The online racing simulator
Not so accurate finish line clocking?
(19 posts, started )
Guy tried to pass on finish, end result was a tie (as time shows), but he got 3rd place and I got 4. See for yourself. Fun race anyways I'm guessing it has something to do with conn./ping/estimating on packet loss or something.. Explain please?

Maybe you were beaten by thousandths, afaik they are recorded but not displayed.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Maybe you were beaten by thousandths..

NEVERRR!!

EDIT: Oh wait.. it doesnt even show the thousands :doh:
This has come up before where someone appears to be farther ahead but ends up getting placed behind in the results. I don't know what the conclusion was.

It may be possible that he only appeared to be behind, perhaps due to lag.
Its due to both cars crossing the line in the "same frame" of the game, but even if that weren't the case thousandths are not measured (at least not displayed) at the moment. I have had 4 ties (0.00) in LFS so far, and only 1 of them I can't pick out the true winner, pixel perfect tie... Just think there is only so fast the game loop can update and check if people have crossed the line, and if they both cross the line during the same frame, then its a tie by time...
I think it chooses the winner from a tie due to factors such as fastest lap or qualifying time, or overall time in the race (like being from 10th to 4th is faster the going 1st to 3rd, if you know what I mean)
No, its sorted first based on times. If there happens to be a tie it will select the driver that came first in the sorting process. (This is also the person higher up in the connection list).
#8 - Jakg
Quote from piggy501 :I think it chooses the winner from a tie due to factors such as fastest lap or qualifying time, or overall time in the race (like being from 10th to 4th is faster the going 1st to 3rd, if you know what I mean)

Doesn't work like that.

I'd imagine that if the times are the same then surely who ever got their time to the server first would "win"?
Quote from Jakg :Doesn't work like that.

I'd imagine that if the times are the same then surely who ever got their time to the server first would "win"?

So that means if you lag slightly going over the line, you lose? It makes sense actually...
can we see a reverse angle shot of the first one?

Ive had 1 tie so far i came out better But that is quite strange you look ahead but who knows.
IMO there's something with the connection, maybe LAG or ping issue as you said.
#12 - Jakg
Quote from piggy501 :So that means if you lag slightly going over the line, you lose? It makes sense actually...

...no.

If it did, with most servers being 4 packets per second you'd only have 4 intervals in a second (i.e. xx.00, xx.25, xx.50, xx.75).

The client does the exact time measurement, however it then sends off the exact time to the server (i.e. "hi i'm Bill Bailey and I finished in 4 minutes 38 seconds 25 milliseconds"). The server then puts them in order of time, fastest to slowest (assuming no penalties).

EDIT - I was wrong. In this thread Bo ... s of a second internally.
Heres the mpr. you can check it out and see all the angles.
Attached files
fbm ctra tight race.mpr - 950.3 KB - 196 views
Quote from pine-fin :Heres the mpr. you can check it out and see all the angles.

You think the guy that you tied with can send you a replay too? Compare, see if it was lag, etc?
I don't think he saved a replay.. Just had an idea; Since ctra replays are saved server side, viewing that replay would show how the game saw the finish. I'll ask a replay from there.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I went in and dived to get the server side replay from CTRA.

Err.. wrong replay?

EDIT: Also, please tell how did you get it. I have been looking for some of my old race replays and can't figure out how to recover them :P
Ok, I just guessed by the time. I'm likely wrong. if someone grabs me an accurate end time

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG