The online racing simulator
well done lfs s2
Quote from Clownpaint :When I'm wearing headphones the current sounds in LFS can actually give me a headache and I really don't enjoy listening to them for long periods of time.

That incredibly annoying loud "crashing" sound really brakes my ears with headphones.

I think Scavier should hire a soundman to just record and make all the additional sounds. I also agree that sounds are the most important thing to improve after the physics probs. For the "casual" sim gamers (or ISI fans ) the sounds are also produces a major "this game sucks" effect. And they usually don't even understand the difference between sampled and generated sound engines.

I'm really looking foward in this aspect to netKar Pro because it has two different sound engines to choose from (sampled and generated).
Quote from sleepyhead :can i get an amen!

Amen
Quote from Clownpaint :I don't think I've seen anyone mention this before but we don't actually hear gear changes either, we just hear the engine change revs.

I don't know what's wrong with your car's transmission, but my father's BMW, my brother's VW, and my Kawasaki, all with manual transmissions, hardly make any noise at all when changing gears. In fact my little Kawasaki 250 probably has the loudest of the three, but that's because the transmission is right there, unmuffled by any insulation.

There's only one time when I get a reasonably loud sound when changing gears: in neutral, with the clutch out and the engine running, I pull the clutch in and push the gear lever down for first gear, at which point I get a slight clunk as the engine side of the transmission suddenly comes to a halt. When I'm actually on the road, all I can hear is the engine and the wind.
Quote from Forbin :I don't know what's wrong with your car's transmission, but my father's BMW, my brother's VW, and my Kawasaki, all with manual transmissions, hardly make any noise at all when changing gears. In fact my little Kawasaki 250 probably has the loudest of the three, but that's because the transmission is right there, unmuffled by any insulation.

There's only one time when I get a reasonably loud sound when changing gears: in neutral, with the clutch out and the engine running, I pull the clutch in and push the gear lever down for first gear, at which point I get a slight clunk as the engine side of the transmission suddenly comes to a halt. When I'm actually on the road, all I can hear is the engine and the wind.

Mine makes more of a physical note than a audable note, you can feel it go into gear, when when you release the clutch, you get that moment of change in gforce that you cannot feel in a game, that could be aided by some kind of dramatization of the sound. May it be a clunk, an engine studder (which is more to do with the actual transmission physics since the engine sounds are created via rpm) or what not, that area is a little grey.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I like the idea of a soft but solid clunk when changing gears. It needn't need to be obvious but shouldn't contribute to a feeling of audiotory completeness.
Well, Victor is the sound man in the team and I guess he has enough experience to create better sounds - I just can't understand why we didn't see new sounds or musics from him for such a long time.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG