The online racing simulator
Taking laptop in for service
(35 posts, started )
Quote from Luke.S : I put a screwdriver into your dvd drive and twisted it.

No you didn't, there is no twisted screwdriver in my CD/DVD/BD/HDDVD drive.
Quote from JO53PHS :No you didn't, there is no twisted screwdriver in my CD/DVD/BD/HDDVD drive.

You have a blu-ray burner in your laptop? LOL!
Its handy if I need to back up my HDD (as you are doing) I can use just 4 BDs instead of about 150 million CDs
Well my PC has a TB of storage available, so I'm backing up onto that
Just use an HVD
Nono, I'm waiting for those protein-covered DVDs to be released, up to 50TB on one disc
Well...

Quote :Practically, capacity would probably be limited by the size that addressing light can be focused to, so a DVD-sized disc might be able to hold ~50 GB, or perhaps ~240 GB if nearfield optics were used.

I shall worry no more!

After a good bit of bollocing around, I found that it was in the devices list, but it was under the wrong heading (under system rather than DVD drives), and it had an error. It was that the driver couldn't start, which is why it wouldn't appear in My Computer.

After spending well over an hour trying to find a new driver, I find a neat little page telling me that Vista uses the same universal driver for all DVD drives. Woopdy-bloody-doo I thought, my Vista is broken But, after another hour of googling (I have a very short attention span and tend to drift off into other things), I found that Vista has a known problem with a registry key that gives error 39, same as mine, with certain DVD drives, and can start any time. So I deleted the key as it said, rebooted, and weh-hey, DVD drive back again!

Now, it even plays the DVDs it couldn't before. No idea why that key is there, it seems to be another one of Vista's "fixes without a problem". Absolutely thrilled right now, never mind having to worry about the warez, but a whole week without internet? :eek:
Quote from dougie-lampkin :I shall worry no more!

After a good bit of bollocing around, I found that it was in the devices list, but it was under the wrong heading (under system rather than DVD drives), and it had an error. It was that the driver couldn't start, which is why it wouldn't appear in My Computer.

After spending well over an hour trying to find a new driver, I find a neat little page telling me that Vista uses the same universal driver for all DVD drives. Woopdy-bloody-doo I thought, my Vista is broken But, after another hour of googling (I have a very short attention span and tend to drift off into other things), I found that Vista has a known problem with a registry key that gives error 39, same as mine, with certain DVD drives, and can start any time. So I deleted the key as it said, rebooted, and weh-hey, DVD drive back again!

Now, it even plays the DVDs it couldn't before. No idea why that key is there, it seems to be another one of Vista's "fixes without a problem". Absolutely thrilled right now, never mind having to worry about the warez, but a whole week without internet? :eek:

Meh could be worse. Anyway i told you it was a vista problem
#35 - CSU1

Taking laptop in for service
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG