The online racing simulator
Round 4: Post-race Discussion
This should be fun.

I'm gonna go sleep it off. :P
#2 - Gil07
Great race all, we're very happy with our 6th place finish...

Though I believe without that restart incident we could have done better

Thanks for organizing this once again!
Yeah good race everybody.

TDRT 04 - 2nd after being 25th lap 6
Until i see the replay i don't know what to say about this race.

It was all over in the first 20 mins for us.

Twice in the early laps i was involved in collisions, both believed to be caused by lag, so i cant really complain too much, though we were damaged seriously enough to have to pit. Luckily the SC came out so we got away with that without loosing a load of time.

Lap 8 i got hit from behind in T1, spinning me and heating my tires right up (an incident i wasn't at all happy about, to say the least, and afaik no punishment was given to the guy who hit me:shrug, then i had a bit of a wobble in T3 and car #22 hit me as well, screwing the car up completely. It was barely drivable and i spun twice trying to get back to the pits again.

Two pitstops in the first 8 laps and it's effectively race over. We continued anyway, but it was the most disappointing race of the season by a long way.

Grats to the Podium finishers
Just wanted to apologize to the 06 team for the incident on lap 8 I think it was, I was right behind you in turn 1 then the server lagged or something, because next thing I knew my car was stopped facing the wrong direction, sorry you guys got taken out by that too. Our other team said they noticed the server skip too so I think it was a lag problem.
Quote from UncleBenny :Just wanted to apologize to the 06 team for the incident on lap 8 I think it was, I was right behind you in turn 1 then the server lagged or something, because next thing I knew my car was stopped facing the wrong direction, sorry you guys got taken out by that too. Our other team said they noticed the server skip too so I think it was a lag problem.

Ahh, ok. I didn't realise that was lag as well. No problem then
Thanks for the explanation.

So was the server just crap tonight or what. No one complained about me lagging so I'm assuming it was the server. It seemed horrible in the opening laps.
It's not good when your scared to get close to anyone for fear of being punted off like you were hit by a train, due to lag.
TDRT TheDanishRacingTeam.

Good race for TDRT´s FXR´s.

Car no#4 had two very good drivers and what at the very beginning looked like a disaster was turned into another great podium finish.
Well done guys. Proud of you.

Car no#29 unfort. was taken out at a SC restart. Then another accident with a blue flagged driver and for the last hour engine damage couldn´t make it a toprunner this round. Finishing 9th is still a good result.

See you all next round.

@ Looking at " The Moose " right on top of my post I wanna thank his green FZR and there was another one ( need to see the replay again ) for letting me pass so easily. Not just once but a lot of times starting our lap 88. Thanks a lot.
Congratulations to CoRe, as usual very good race and fantastic time.

Very exciting race for us, we were between 8th and 25th place, and finally finished race on acceptable 12th place (first time without big problems). Kind of sad becouse lost 11th place in last sector of race, but thats all racing

See you on Westhill
Very happy to grab 11th place in the last sector of the race

Kringle seemed nicely placed when I checked after doing the OWRL F1 race but we suffered a disco and I think that's where we lost our lap. I came on for my double stint in about 20th place and just set about overtaking everything I could find as we were out of place according to the server due to the disco. The only time I was overtaken in those 2 hours was when my monitor turned itself off as I hadn't pressed any keys so it went to power saving.

The disco was a real shame - overall I think we could have challenged the top 6 with our pace but it was still great fun just blasting round catching and passing anything that moved.

Thanks to the admins! Looking forward to the next race.
Replays men replays!
I just wanted to say it was great fun for me, besides from all problems we had. This track has good sections for fun races.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :Very happy to grab 11th place in the last sector of the race

I don't have good tires to resist to you or your driver.

Great time N.Scott and grats too podium!

CYA next race!
First I have to say sorry for UKTC team for our move to the racing line after spin in 'uphill chicane'. That spin was involved by try of overtake us by other car in dangerous uphill chicane, what is very stupid idea overtaking there. After penalty and driver change we manage do everything to take some position form the rear of field. There was SC phase so we take this advantage and 5-6 teams we overtake. In couple of last laps I defended our position against #24 Speed Core Caring Team but they was to quick for us and they overtake us in last lap. It was our standard performance, stable race times, little bit slower but stable. See u next time!
Our breaking point was second SC phase, after which we unfortunately slightly damaged our engine in that doubtful incident. So after great start, this broke all our plans and we just tried to finish the race as fast as we could (so not that fast). Anyway, I have to say thanks too all drivers, who were lapped by me, because I don't have any problem with those for whole race.

PS: Hoping for better next race, even that I don't like Westhill at all...
Ben: I'd still like some clarification regarding that restart incident.

In racing, being able to time the start at the right time to not overtake anyone before the green flag but still have a run at them, is a perfectly valid and good way imo. In this case it wasn't on purpose, but I still don't agree with the penalty we were given.

In my view what Jason did was a perfectly good move, and it was also legal according to what's written in the rules, as no overtaking move was started (we weren't even close to any other car) before the green flag.

It would be better to know where we stand before the next races.

Edit: And after watching the replay I can add that we definitely weren't the only team to do this, many of the others did as well. The car in front of us (#11 iirc) was on FT as well, so we followed him, but he had to brake, otherwise he would have passed before green. Then green came and we simply continued racing, avoiding the #11 that was going much slower. I still think this was an unfair penalty.
This was probably our best race of the season, but unfortunatley it came on the easiest track so far so we still didn't end up with a great position! I qualified the car 17th with a half decent laptime, could have done better but probably not moved far up the grid. I was disapointed to see none of you guys knew how to run a formation lap. Wait for the driver infront of you to move before moving off the startline!
Anyway, the start went badly because of course everyone except me decided to anticipate the lights and I came off worse in the stack-up, but its a 4 hour race so I wasn't sweating it. Got back passed Peregrinus and retook my place on lap 1 anyway. Managed to get as high as 10th before I made an idiot mistake in the first chicane and wrecked my car at about the 20 minute mark, way too early for that kind of incident. That dropped us back and it was all I could do to stay in touch with the leaders and try to gain my lap back at a yellow flag. When the second yellow finally came out I was right behind the leader, but he pitted so I got the wave-by. Phew! I got to start over again....
I ended up climbing as high as 7th at one point which was great for us, but I got some engine damage from over-revving in the 2nd hour (my inexperience again) and that put pay to a top 10 for us. I handed off to Joe in about 12th place at the 3 hour mark, and he drove a consistent last hour, but the engine damage dropped us through the midfield pack and we ended up 17th. We'll get that top 10 next time I guess!

A couple of notes. Some guys were too aggressive for my liking at the start, particularly the #14. You didn't technically do anything wrong, but going 3 wide at the last second on the brakes into the hairpin? I chose to give you room when I really shouldn't have because that was a dumb move by you, and I ended up spinning Pereginus out instead. Nice. You then spun out at the chicane, and instead of jamming on the brakes and making yourself an easy to avoid stationary target, you decided to try and turn yourself around immediatley and rolled straight into my path. Thanks for that.
And you guys still don't seem to have learned how to take a restart. If you wait for the green light like you are supposed to you wont have the huge stack-up and you wont have so many crashes. I hung back and waited for the green flag before going on my restarts and I gained about 5 spots every time. Try it, its fun

Cya next time!
-
(MxN) DELETED by MxN
-
(Nes) DELETED by Nes
Quote from Gil07 :Ben: I'd still like some clarification regarding that restart incident.

In racing, being able to time the start at the right time to not overtake anyone before the green flag but still have a run at them, is a perfectly valid and good way imo. In this case it wasn't on purpose, but I still don't agree with the penalty we were given.

In my view what Jason did was a perfectly good move, and it was also legal according to what's written in the rules, as no overtaking move was started (we weren't even close to any other car) before the green flag.

It would be better to know where we stand before the next races.

Edit: And after watching the replay I can add that we definitely weren't the only team to do this, many of the others did as well. The car in front of us (#11 iirc) was on FT as well, so we followed him, but he had to brake, otherwise he would have passed before green. Then green came and we simply continued racing, avoiding the #11 that was going much slower. I still think this was an unfair penalty.

I'll be looking at the replay more thoroughly once I get home. My feeling is this...

If the guys in front are stacked up doing the same speed as the leader, waiting for the green flag, while the guys in the back are on the throttle and going 20kph quicker--there's some kind of injustice going on. However, as you say, this does happen in real life motorsport.

I'll examine the replay more closely and think about it some more when I have the time.
I've uploaded a mprEdited replay of the incident, for easier viewing. Only now I've seen the crash that happened afterwards, it seems like all cars behind us and car #11 right in front of us, are at the same speed at that point, and not only us. #11 even managed to hit the car in front of him...

The green flag moment isn't shown in the replay, but it was just when J.Lovett got back on the throttle after braking when he got upto #11.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zxclfvp4noq

Edit: If you look at car #01, you can see the green flag moment, so you can pause the game there and see #05 is actually going 5mph slower than the car in front...
Hey all,

Hope my post is not in the wrong place. I just wached the replay of round 4 and must say really well done to both the participants and the organizers. It was my first time watching IGTC and I really enjoyed it. Almost as good as watching real races on the telly!

And TRDT 04 - that was a fantastic comeback!
Hey, glad you liked it.

I wish the replays captured the SC/green flag announcements, etc, but perhaps one day we'll get a professional broadcasting thing together.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Hey, glad you liked it.

I wish the replays captured the SC/green flag announcements, etc, but perhaps one day we'll get a professional broadcasting thing together.

Well, the replay did have safety car announcements (as in "safety car out" or something like that) and the messages said when it's coming in.

It wasn't very clear what happened to the Alias Racing/F. Sonne car after it stopped out on track (did he just Shift+S?), and the RB4 push car losing it on track was funny

It would be totally awesome if the view could automatically shift to the current closest battle on track, maybe by monitoring the gaps or something. But that's just wishful thinking, and as I said, it's really good as is. Keep it up guys!
Quote from Speedy Pro :It wasn't very clear what happened to the Alias Racing/F. Sonne car after it stopped out on track (did he just Shift+S?), and the RB4 push car losing it on track was funny

He'd gotten a drive-through penalty for a teammate chatting on his pitstop in-lap. Unfortunately, in LFS you can't pit if you have an outstanding penalty to serve, and he had cut it very close on fuel--so he ran out while going around again after serving the penalty. The SC was sent out so the push car could bring him in, but he quit in frustration before the PC could get there. This was discussed at some length in the race report thread if you'd like to read up on it there.

Quote :It would be totally awesome if the view could automatically shift to the current closest battle on track, maybe by monitoring the gaps or something. But that's just wishful thinking, and as I said, it's really good as is. Keep it up guys!

There's actually a program called LFS TVDirector that does just that, and it works spectacularly well. I believe it's on the first page of the Add-Ons forum right now.
Thanks, DeadWolfBones! Bummer about Franke's incident, but that's racing, I guess.
The TVDirector apps works really well. I'm hooked now
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG