The online racing simulator
SHIFT+U Mode: Rewind!
(6 posts, started )
#1 - LawVS
Hopefully for a newer patch, we can see the ability to rewind replays as well as fast forwarding them and pausing them. At the moment, I have to quit out of the replay if I missed something and have to find the point I left from all over again. It'd save a lot of time for movie makers I think.
Quote from LawVS :It'd save a lot of time for movie makers I think.

Deem right
This was discussed on RSC, I think Scawen himself commented.

If memory serves, this is as yet impossible because replays actually replay the race, keeping track of physics and recorded inputs, and the physics calculations aren't exactly reversible...

There was talk of saving the state of the car every x seconds, so you can rewind in blocks, but I don't know if this is planned for S2.
...reverse the physics?

..er.. lol then cars would fly up in the sky if everything is reversed

reverse the inputs; thats all... the whole replay will just have to be in memory so its all there and you can go forward and back
No, I'll try to explain a bit better

The physics variables of the car are constantly changed according to inputs and physics in a replay, just as in real-time racing. You can't just rewind the inputs, you also need to rewind the state of the car, which is impossible at the moment. A solution for this is to save the state of the car every, say, 5 seconds, so you can rewind to/start at those points.

As I said, I believe Scawen is working on this.

Edit: If you don't believe me, believe the allmighty Scawen: http://forum.rscnet.org/showpo ... p=1583798&postcount=7
Quote from bobvanvliet :There was talk of saving the state of the car every x seconds, so you can rewind in blocks, but I don't know if this is planned for S2.

Yep. Very similar to the key frame principle of MPEG4.

(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG