The online racing simulator
#1 - Jakg
Network Halp Needed - Setting Up A Server (I Think!) For My XBMC...
Now that i've got my XBMC hooked up to the network, i've already managed to fill up the 8 GB HDD full of crap - being skint atm I can't afford a new PC, and it would be much easier to stream content rather than FTP files over.

It's all linked up to a switch on a HomePlug Netgear thingy, so it should be ok bandwidth wise (i've got 10 MB/s sending files direct to the HDD onboard it).

It can stream files over the network using the following protocols:
Windows Network (SMB),
XBMSP Server,
FTP Server,
UPnP Server,
TuxBox Client.

"Tux" sounds like Linux, FTP doesn't sound ideal, no idea about "UPnP", SMB or "XBMSP" though.

I'm running Vista x64 Home Premium - all it needs to do is be able to share 3 folders, and for the Xbox to connect to them over the network.

HALP!

Jakg.
#3 - Jakg
#4 - Jakg
Little update - using the guide I posted it works. Epic. In every way.

Streaming stuff like "Climb Dance" and LFS Vids from my PC to my TV, using my cheap-o used £3 Xbox remote = WIN.

If only my PC was quiet enough to be left on 24/7 - stupid HDD's...

If only I could find someone to buy it for a good price and build a cheap £500 quiet rig
Jakg, is it the fan or the HDD making the noise? If it IS the HDD then you can use a tool to quieten it down. I used this tool but cannot find it again . I think it was Toshiba something. BTW it works with all computer manafacturers not just Toshiba.
#6 - Jakg
The HDD's are quiet, my case just ampliefies the noise a lot - I could fix it but I CBA to take my whole PC apart.
Is it any good for you? It worked perfect for me!
Just make the files or folders shared in Windows. Literally works perfectly in XP. Vista on the other hand couldn't be more confusing when it comes to sharing files.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG