The online racing simulator
6800GS and LFS2 poor fps !
(14 posts, started )
hye,

i just install my XFX 6800GS AGP on my AMD 2400+ 1gO ram + MB Epox (8KHA+) kt266a (agp4x max) and i can't have more than 30-40 fps with drivers NV 82.12 .

i think there is a problem no ?
before i was with a 9700 pro and i think it was best results

i reinstal drivers but nothing best...
Hmm, one thing that I found interesting with LFS was that I had crappy frame rates with something like 1024x768 at 32 bit. What I did was up the resolution in game to 1600x1200 and I got 90+FPS. Unexpected but I'm glad it worked. You might want to increase your resolution or try 16 bit mode with dither enabled.
Since you have changed your hardware config, have you tried to set "HVS" in the graphics options to "on"? Maybe it got turned off for some reason...

Other than that, turn it up to 1600x1200 as the previous poster said - I have a 6600GT (+full AF/AA) and run at these settings without problems. Now, what still IS limiting in your config is your 2400+. Not only seems it a bit underpowered for a 6800GS, but LFS actually doesn't really care about the GFX card. All it needs is raw CPU power.
God, how freaking, I have pretty much identical specs, and used to have a 9700pro.

I also find around the same problem, for some reason. Playable, but not the jump in preformace I was expecting for card which almost cost me £200. I guess it could be bad drivers (I'm using the ones that came on the CD). Or CPU limiting (I currently have mine clocked at 2ghz just for low running temps). Hmm, I'll try a slight OC and see if it helps.
I think it's very clear that your CPU is the weak link. Infact, a 9700pro is way sufficient (for LFS, that is). The only thing a better graphics card does is that it lets you run the game with more bells 'n whistles (read: higher resolution and more AA/FF). LFS doesn't use any fancy shaders or extremely high-poly models/hi-res textures, which is pretty much the only thing you need high end graphics cards for. Almost all load LFS generates is on the CPU for the highly complex physics calculations.
I don't just play LFS

But I have no real eye candy turned on the card (0 AA and AF) yet it is pretty sheddy next to the 9700pro. Which is either this card is shite (as two with the same problem), or it's too good for the chips in question o_O

I'd have expected to get around the same FPS if not total lock at the vsync settings. Seen as though it's just a 7800 cutdown a tad.
Quote from AndroidXP :Since you have changed your hardware config, have you tried to set "HVS" in the graphics options to "on"? Maybe it got turned off for some reason...

Other than that, turn it up to 1600x1200 as the previous poster said - I have a 6600GT (+full AF/AA) and run at these settings without problems. Now, what still IS limiting in your config is your 2400+. Not only seems it a bit underpowered for a 6800GS, but LFS actually doesn't really care about the GFX card. All it needs is raw CPU power.

thx for yout soon reply :

"HVS" in the graphics options to "on"? Yes
turn it up to 1600x1200 : impossible i've no choice in the menu !

my version ;
LFS S2 Alpha 0.5Q

an i try a 3D mark05 just now : 4168 : good or not ?
Attached images
3d mark.jpg
Hi
what was your score in 3dmark with the 9700pro ?

did you remove all the old ATI software with the cat-uninstaller tool and then installed Nvidia drivers? or...

have you performed a clean install of windows?

SD.
Quote from SparkyDave :Hi
what was your score in 3dmark with the 9700pro ?

did you remove all the old ATI software with the cat-uninstaller tool and then installed Nvidia drivers? or...

have you performed a clean install of windows?

SD.

have you performed a clean install of windows? No

you remove all the old ATI software with the cat-uninstaller tool and then installed Nvidia drivers : Yes by uninstall program

cat-uninstaller tool : i don't know what it is ?
Quote from pilou62 :have you performed a clean install of windows? No

you remove all the old ATI software with the cat-uninstaller tool and then installed Nvidia drivers : Yes by uninstall program

cat-uninstaller tool : i don't know what it is ?

I would say that's your problem as a new card from one company different to your old one can cause problems. But I did do a clean install and the same problem. So that can be ruled out really.
Quote from SparkyDave :If you dont reinstall windows you need this to clean out all the old ATI reg entrys .

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894

SD.

Driver Cleaner also does the same job.

But I think it's just the fact LFS is CPU heavy. I've just spent about 60 minutes playing BF2 on high with no problems. But if I play LFS I get low FPS with lots of AI cars.
Since LFS is CPU intensive, check your CPU usage before you enter the game. Hit ALT CNTRL DEL and see what it says. Maybe you need to kill some apps. I would close everything including any crap you may have in the taskbar.
I've also read that turning on "simple track" can actually lower frame rates on some machines. Try turning that option off and see if things improve.

Have you tried running the max and min benchmarks? That will give you precise frame rate numbers that you can directly compare to people with similar hardware.

(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG