The online racing simulator
LEGO Digital Designer
(102 posts, started )
#1 - wark
LEGO Digital Designer
http://ldd.lego.com/

Fun [free] program to waste hours using.

Build something extravagant and post it here!

Notes: It's pretty much like LFS viewer, but you can right click a [placed] piece to center your pivot point around it. I recommend selecting "hide colors" (in the brick palette) and "repeat inserting selected brick" (in preferences).
Tried this a few months back and built some silly little things.

Would be much more fun with a Technic version.

Still got all my old Lego in the loft somewhere. Absolutely loads of the stuff, sadly won't get used 'til my nephew is old enough to play with it.
Quote from beefyman666 :Absolutely loads of the stuff, sadly won't get used 'til my nephew is old enough to play with it.

How old is your nephew then? Mine is almost three years old and about to become pretty addictive to those kind of stuff (i guess)

cheers for the link though, will try it right away

Edit: no sound without quicktime? burn in hell!! lol j/k...am i missing anything without sound?
I refuse to play this virtual lego rubbish! I still have my old lego sets, and when I am ill and stuck in bed all day, I still enjoy putting together the little models of houses and cars. The most enjoyable part is the feeling and sounds you get from the lego, doing that virtually makes it way to sterile and boring.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I refuse to play this virtual lego rubbish! I still have my old lego sets, and when I am ill and stuck in bed all day, I still enjoy putting together the little models of houses and cars. The most enjoyable part is the feeling and sounds you get from the lego, doing that virtually makes it way to sterile and boring.

Look at it as an extension instead of an replacement. Like for me who aint got that much left of that stuff its good to try some things out without buying entire packages (again) It can become rather expensive after a while and this way i can, just in case im willing to spend the time to think about stuff that is worth building for a decent or reasonable purpose, save a lot of money this way
#6 - wark
Quote from 510N3D :Edit: no sound without quicktime? burn in hell!! lol j/k...am i missing anything without sound?

Oh... I forgot there was sound (I had the same "trouble"). But my friend with sound was very excited once she found a way to turn it off.

Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I refuse to play this virtual lego rubbish! I still have my old lego sets, and when I am ill and stuck in bed all day, I still enjoy putting together the little models of houses and cars. The most enjoyable part is the feeling and sounds you get from the lego, doing that virtually makes it way to sterile and boring.

This was designed so you can see what parts you need to buy to make your masterpiece with real legos. In building guide mode it even shows you how to assemble your work (like a real assembly manual)!
Quote from 510N3D :How old is your nephew then? Mine is almost three years old and about to become pretty addictive to those kind of stuff (i guess)

6 months, quite some time to go yet. The nieces (4 and 2) have loads of big lego (duplo?) could probably have it, but I think theres far too much technic there which is rather small.

All in good time though.
scawen should try to make UFR with this program
and we should make the rest of the cars
#9 - JJ72
Quote from mutt107 :scawen should try to make UFR with this program
and we should make the rest of the cars

you got my interest.

lets make it universally of the same size though, a maximum width of 10 blocks for the biggest car (FZR) should be good to start with.
Spent about 25-30 minutes playing around and ended up with...

I don't really know what it is but meh, it's kept me amused for a little while.
Quote from beefyman666 :Spent about 25-30 minutes playing around and ended up with...

nice lol
#13 - wark
Pretty nice!

Now hit F6 and CTRL-U
Quote from wark :Pretty nice!

Now hit F6 and CTRL-U

Haha! I thought my model was gonna be lost forever then, then it magically built itself. That's some cool shit.

This is making me want to go dig the real lego out.
when i was like 11 i built a lego car that jumped like umm... 7 feet off this ramp i made soo fun then it broke its Axel when it landed
Heh, about 20 years too late for me, but I dreamed of virtual lego when I was a kid.
It's our 2 year wedding anniversary today. Mrs Crashgate got me this:

Hooray for playing with lego when you're nearly 30
Quote from beefyman666 :Spent about 25-30 minutes playing around and ended up with...

that looks, slightly, like a range rover classic

edit: the more i look at it i think its more like the p38a or second generation range rover
#19 - wark
Quote from Electrik Kar :Heh, about 20 years too late for me, but I dreamed of virtual lego when I was a kid.

Nice avatar!

Here's a little $6.71 45 piece formula car I made.
Attached images
car1.jpg
car2.jpg
Attached files
Car.rar - 8.8 KB - 139 views
hmm, I like it, it triggers good memories
Attached images
LDDScreenShot1.png
lol that one looks slightly landie ish, stop making land rovers and make sports cars lol, leave land rover to make land rovers lol
this is my first lego creation with this program so dont rofl your self to death. i dont really know a s*it about helicopters so this may look a bit weird
#23 - JJ72
I spend a hundred pounds on the lego technic enzo, I put it together once, didn't want to break it up to build other things (fear of "hurting" the delicate blocks) and it now sits on near my window collecting dust.
I always broke my models up after making them and built my own thing. I remember I was really ill for about a week, and I set about perfecting a car that I can push full speed into a wall without launching the little lego passenger out of. Basically I built it to have proper crumple zones like those crash dummy cars, and it worked too because the lego man stayed in his seat, even though he was not fixed in place.
I used to make massive lorries using technic to make the steering, suspension etc and use normal lego to build up the sides so they weren't full of holes like normal technic models.

After a few weeks I'd get bored of them and drop them off my bunk-bed

LEGO Digital Designer
(102 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG