The online racing simulator
problem getting new patch
(9 posts, started )
im trying to upgrade to patch Y on my new laptop, and i cant do it. i'm not a beginner to lfs im posting here because i thought that any other beginners on Vista may get this problem too.

When i download i select a mirror, then it goes 0 to 100% twice, then displays:

DOWNLOAD: could not save file

Which is irritating me alot since i cant play online on my laptop...

any solutions? ive looked around on the forums a little but really want to get online

i copied my lfs folder from my pc when i first got the laptop, now im downloading it direct from the lfs site and will install from there to see if this version is patch Y
Vista :rolleyes:

What you need to do is properly set up the user rights of the LFS folder, so that the LFS process can write/modify existing files.
ba?

im sorry im new to vista my pc runs xp media ed.

do you mean the UAC stuff? shall i turn that off?
Attached images
lfs problem.jpg
Right click on lfs.exe and choose "run as administrator".
ah i've fixed it now thanks guys

finally i can get online and start racing you all again, but this time from my laptop

and i have a racing line
I think so. I don't have Vista myself, but the 30 minutes I could try it have shown me that the default security configuration is beyond ridiculous. However I'm not sure if turning off UAC will only remove the nag-screens or actually give you appropriate user rights

E: far too slow
#7 - Jakg
I have no idea what you guys are doing but my first ever reboot of Vista was done to turn off Vista's UAC and i've had no security issues since.

NEVER needed to use "Run as Admin" and only ever got one UAC popup - every re-install since has had UAC disabled on the ISO itself thanks to vLite.

Trust me - you want UAC left off unless you want your PC to scare / annoy you into submission.
im leaving it on, since it only pops up when i try to install something, or open a downloaded file over 1GB.

I think it's quite a good idea of microsofts, since if the popup ever came up when i didnt do anything to 'provoke' it then i would know that someone was trying to control my pc via the Internet. (happened to my mate after about 6 hours of leaving an old PC on with no security software connected to internet (as a test) )

That was off topic to this post, but dont worry anyone else as i've fixed my problem
#9 - Jakg
UAC is nothing more than a scare tactic - as i've seen so many times people download stuff, then try to install it - UAC goes "ARE YOU SURE!!??!?!?!?! YOU MIGHT BREAK IT!!!1!!!!" and they go "oo-er" and click "no".

Beats users trying to use the OS they paid for!

Stops shit like "SmileyCentral" though thank god.

(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG