The online racing simulator
Braking
(7 posts, started )
#1 - ken9
Braking
For braking on these tracks, regardless of car. Does the trend go you pump the brakes or just hit the brakes in 1 motion and gradually apply more pressure?

I have found that pumping can make me slow down a lot faster, however it is more prone to locking.

And also racing in traffic, i find myself getting rammed from the back or not being able to stop in time and ramming someone else in the back. Now that Ive played a little longer I find myself not ramming someone else's tail as much, but I just feel like my braking is slower than everyone else on the track as I seem to get passed on turns that require heavy braking.
#2 - Dac
driving practice states that you squeeze the pedal on and ease it off. if you pump the pedal then you are causing unecessary weight transfer, and a longer stopping distance.

i know what you mean. im the guy that is too cautios into the first corner and ends up getting rammed by some pillok who cannot stand to be behind somebody who isnt going all out at T1. i find if you use the tightest possible line all the way round the first 3 or 4 corners (almost on the grass) then everybody else seems to avoid you and understeers off to the outside.
#3 - Woz
Apply the brakes smooth and ONLY ease SLIGHTLY if they lock then ease off and then wind in power smooth. Never pump any pedal unless you want to end up in the wall

Never put your foot down further than it can take at any given time. The fastest laps are the ones with least drama. Normally they feel the slowest when you drive them

Also if you have to lift your foot to correct when putting down power it means you have put down power too early. This will also make you slower.
I can't think of any reason when pumping the brakes would make sense.

All inputs, be they with the brake, throttle or steering, should be done as smoothly and progressively as possible. Doing so upsets the car's balance less and so the car handles more predictably, making it possible to go faster.
#5 - bbman
Pumping the brakes has only one use: to still be able to steer (to avoid an obstacle on the road)...
#6 - AMB
Quote from ken9 :For braking on these tracks, regardless of car. Does the trend go you pump the brakes or just hit the brakes in 1 motion and gradually apply more pressure?

I have found that pumping can make me slow down a lot faster, however it is more prone to locking.

And also racing in traffic, i find myself getting rammed from the back or not being able to stop in time and ramming someone else in the back. Now that Ive played a little longer I find myself not ramming someone else's tail as much, but I just feel like my braking is slower than everyone else on the track as I seem to get passed on turns that require heavy braking.

To be honest each car brakes slightly different but the key is to know the track and how late you can brake, as for your problem with locking the wheels, you need to find the threshold, the edge of the point where the wheels are about to lock up, find it and press it to that point each time you brake, also engine braking helps, by changing down the gear quite quickly, as for you hitting people it depends on who the person is, if it's someone slow, you can just pull out and try to outbrake him or if it's someone fast, watch his brakelights and brake as soon as you see them light up and brake on the threshold (don't panic)

Just test some of the stuff out I have told you, learn the car and the tracks, and you should be fine.
Quote from bbman :Pumping the brakes has only one use: to still be able to steer (to avoid an obstacle on the road)...

Slightly off.... Pump brakes to avoid locking them up on what may be a slippery surface to still be able to steer.

I've never pumped the brakes, real or LFS. I apply the needed pressure (or pedal deflection with computer controllers) to slow down or come to a stop.

Antilock brakes pump the brakes. Worst thing they have ever put in a car aside from automatic transmissions.

Braking
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG