The online racing simulator
best guitarist of all time
(178 posts, started )

Poll : Which one of these do you think is the best guitarist?

Other, (i'm pretty sure I've missed some...)-so post below plz!
Jimi Hendrix (solo artist)
Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
Joe Satriani (solo artist)
kirk Hammett (Metallica)
Herman Li (Dragonforce)
Richie Sambora (Bon Jovi)
I think, every person has a perspective of "good guitar player", its a subjective thing on many aspects. To chose the "best" its needed to determine the criteria of being "best", but this is useless and needless.
Its matter of sense, feeling or let say, music is related the current state of mind. It is also closely related to what you "find" in those specific music, a reflection of our life, our happiness or sadness...i think like that.

Here is my short list;
*Darrell Lance Abbott - a.k.a Dimebag Darrell (R.I.P) (hard to describe him, its been nearly four years that we lost him but still cant see anyone play like him. A great loss...no need to words just listen "This Love", "Cowboys From Hell" and "Cemetary Gates" if you already not...

*Marty Friedman (superb emotional solos i.e: "Trust", "Night")

*John Petrucci (plays like a machine i.e:"Home" in fact any of Dream Theater song)

*Jason Becker (he was played Paganini on guitar before he diagnosed unfortunate illness called Amyotrophic Lateral Sclorosis.
"Altitudes" and "Air" are my favorites, "Higher" is very beautiful but also a sad song imo)

*Steve Vai (its fun and full of surprises, i.e: "Juice" and "For The Love Of God")

*Yngwie Malmsteen (sometimes its bored but he is awesome on baroc style, i.e:any of his songs)

*Joe Satriani (never bored me, my favorite Satriani song is: "The Forgotten (Part Two)" )

*Timo Tolkki (former Stratovarius member, I like his style. i.e:"Black Diamond", "Kiss of Judas")

list goes.....
Quote from wark :I don't understand... Paco wrote half of that tune, and he's been performing solo since 1958 (age 11).

Heard that from himself at an interview

When we was invited to play with DiMeola and McLaughlin they started improvising a couple of times just to warm up and take some ideas out... when they asked Paco about what scale he was using and what mode he used to play at, he didn't know how to say... he was all his life playing guitar, just that... nothing about studying theory... he simply take a guitar and play what his head wants to play

For me is just a pure genious

Listen to this one http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=w8LL1x6J2rU
Quote from RocksGt :Heard that from himself at an interview

When we was invited to play with DiMeola and McLaughlin they started improvising a couple of times just to warm up and take some ideas out... when they asked Paco about what scale he was using and what mode he used to play at, he didn't know how to say... he was all his life playing guitar, just that... nothing about studying theory... he simply take a guitar and play what his head wants to play

For me is just a pure genious

Listen to this one http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=w8LL1x6J2rU

Ah, yes, of course

I've been a Paco fan for many years (simply misunderstood you).

Today's guitarist: Barney Kessel
Quote from halo :*Darrell Lance Abbott - a.k.a Dimebag Darrell (R.I.P) (hard to describe him, its been nearly four years that we lost him but still cant see anyone play like him. A great loss...no need to words just listen "This Love", "Cowboys From Hell" and "Cemetary Gates" if you already not...

One of the best guitar players no doubt...
Just listen to "The Sleep" solo... or "Planet Caravan", so much blues hided in that solo... I really love the feeling he had playing, the way he used the scales, his artificial harmonics...

Damn that fu***ng moron who stole his art
Surely Van halen... He is a farkin legend

EDDY = GOD
Randy Rhoads was great... And could be even better.
Quote from RocksGt :

One of the best guitar players no doubt...
Just listen to "The Sleep" solo... or "Planet Caravan", so much blues hided in that solo... I really love the feeling he had playing, the way he used the scales, his artificial harmonics...

Damn that fu***ng moron who stole his art

Yes brother, as you said...as you may know, that moron was one of the Panthera fan. What an irony...
RIP.

Ps. I watched "Dream Theater - Cemetery Gates (Pantera Cover)" video recently and I am surprised that petrucci cant play the song's solo intro decently and mustaine continued the rest of solo and f**ked up badly, what a mess there was two vocals also.
Slash.
Quote from halo :Yes brother, as you said...as you may know, that moron was one of the Panthera fan. What an irony...
RIP.

Ps. I watched "Dream Theater - Cemetery Gates (Pantera Cover)" video recently and I am surprised that petrucci cant play the song's solo intro decently and mustaine continued the rest of solo and f**ked up badly, what a mess there was two vocals also.

I used to like Petrucci a lot... I studied him a lot and eventually I realized that he is extremely overrated. He (no doubt) has a good technique and he is fast, but with the time it seems like he ran out of ideas and started to repeat again and again the same "tricks" in his solos and riffs
I like John Frusciante from the Chillis, and that boy Slash wasn't half bad too
Quote from HVS5b :I like John Frusciante from the Chillis, and that boy Slash wasn't half bad too

Frusciante was awesome on the early records, a real find, but my god he's dull now. Much like the rest of the Chili Peppers I suppose!

Someone needs to give them a truck full o' drugs.
gotta be clapton for me
Quote from thisnameistaken :Frusciante was awesome on the early records, a real find, but my god he's dull now. Much like the rest of the Chili Peppers I suppose!

Someone needs to give them a truck full o' drugs.

Ooo, thats in bad taste that man

The usual 'no mercy' approach, I see

Still, I know what you mean. The energy in Mothers Milk & BSSM was incredible. None more so than the track 'My Lovely Man' (another Slovak tribute piece) which is Frusciantes career highlight to date, for me anyway.

Then theres been a couple of albums where they've gone all melodic and tuneful. Whilst they don't do a bad job of it, they Chilis are capable of soooooooo much more.

Let me hear ya say - I'm a freak of nature, walking totem pole. Look and see I think you'll agree, theres nobody weird like me
Exactly. Same with Kiedis, he used to be such a unique act, now he wants to be some sort of legit soft-rock singer? How is that a step forward?!

I think they got too rich and too clean. Steal their money, spend it all on drugs and give them the drugs back, that's the only way to end the madness, ironically enough!
John Fruiscante isn't bad, even on 'Smile from the Streets You Hold', there is some good guitar playing, despite the often unintelligable (and tragically hilarious) shouting.
Quote from RocksGt :I used to like Petrucci a lot... I studied him a lot and eventually I realized that he is extremely overrated. He (no doubt) has a good technique and he is fast, but with the time it seems like he ran out of ideas and started to repeat again and again the same "tricks" in his solos and riffs

I agree with you about Petrucci. Maybe he needs some new ideas who knows...
I see that you play e.guitar, any demo songs? (if you recording)
Surely Tommy Emmanuel deserves a mention....?!
if i see the poll results, i think, you maybe missed some. My vote is for Eric Clapton.
Oh yeah, speaking of poll results: I am happy beyond the comprehension of mere mortals that Hendrix is wiping the floor with everybody he's been stacked up against.

Personally, I only had to listen to one bar of Hendrix to decide he was an amazing electric guitar player, and he didn't even really play any notes in that bar.
Quote from halo :I see that you play e.guitar, any demo songs? (if you recording)

Believe me, you don't want to hear me :ices_rofl
Three more genre leaders: Dick Dale (representing surf), Brian Setzer (representing rockabilly), and John Fogerty (representing swamp rock).

best guitarist of all time
(178 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG