I did take a photo of my shirt at the end of that day. As you can see there was a lot of salt deposited on it. I guess most people don't sweat this much when they are sim racing!
Attached images
sweat_1.jpg
sweat_2.jpg
Quote :After about 100 laps in the real car, my arms were very tired, and by that point of the day I found it quite hard to get out of the car when I pulled in for a break.

Now you know why I preffer understeer!
Ruin a LFS shirt in this way???? NO, How could you? lol But wow thats alot of sweat!
0.0 Scawen, seriously dude, you have to be faster i can see the salt crystals sleeping in there ...

:shhh:

Keep it up mate

and give me fzr cockpit

btw, fancy shoes \o/
#20 - Dac
Quote from greg_slideways :Ruin a LFS shirt in this way???? NO, How could you? lol But wow thats alot of sweat!

that must be the best way to ruin an LFS shirt there is!
I'm seriously wondering why anyone would take a picture of a sweat shirt....
Quote from Dac :that must be the best way to ruin an LFS shirt there is!

I can think of better.

I'll need some handcuffs
Quote from Dac :that must be the best way to ruin an LFS shirt there is!

Best possible yes, But still ITS LFS SHIRT...NOOOOOO! lol

Quote from Becky Rose :I can think of better.

I'll need some handcuffs

Hmmmmmmmmmm?
LOL Becky! :P

And damn O_O I thought I was sweatin too much behind my seat :S. After about an hour of league racing I sure am sweatin but not THAT much O_O
#25 - Dac
im thinking about getting the polo shirt. however im wondering if its a big anorak'ish?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG