The online racing simulator
Quote from PAracer :
There really is no runoff issue at Englishtown. It's just unusual to see a car explode at the end of the track like Scott's did. Still, tragic.

I would argue that any drag strip that can't offer a way of retarding a car that is rolling before the finish relatively safely has insufficient run off. Had the car been running on a rough slightly inclined gravel trap type surface it may have rolled violently but the chances are that the guy could have walked away as has often been seen at other drag strips.
The final explosion was when he hit the wall.
R.i.p
[*]
Like WTF, that track was way too short...
that has got to be the most inappropriate technically 100% correct titel for a video
Quote from PAracer :Do we actually know that the car made it all the way to the wall? I don't really wish to see the crash a dozen times, but I think The car never made it to the catch net before the final explosion.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f= ... 0.013819&t=h&z=16

I'm almost positive the car got its front end caught in the gravel pit and started flipping, and that's when it exploded at the end of the track, I don't know that it even hit the catch fence.

Not sure where all those comments about a concrete wall at the end of the track came from, there is a gravel pit, and then a soft catch fence down there. It looks like he actually went over the fence and hit the camera truck back there. I was at qualifying that day and on the big screen shot from the camera behind the gravel pit(which I have not seen shown anywhere else) you could see the car come flying towards the camera, then out of the camera's view. Then the camera shook and went out, probably from the car hitting something down there.
hmm. nothing to say. RIP
#35 - SamH
Video no longer available. Apparently this man's death is copyrighted
thats brutal... i wanted to go on the race but i missed it,last week was there at the d1gp,but i dont recall that wall there,a PLAIN stone wall where car goes 300 mph.. omg..
R.I.P.
i cant see the video... it was removed
search google.
The track is very old, and is shorter than some of the newer tracks. All tracks need to be updated and retrofit.

However, in this case, it was not the track's fault.

The first explosion definitely knocked scott unconcious and he had no control of the car from that point on.

When the body blew off the parachutes were no longer usable, and he was not applying the brake.

Cars traveling 300+ there have stopped with no chutes before hitting the sand. Not to say that its an acceptable layout to have a concrete wall at the end, but there is enough room to stop in an emergency situation.

The car was launched over the sand and wall into the forest. It took them a very long time to find everything. It was a horrible crash, and a very sad thing to see.

Scott was a great man, and a good friend of the family. He will be missed. RIP
Oh my god. Horrible. Rest in Peace!
Quote from FlyeThemoon :Poor guy RIP Scott Kalitta , i know Drag-Racing are veeery dangerours.

And very boring too.
#43 - 5haz

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG