The online racing simulator
Purpose of Gold license
I'm on my way to getting my gold license and was thinking what new things I could do when I get it. However reviewing the servers and license requirements, it seems that getting Gold doesn't open any more features or racing in CTRA. Am I missing something? Or is Gold just another milestone and Platinum being the next license which would then allow me to race GT cars on Race 3?
Yep. Gold is worthless.

It would be an improvement if Gold unlocked the LRF. But when I last suggested it the idea was shot down.
#3 - Dru
before your time in LFS the gold license used to open up the full range of TBO cars if memory serves me right.

Nowadays it is redundant from best I can think (but it is early still )
#4 - Bean0
Gold used to get you the XRT, and access to it's huge points multiplier IIRC.
#5 - Dru
Quote from Bean0 :Gold used to get you the XRT, and access to it's huge points multiplier IIRC.

i remember they changed it to the FXO as everyone was getting this car on Race 2 and beating each other hands down (altohugh it did not get the multiplier that the XRT and RB4 got) but since all that is now gone (TBO class balancing etc) there are no longer multipliers working on CTRA points system.
As I recall, yeah, the last thing the Gold licence did was TBOs. What exactly I'm not sure, in the old old days I seem to remember any TBO required a Gold licence, and then it was for the FXO before class balancing, and then with the emergence of Race 3 it seemed to evaporate completely.. Although, as March Hare says, it seems logical to make it the requirement for the LRF cars - if only so that it has some purpose.

I reach Gold yesterday - finally - and, although I'd probably still drive GT2s most of the time, it'd be nice if it actually afforded me some new access and, I don't think the server population cost of limiting LRFs to Gold+ would be too noticeable, would it?

Sam
#7 - HVS5b
Quote from March Hare :Yep. Gold is worthless.

It would be an improvement if Gold unlocked the LRF. But when I last suggested it the idea was shot down.

+1 from me
It gives you a mini version of the userbar that reminds me of Cadbury's Cream Eggs.
Well as you can read down below what the real urpose of a gold license was. I didnt and still didnt car about the career move within CTRA and unlocking another car. I found it rather impresive to get to a gold license. Its the achievement that counts not the reward I think.
Quote from Becky Rose :It gives you a mini version of the userbar that reminds me of Cadbury's Cream Eggs.

Bloody horrid things.

For the lovers out there, they now do a Creme Egg Bar filled with the sickly gunk.
Quote from Bean0 :Bloody horrid things.

For the lovers out there, they now do a Creme Egg Bar filled with the sickly gunk.

I was going to say something dirty here but there are kids around
#12 - SamH
When we launched the X-System, we set Gold to unlock the LRF. Then we made the mistake of listening to the minority forumers who said they'd race the LRF with their silver licences, if it were available, but that they refused to work their way through the TBO class to get to it. They didn't, of course, and still don't. These days they just whine about the lowest tier instead.

I'd be quite happy to re-lock the LRF and make it Gold+ again. I'm not really interested in hearing from the collective that demanded it were opened for Silver though. Been there, done that.
Sounds like a plan, Sam

Would be good to give Gold licence earners a 'prize' and keep it in line with the other licences. After all, they all offer an increased scope of cars available upon achievement.

Plus Silver drivers in LRF cars get far too many points
Quote from niels1 :Well, you can read down below the real purpose for a gold license. I didn't and still don't care about the career move within CTRA and unlocking another car. I found it rather impressive to get to a gold license. It is the achievement that counts not the reward. I think.

I'm not obsessed by the license progress, but it exists for a reason and when you get another stage in the license process, some little reward is nice. Also I have actually improved a HUGE amount going from Silver to (nearly) Gold. So I would argue that maybe the GT2 cars are not worthy until Gold status? I'm sure that would upset a huge amount of people though, actually, me included

p.s. I also corrected your grammar and spelling mistakes...

Quote from SamH :I'd be quite happy to re-lock the LRF and make it Gold+ again. I'm not really interested in hearing from the collective that demanded it were opened for Silver though. Been there, done that.

+1 from me
Quote from Dru :before your time in LFS

You mean before my time in CTRA, i've been racing LFS since March 2003
Quote from Dru :i remember they changed it to the FXO as everyone was getting this car on Race 2 and beating each other hands down (altohugh it did not get the multiplier that the XRT and RB4 got) but since all that is now gone (TBO class balancing etc) there are no longer multipliers working on CTRA points system.

How does that balancing work? Can you find handicaps that car's have on the CTRA website?
#17 - SamH
Quote from marzman :Thanks. But there is no TBO class there

That's because they have no handicaps, duh :dunce:
Quote :
I'm not obsessed by the license progress, but it exists for a reason and when you get another stage in the license process, some little reward is nice. Also I have actually improved a HUGE amount going from Silver to (nearly) Gold. So I would argue that maybe the GT2 cars are not worthy until Gold status? I'm sure that would upset a huge amount of people though, actually, me included

p.s. I also corrected your grammar and spelling mistakes...

When you speak and write a second language as well as Niels does, then you can start to correct his punctuation.
If you want to correct someones correct mine, it's horrible.
Quote from marzman :How does that balancing work? Can you find handicaps that car's have on the CTRA website?

The cars were made more even in LFS Patch X (I think).
#22 - SamH
Quote from Bean0 :The cars were made more even in LFS Patch X (I think).

Correctamundo
Quote from Toddshooter :When you speak and write a second language as well as Niels does, then you can start to correct his punctuation.

Hey no problem m8, I noticed it myself earlier this night. I wrote that down kinda rushed TBH. I didnt relooked at grammar or spelling. It is mine mistake not his. Anyway he did get what I was on about so the message came across I guess.

The one thing I have learned from progressing in license is the skill in driving. Not the price, award or whatever you call it. And in the end I did pay the price big time. I lost all interest in LFS bcus it was getting to serious.

I was kinda a point whore myself and wanted to score as much as I could. Why, I wanted to progress to another license. Well stuff that. It isnt about getting points, its all about having fun with teammates and other teams or drivers.

Fairplay and having fun is the true meaning on driving on CTRA. I remember the days on CTRA 3, full server doing our laps night in night out. We did do stints of 4 to 6 hours a night without ever thinking of points. We did drove there with a lot of teams and purely having fun. Those were the days.

So forget you award for getting a higher license just focus on having fun m8. Thats it. Nothing more nothing less.
Quote from Toddshooter :When you speak and write a second language as well as Niels does, then you can start to correct his punctuation.

He dont speek canadiaan mate (spelling wrong on purpose!)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG