The online racing simulator
Increasing monitor size, do I have to get a better graphics card too?
Hi, I am getting fed up on playing on this some what small, square screen and am thinking of up sizing to a bigger screen.

What I have now:

Dell 19" Monitor.
Intel Integrated Media Accelerator 950 GFX card.

I am thinking of upgrading to around a 28" monitor.

My question is,
Do I have to upgrade my graphics card to upsize my monitor?

Thanks for your help,
Kenneth
If you're going to a considerably higher resolution, and you've got a marginal graphics card, then yes, probably.

Look at the benchmarks for your card though. Some achieve pretty similar performance across a wide range of resolutions.

Edit: Ah. Just saw you're on integrated graphics. Get with the times, dude - that's not a gaming computer!
Can you update an integrated card with a non integrated card? Sorry I do not know anything about hardware
Quote from racer hero :Can you update an integrated card with a non integrated card? Sorry I do not know anything about hardware

Yeah you can buy another graphics card and add it. Your intergrated card will no longer be in use while you have your graphics card in.
Quote from racer hero :Can you update an integrated card with a non integrated card? Sorry I do not know anything about hardware

generally yes
although it largely depends on whether your motherboard provides a slot for a normal card and if your psu can take it (unlikely on a oem pc with integrated graphics)
#8 - Jakg
500 Watt is mega overkill - a 300 Watt will work fine.

28" monitors would be a TV, which has a low resolution so it won't actually have that bigger effect on your FPS.
Quote from scoobyrbac :That there should work..

As Shotglass said..Make sure your mb can support the type of card it is and you will also need a new PSU...I would suggest a 500watt psu should do the job.

500W PSU for a rediculously overpriced AGP card? Are you joking? I use a 550W power supply for my CPU (overclocked) and 8800GT and my PSU can supply well over what i'm using.
If your looking for a good budget card, then something like a 7600GS would be a good move. I have one on my other machine, and its never took a foot wrong, and can handle plenty of AA/AF.
Quote from Jakg :500 Watt is mega overkill - a 300 Watt will work fine.

28" monitors would be a TV, which has a low resolution so it won't actually have that bigger effect on your FPS.

Not quite, JAkg, not quite. Some "300W" arent really 300W - thats just the power of all the lines added. Then somehow it cant keep up with most stuff.
Case in point: I made a computer for my 6 y old, so he could play and not pester me. Hes got a 300W PSU, powering an old CD-RW drive, PIV 28GHZ, a mobo with a soundcard and onboard lan, AND... a ATI Radeon 9800 PRO.
Should be enough to play TF2 (he loves that) LFS,.. any decent game really -at 1024*768.
But it doesnt. Every now and then it just restarts - my guess is the GFX card is killing the PSU.

Either go for an expensive 300W psu, or for a cheaper 500w one. Its kinda like the speaker wattage idiocy... Remember the mega-super-duper 800W speakers that just suck? and the awesome 15w ones that are just brilliant?
double post? ergh I hate net problems...
Nice. But I should rather get a 22 " TFT and a decent graphics card, 8800 GT, than getting a 24 " 1920x1200 display which resolution I cannot use fully.

A friend bought a dell notebook with a nice 1920x1200 display, coreduo but a 8600M graphics card and is happy now to play COD4 in 1024x768 low settings.

Nice way to throw your money away...
there absolutely no way your card will do 1920 at any kind of bearable framerate
But since he's content with spending $600 on a monitor, I doubt a gfx card that can handle the resolution would be outside of his budget.
true but for 1920 youre probably looking at more than just a monitor and a car... with that card i highly doubt his cpu is any good and either way to play modern games in 1920 youll have to pay for some serious hardware
1024*768 FTW

Although I don't see what's wrong with a 19". Considering that most ready-made PCs you buy come with a 15-17", 19" ain't bad. I use my 19" TV as my monitor, works a charm Only problem is it won't do high resolutions
Quote from NikLaw :Nice. But I should rather get a 22 " TFT and a decent graphics card, 8800 GT, than getting a 24 " 1920x1200 display which resolution I cannot use fully.

Problem going from 19" 4:3 screen to 22" 16:9 is that what you gain in width, you lose in height. Keeping in mind that all documents and webpages are browsed in horizontal fashion, it makes very little sense to pay for that extra width that is mostly wanted for displaying movies.
Quote from Crommi :Problem going from 19" 4:3 screen to 22" 16:9 is that what you gain in width, you lose in height. Keeping in mind that all documents and webpages are browsed in horizontal fashion, it makes very little sense to pay for that extra width that is mostly wanted for displaying movies.

But you can have multiple windows open, which can be very useful (that said 16:10 still isn't wide enough for that really, unless you have a large resolution).

I think also wouldn't a 22" widescreen be about as high as a 19" 4:3 screen?
#21 - Jakg
22" Widescreen - 1680*1050.

19" 4:3 - 1280*1024.

You gain 26 pixels in height...
Alright, I am going to buy a Nvidia 8800 GTS 640. Now I need to decide what monitor I would like. I was thinking a Acer 25.5". But I think there is better stuff out there. What do you guys think? Does the picture get distorted the bigger you go?
#23 - Jakg
What's the rest of your PC specs? What's your PSU? How much is that card costing?
The Nividia 8800 GTS is $250-350 here. Depends where I buy it, and if they have it on sale or not. Sorry, but what is the PSU and where can I find this?

I am going to Future Shop soon and they are going to check my computer to make sure its ok. Then, if all is ok, install the card.
#25 - Jakg
The 8800GTS 640 MB is old and is NOT worth $250. You can get an 8800GT for around about $200 here, so you should be able to get one cheaper there.

What are the rest of the specs of your PC?

Increasing monitor size, do I have to get a better graphics card too?
(41 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG