The online racing simulator
Do you think GT5 will go hard-core this time?
(45 posts, started )
Do you think GT5 will go hard-core this time?
What do you think of the upcoming Gran Turismo 5, will they go and make the game a true sim this time, with full on tire simulation, tire graining, warming, flat spots, tire bursts, stuff that we have in LFS?

I haven't played that paying demo GT5p so i don't know if they changed anything in the physics from GT4 and how much..
They have the man power, the horse power and money to make a mind blowing hard-core simulation game, do you think they'll do it and most imporatntly, do you think they KNOW how to do it?
I was really disapointed with GT4 and haven't touched it since LFS S2 demo came out, was a fun game, but far off the LFS standard..
I don't know, what do you think..
#2 - ajp71
No.
The physics are very much improved over GT4, and are probably some of the best simulated physics on any console, but it will never be a simulation...

GT5 comes with the promise of damage, which would indicate a more hard-core feel, but we'll just have to wait and see

GT5P isn't a paid demo, it's a stepping stone as so many people moaned about GT5 delays
#4 - JJ72
it's not hardcore, but it's better than GT4. (just a teeny bit)

I doubt they will change much between the final version and the prolouge. personally I never find driving in GT5p an involving experience.
Quote from Thorvertonian :
GT5P isn't a paid demo, it's a stepping stone as so many people moaned about GT5 delays

Well, they could release just one track and one car, never understood the games without a demo... i'm certainly not paying 40 bucks to find out if it's any better than GT4..
Console players are not the kind of person who want a realistic hardcore simulator, so no.
#7 - J@tko
Quote from ajp71 :No.

Agreed.

But I don't care - I still want it

God it looks good.
Quote from NitroNitrous :Console players are not the kind of person who want a realistic hardcore simulator, so no.

That's an obvious fact, i know... i'm talking about their "simulation modes", the one that is suppose to be realistic, do you think they will make it an arcade and in the same time full blown sim on the "sim mode"..
#9 - JJ72
Quote from Boris Lozac :Well, they could release just one track and one car, never understood the games without a demo... i'm certainly not paying 40 bucks to find out if it's any better than GT4..

well, at least in hong kong, they have a PS3 on every single sony booth, you can play it all you want. some stands even have G25 installed.
#10 - JJ72
Quote from Boris Lozac :That's an obvious fact, i know... i'm talking about their "simulation modes", the one that is suppose to be realistic, do you think they will make it an arcade and in the same time full blown sim on the "sim mode"..

simple answer is the full blown simulation mode isn't full blown simulationish enough. tire behavior in slides is horrible.
I don't think the physics will be better than Forza 2, I also doubt the car packs and updates will be as good or as frequent. Forza 2 is definately the best console racing game when it comes to good physics and online racing, but its still not as good as the PC titles.
No, Forza 2 is better
No.
Quote from danowat :No, Forza 2 is better

+1.

Im curious when a Forza 3 is planned. I heard there estimated to be making one for 2009, but you know what gamer sites are like.
There will be no Forza3
Quote from Thorvertonian :There will be no Forza3

Maybe not in "name", but there will be a spiritual successor to the Forza series, T10 are currently producing an unamed project.
Quote from Thorvertonian :GT5 comes with the promise of damage, which would indicate a more hard-core feel, but we'll just have to wait and see

Crash a wall at 200 km/h and bumper comes off. Hardcore.

But at least they'll get over the "NO DAMAGE!!" issue.
No.
Quote from ajp71 :No.

Quote from Forbin :No.

Quote from baSh0r :No.

Why can't people learn to give a reson to back up their statement? It's plain retarded to post in a topic just to say "no / yes". Tho it somewhat answers the question it's kind of silly to write "no", and nothing more.

Now for my answer : No, I do not think the physics will be hard-core. I think they can get some stunning visual damage effects in GT5, but even with good physics upgrade it still isn't enough to move the game over into the simulator category. What it needs is a better "feeling" of the car, my experience is that I feel like driving a stone brick, it just don't feel good and I can't get any good and constructive feedback from the car itself. Other times it just feels like a feather, totally lacking the "feel" of the car.
I am not sure if it's implented or not, but beeing able to roll your car, and having good physics for this aswell would boost the game feeling a lot, it's silly going almost 90 degrees angle on two tyres, and still not beeing able to roll over.
No, Gran Turismo serie is not ment to compete with hardcore sims. They're not aiming for ultra realism but for middle ground between arcade and simulators, altough it's definately most realistic racing game on Playstation. You can't really make games like LFS or GTR work on consoles due to heavy amount of micro management that comes with getting the setups right, console interface and gamepad are not suited for that.

For me, Gran Turismo games have always been one of my favorite racing games. Can't really rate it against LFS because I play sims for challenge and arcade racing games to relax.
As long as they aiming for fun it never will be hc. If they aim for realism, it's for fun, so still no. If they aim for hc realism, nah, they just never would. It just wouldn't sell as much. Even LFS doesn't aim for hc realism, nkpro is probably the best bet for hc. Not very likely for the obvious reasons .
I think the series will gradually improve as it has done so far. But just when you get to the stage where you're starting to get convinced that you're driving something close to reality, you will go back to a good sim for the PC and realise that GT just lacks 'something'. I actually had some fun on GT4 with a DFP, zooming around the 'Ring in road cars, but as soon as you go back to something decent for the PC, you soon realise GT is very plastic and fake feeling. I don't think that feeling will change anytime soon.
Quote from NitroNitrous :Console players are not the kind of person who want a realistic hardcore simulator, so no.

Not really, most just don't have the hardware for PC simulations and some of them think it's better than anything else.
Quote from h3adbang3r :and some of them think it's better than anything else.

Well actualy, many of them think it's better than anything else. They justify the poor physics in GT4 as lack of power in the PS2. Now they're saying that GT5p is huge step up from 4. Now, i don't really believe that's the case, seen some videos, still that awefull tire squeel from GT4, still that "we got the basics right" feeling, like, FWD understeers, RWD oversteers, there's no snapiness from the cars, it still looks dumbed down for me..
Now, i don't know what to expect from GT5, there's still almost a year till it's release. I know that guys from Polyphony and Yamauchi himself are huge car freaks and that the game is gona be great for 90 % of the people, but me and people who play LFS simply don't belong in those 90 %...
I can't shake the facts, the game is on a console, where 99 % uses default gamepad, the fact that you have those physics options, it's like a freaking FPS, "easy, normal, hard, simulation" you know what i mean.. I can't imagine having awesome battles with "casual" car game lovers..
I have GT5p, and Forza 2, GT5p is OK, it's no simulation, it looks glorious, and the cockpits are amazing, but for physics it still feels very floaty, with little or no suspension movement and the tyres feel solid.

Forza 2 does a much better job of representing weight transfer and traction, and as such "feels" more realistic.

I wouldn't imagine the physics for GT5 will be much, if any, different from GT5p.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG