The online racing simulator
Track/Set naming conventions
(10 posts, started )
I've run a search and can't see anything obvious on this so maybe I'm the only one with a problem.

I find the whole issue of the track naming confusing. There isn't any conistency between the track name and how it is refered to in various places on line and also for the naming of sets.

For example we have Fern Bay, (which has Club, Green, Gold etc). Also known as FE Club, FE Green etc and a numerical name eg FE1, FE2 etc. Then on top we have the reverse.

The bit that always confuses me is the switch to the use of numbers. For instance what is Fern Bay Club? is it FE1, FE2 or what?

Why can't it be refered to as FEC ? that would make a lot more sense to me.

I would propose the following,

Keep all track identifiers the same (eg BL for Blackwood, KY for Kyoto etc), but replace numericals with the following (where relevant):

Track name : Track descriptor

GP Track/Long, Grand Prix etc : GP
Club : CB
Classic : CC
Cadet : CT
Sprint 1 : S1
Sprint 2 : S2
City Long : CL
Town Course : TC

Etc - I'm sure you get the idea.

Example set names would be like:

XFG_BLGP xxx.set
FXO_SOCC xxx.set

etc

This way there is uniformity across the naming of the tracks and sets and in my opinion would be easier to learn by heart rather than the numbering which I feel is confusing.

Thoughts??
#2 - xtm
+1, i'm always confused with those abbreviations.
I like this idea to

+1
word

+1
-1, just start changing track as an admin or use the /track command in single player and you pick up on the combos very quickly... FECR would be just as hard to remember as FE1R once you put two brain cells together working on it. No but really, you have Aston Cadet, and an Aston Club so ASC is which?

Edit: Just noticed you covered that by having 2 letters but in the end its still a code... Get used to them and its not issue!
Quote from blackbird04217 :
....Get used to them and its not issue!

That's the whole point. I'm having difficulty getting used to them. I don't even know what all the AS and FE ones are so how can I make the correlation? I don't have a good enough memory in order to remember which order the circuit combos are listed in LFS so I have no idea which one is No.1, No.5 or No.3 in Aston for example.

Plus just purely on the logical side, it doesn't make sense to me to use numbers as arbitary differentiators of tracks when the tracks already have names which could be notated to something meaningful.
I know most by number better than name because of changing server combos... But yes, trying to get AS6 = Aston Grand Touring isn't the best but I think the system works as it is, and would much prefer physics updates to keep becoming more realistic.

Heres a simple top though, make an image with all the tracks and type out the respective codes, keep that in view and viola no more questions...
Good suggestion, I've always hated the numbers and resisted learning them.
+111

hate numbers
Quote from blackbird04217 :-1, just start changing track as an admin or use the /track command in single player and you pick up on the combos very quickly... FECR would be just as hard to remember as FE1R once you put two brain cells together working on it. No but really, you have Aston Cadet, and an Aston Club so ASC is which?

Edit: Just noticed you covered that by having 2 letters but in the end its still a code... Get used to them and its not issue!

Quote :Club : CB
Classic : CC
Cadet : CT

+2 for me and for blackbird cause his reason is not valid. x) It would be much easier to remember than with numbers.

(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG