The online racing simulator
3D Sound
(13 posts, started )
3D Sound
Is there any way to turn on 3D sound (5.1? 7.1?) in LFS? Or is it not implemented at all? I am running Windows Vista with an ASUS Xonar sound card, which supports 3D sound using OpenAL and DirectSound3D which it emulates in Vista using special drivers.
No surround sound in this sim unfortunately

Lets hope they get round to implementing it at some point.
Maybe on S3 we could enjoy it. But the only thing we can do actually is wait for any information about this
I don't need surround sound. I would like 3D sound though, since I use noise-canceling headphones and that would be nice lol
#5 - Jakg
ATM it's 2 channels only, which is a bit of a shame.

You do know you'd need 5.1 or 7.1 speakers to experiece it, irrespective of your sound card, right?
Yeah I mixed up some terms there. Obviously LFS has 3D sound otherwise the sounds wouldn't fall off as things get farther away. And yes I have an 8 speaker setup, and yes I have it working for other games.
I have 5.1 speakers, but I only have 3 of them
#8 - Jakg
Then you don't have 5.1 sound?

Sorry to treat you like an idiot, but i've seen people make much much more n00by mistakes!

(Like the guy who spent hours trying to get his high-spec PC working before he realised he had no video card...)
I have 5.1 sound (Technically. It's still coming through the amp. I'm just receiving 60% of it :razz, but I only have 3 speakers connected. The other 2 are in the attic, I think...The mother didn't think 5 speakers were necessary for some reason, and put them away when I was gone to school...Damn technologically incompetent parents

Surely you don't need a video card to run a PC? Wouldn't most motherboards come with some sort of on-board feed? (I've never actually looked inside a PC without a proper video card :shy
Some don't. My current motherboard in my PC that sits there doesn't have an onboard GFX card, whereas the motherboard I swapped out from it did have one.
I made a little program once that placed environmental 3D sounds around the race track and it really added a lot, although it could not do engine sounds (on account of not being able to detect remote car rpm's). There's a video of a mid-development version here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=z5peFcgw2UI

That software no longer works (old version of insim) but I am toying with the idea of including a similar system with a new camera control system i'm planning.
#12 - Jakg
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Surely you don't need a video card to run a PC? Wouldn't most motherboards come with some sort of on-board feed? (I've never actually looked inside a PC without a proper video card :shy

Most cheap mobo's come with them (as a cheap mobo goes in a cheap PC where you may not have a GFX card), whereas most expensive mobo's dont have an onboard graphics card, as you'd probably add your own expensive one.

My mobo doesn't have one.
That's OK then, neither does mine

3D Sound
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG