The online racing simulator
Almost no FF in low speeds
(9 posts, started )
After several minutes in nKP I returned to LFS and I thought my force feedback is broken I started to investigate whats happened and realized that in low speeds there is almost no FF. Take for example XRR and turn with steering wheel from side to side in 40km/h, neutral. Do the same in 10km/h, 5km/h, 0km/h. IRL resistance from steering wheel is smaller in higher speed, in LFS bigger (I mean rolling, not agressive driving).
Quote from Pablo.CZ :IRL resistance from steering wheel is smaller in higher speed

It depends on the car. Cars with variable effort power steering should feel like it has about equal resistance at any speed, I think. Seems to be the case with my car, at least. I happen to know that in my car, at 10mph or less there is 100% assist, and at 80mph or more there is 0% assist, and then it varies in between.
#3 - MikeB
Quote from Pablo.CZ :After several minutes in nKP I returned to LFS and I thought my force feedback is broken I started to investigate whats happened and realized that in low speeds there is almost no FF. Take for example XRR and turn with steering wheel from side to side in 40km/h, neutral. Do the same in 10km/h, 5km/h, 0km/h. IRL resistance from steering wheel is smaller in higher speed, in LFS bigger (I mean rolling, not agressive driving).

Maybe this is related to the setup. There is a HUGE difference in steering resistance at lowspeed/standstill depending on setup geometry, diff settings, tire pressure etc.
That's probably because (it seems) the resistance due to rubber twisting isn't modeled.
Quote from wheel4hummer :It depends on the car. Cars with variable effort power steering should feel like it has about equal resistance at any speed, I think. Seems to be the case with my car, at least. I happen to know that in my car, at 10mph or less there is 100% assist, and at 80mph or more there is 0% assist, and then it varies in between.

I'm talking about racing cars which don't have variable effort power steering, they don't have often power steering at all. You can feel almost no FF under 5km/h with GTRs, formulas, any LFS car. Even if they had variable effort power steering, there will be (like you said) something like equal resistance at any speed.

Quote from MikeB :Maybe this is related to the setup. There is a HUGE difference in steering resistance at lowspeed/standstill depending on setup geometry, diff settings, tire pressure etc.

I tried it with many setups (hard track, race_s, wr, mine) and there is difference in steering resistance, but it is not what I'm talking about. Decreasing steering resistance with lower speeds and "no" FF under 5km/h is there regardless of setup.

Quote from AndroidXP :That's probably because (it seems) the resistance due to rubber twisting isn't modeled.

But when you braking at standstill, steering resistance is much higher.
Would I be correct in saying that braking while at a standstill should have the same feel as not braking? When you turn the wheel with no brakes at a standstill, the wheel isn't rolling, so having the brakes on shouldn't make a difference I think...
No, with brakes on it should be even harder, though since the beforementioned rubber twisting resistance isn't modeled, the difference in real life isn't as drastic as in LFS.

The reason for this is the scrub radius, meaning when you steer, the wheel doesn't rotate around its center when viewed from above, but instead on an axis slightly offset towards the car, so the wheel basically rolls along a mini circle instead of rotating on the spot. If you apply the brakes, you prohibit this rolling, causing even more resistance.
Hmm, that makes sense...never mind me
Perhaps the FF is exaggerated. It would make sense as FF provides the only way to "feel" the car. I've never actually raced or done anything crazy in a car in real life, but I'm pretty sure you can tell the car is getting lose via other means than just the wheel. Fitting all this feeling into just the wheel must be the cause of exaggeration. Sorry if this doesnt make sense, as I am kinda not thinking clearly

Bryan

(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG