The online racing simulator
RPM Hitting / RPM Redline
(52 posts, started )
#1 - feat
Well, i dont know how to call it, but oh well, i hope you'll got me.
The idea is, that car's ( well i tryed the stuff on XRT ) doesn't hit back RPM, but it should, i guess. It would sound nice even if you drift, or just get to top RPM.

Yeah, my english sucks, so it's hard to explain, but i hope you got it.
And besides, i already saw this in some tweaked vid, but it was older version i guess.
Cut-off caused by a rev limiter most of the time.

And well I don't know how you manage to make a cut-off sound in LFS tho...
#3 - FCS13
Yep,Maybe we can post it in Improvement Suggestion Forums,Should be normally in LFS.
#5 - feat
Thanks guys, i hope we will get this in LFS !
Quote from feat :Thanks guys, i hope we will get this in LFS !

I hope too
Rev limiters (which are not unrealistic in LFS at the moment) and anti-lag are completely different things. Please don't make yourselves look silly by suggesting they are the same.

Try changing gear before you hit the rev limiter - your drifts will be longer and faster, and/or your laptimes will be lower.
Scawen altered the LFS cars to imitate a soft limiter some patches ago. Most modern cars have a soft limiter like that (my Lupo (stock) has a hard cut-off one, tho)
When i was racing in SP with AI's, when they hit redline they release accelerating and then push on it again. But it happens very fast and in that way it sounds like AI cars have redline limiter.
My opinion they should change rev limiter popping into editable one. Just like other engine sounds.
YES this is what they should do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote from tristancliffe :Rev limiters (which are not unrealistic in LFS at the moment) and anti-lag are completely different things. Please don't make yourselves look silly by suggesting they are the same.

Try changing gear before you hit the rev limiter - your drifts will be longer and faster, and/or your laptimes will be lower.

Just gotta ask, even though it's off topic - but shouldn't you be shifting at the optimum point for peak horsepower for a good laptime? Within reason of course, not for every single corner.
Quote from Ca18Slider :Just gotta ask, even though it's off topic - but shouldn't you be shifting at the optimum point for peak horsepower for a good laptime? Within reason of course, not for every single corner.

What makes you think optimum point for peak horsepower is on your rev limiter? Well, it isn't.

You should be shifting before the limiter kicks in.
Quote from sgt.flippy :What makes you think optimum point for peak horsepower is on your rev limiter? Well, it isn't.

You should be shifting before the limiter kicks in.

Quote :Try changing gear before you hit the rev limiter - your drifts will be longer and faster, and/or your laptimes will be lower.

That's not what I asked, I assumed that Tristan meant that you should shift AT your redline, then I asked, specifically:

Quote :Just gotta ask, even though it's off topic - but shouldn't you be shifting at the optimum point for peak horsepower for a good laptime? Within reason of course, not for every single corner.

I don't think I said "Should you shift at your redline?"
In his post it says "before you hit the limiter"... So I wonder what your question is about, it's all clear here
#17 - feat
Guys, we are sliding pretty slowly @ offtopic ..
Well, OFCOURSE we will shift gears at the right moment and OFCOURSE we will lose speed and stuff .. blah blah blah ..
But i got an idea that mission is to make this game as most realistic driving simulator. Ok, this small thing isn't nothing important. But that's what we (especially drifters) miss ..
Quote from Ca18Slider :That's not what I asked, I assumed that Tristan meant that you should shift AT your redline, then I asked, specifically:
I don't think I said "Should you shift at your redline?"

no, you shouldn't shift AT the redline, and you shouldn't shift AT peak power, but between the two (how far between depends on ratios and torque/power curves).

Why do drifters miss it? Do they like hitting the rev limiter and having their drift suddenly stop as they rear tyres become undriven? Or is it an image thing - they don't care how the car performs, as long as it looks or sounds 'cool'?
Quote from tristancliffe :no, you shouldn't shift AT the redline, and you shouldn't shift AT peak power, but between the two (how far between depends on ratios and torque/power curves).

Why do drifters miss it? Do they like hitting the rev limiter and having their drift suddenly stop as they rear tyres become undriven? Or is it an image thing - they don't care how the car performs, as long as it looks or sounds 'cool'?

I take offense to that, that was only a misunderstanding and you shouldn't be getting so feisty. I don't see where you're getting all this mumbo jumbo, some may sit there at 60 miles per hour bouncing the redline in 3rd for a smoke show, or because... hmh, shifting mid-slide might kinda FREAK with the whole thing? I personally don't, I adjust my gears so I can hold a slide at around 4-5K RPM's, I don't sit there and strangle my engine. I'm not missing -anything- here, I like to race and drift, and sometimes I mix them up for some fun. But whatever, if somebody does it and they don't get in my way, I'm fine and dandy - so what's your big problem with it besides being on a constant Crusade against drifting?
-
(dj-fluxsa) DELETED by dj-fluxsa
Quote from tristancliffe :no, you shouldn't shift AT the redline, and you shouldn't shift AT peak power, but between the two (how far between depends on ratios and torque/power curves).

Its beacuse in drifts you use the trottle to control the angle you dont just floor it and hit the limiter the whole way throught the drift.
There fore as drifters adjust the trottle the car will hit the limter when they need full trottle.
You take offense to facts? Blimey! I wasn't even rude... Fiesty? No, I was reitterating what I said before, in a clearer fashion to correct any misunderstandings.

Mumbo Jumbo? This thread is about drifters wanting a rev limiter that bounces more (I think). This will NOT help their drifts, because the limiter with remove all wheel drive torque. The best way would be, as you say, to use decent gear ratios, but sadly most drifters don't think [like this]. The second best option would be a quick gear change, that might halt the drift, or it might just about recover (depending on speed of shift and ratio gaps).

As to your reply to "Why to drifters miss it", if you read some other replies you'll find a post saying that "drifters miss it". I was replying to that.

You'll probably take offence to this corrective post too, but I couldn't really give a damn.
Quote from tristancliffe :You take offense to facts? Blimey! I wasn't even rude... Fiesty? No, I was reitterating what I said before, in a clearer fashion to correct any misunderstandings.

Mumbo Jumbo? This thread is about drifters wanting a rev limiter that bounces more (I think). This will NOT help their drifts, because the limiter with remove all wheel drive torque. The best way would be, as you say, to use decent gear ratios, but sadly most drifters don't think [like this]. The second best option would be a quick gear change, that might halt the drift, or it might just about recover (depending on speed of shift and ratio gaps).

As to your reply to "Why to drifters miss it", if you read some other replies you'll find a post saying that "drifters miss it". I was replying to that.

You'll probably take offence to this corrective post too, but I couldn't really give a damn.

I don't take as much offense to this post, the main thing that insulted me is that it's always "Drifters."
Yes, you are right, but I find it offensive that you make it sound like EVERY drifter is the same as the bad eggs - personally I don't enjoy them either.

And yeah, it does suck pretty bad that alot of people that drift do choke their engine like they choke their chicken, but hey, what works works. Like I said before, as long as they don't get in the way - no biggie. And I think what they mainly meant was a limiter that did this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fgm0ZTRCKr8
Something that gives you a sense that it isn't just a dead end.
All you're talking about changing gears at some point to hold drifts or adjusting the gear ratios.What you don't know is that the xrg HAS ONLY 140 HORSEPOWER which isn't that ideal.Try and drift with 3rd gear and at the drift shift to 4th.Your rpm are decreasing, you're slowing down, and finally you lose drift.So, to hold that drift you made you need to hold 3rd and NOT TO CHANGE.Also adjusting the gear ratios is too complicated for beginners.That's why we need better rev limiter.Furthermore, in drift shows like doing donuts or burnouts you hit rev limiter, you just can't change gear.I think i made my self clear.
Quote from ProDemoDrifter :All you're talking about changing gears at some point to hold drifts or adjusting the gear ratios.What you don't know is that the xrg HAS ONLY 140 HORSEPOWER which isn't that ideal.Try and drift with 3rd gear and at the drift shift to 4th.Your rpm are decreasing, you're slowing down, and finally you lose drift.So, to hold that drift you made you need to hold 3rd and NOT TO CHANGE.Also adjusting the gear ratios is too complicated for beginners.That's why we need better rev limiter.Furthermore, in drift shows like doing donuts or burnouts you hit rev limiter, you just can't change gear.I think i made my self clear.

That is true I would like to have that REv limiter :O http://vbox7.com/play:c45bbc5f
Quote from ProDemoDrifter :Also adjusting the gear ratios is too complicated for beginners. That's why we need better rev limiter.

That is probably the worst argument, ever.

Also the XRG is a pretty poor choice as a drift car, for the reasons you mentioned. Why not use the XRT... oh wait

(52 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG