The online racing simulator
S3 Drift
(12 posts, started )
S3 Drift
I am a drifter... but i have a problem.

I still play s1 because on s2 drift has been totally ****ed up... you can configure the settings of the car on s2, but only for race conditions.
Now to drift with angle you need caster... in s1 my RACE set has more caster than is allowed on s2.. so what does that say about drift? If you cannot edit the car setup as freely as you wish as you were able to in s1 then drift is not possible in s2 (unless your a 5 degree noob drifter)!

In s1 theres alot more adjustment on the car, in every sense, camber, caster, toe, anti roll and parralell steer are all major adjustments for a drift or rally setup. In s2 , we are able to do only almost half the adjustments we did in s1 , making the cars alot more unstable during drifts, or slides while racing.

Caster would be the most vital adjustment, as well as max steer rate, being 45 degree's in s1, but limiting us in s2 with only 36. In that sence the car would only be able to drift small angles for a very short time, with or without tyre wear.

What me and many of my fellow drifters want to know is if S3 will provide us with these major adjustments?
If not then we will continue playing S1 when the brilliant graphics and better cars/tracks are being wasted on S3 but with no drifters, as there is no angle to drift with.

Please answer this post and tell us if these adjustments will be made in S3, i would very much like to play S3, i love the live for speed game but these minor things are holding us back.

Greetings,

Budha
Its perfectly fine the way it is. Learn to adjust, thats what driftings all about, adjusting. I even got better with the less lock.
clearly he needs a fix of fz50
Quote from budhacocha :I am a drifter... but i have a problem.

budhacocha, to be honest I doubt S3 would be much different in terms of steering lock compared to now. You might as well get used to it.

there's plenty of real life drifters that still uses the "stock"/default steering lock (according to what Scawen said long ago, 36 degree lock is how it is at most street cars), only those professional fully drift tuned cars that has the wheel customised for extra steering angle (they aim for higher angle + speed).

To be honest I think you're just aren't used to it yet. It takes a whole lot of practise to do it right, don't forget it's just a game, so you need some getting use to unlike real life where you have G-forces to help you out.

I recommend you to visit www.lfs-torque.net if you have any problems regarding drifting, a lot of long time LFS drifters hang around there, and if you ever saw one of their replays, you'd be amazed at how they manage to perform those impressive slides with only 36 degree lock control. Good luck.
#5 - jmkz
Once we get the tyre physics update wouldn't it make drifting harder? More traction = harder to drift? At least this would make it more realistic too. I actually kind of want to get rid off the "drifting simulation" reputation if you know what I mean.
so, in conclusion, stay with S1.
I have nothing against drifting (I actually find it lots of fun until my tyres explode), but it has attracted kind of a bad rep. People tend to look down on drifters which I think is a bit unfair as it's a legit form of entertainment and takes a bit of skill to do well.

But LFS is about 'grip' racing first and foremost, and the fact that LFS cars drift as well as they do is testament to the quality of the physics and talent of the programmers. Unfortunately for the drifters, they'll always be in the minority of racers (both in LFS and RL) and I doubt the devs will adjust anything just to make drifting easier.
obviously none of you guys create your own setups...
The point of reducing setuping abilities in S2 is that LFS tries to simulate the real world and not drift heaven (or racing heaven :razz. In reality you have much less options in setting up a car, especially a street car.
LFS roadcars are stock, there's no caster adjustment in them like there isn't on most of the cars you buy in real life. Sure you can fit parts that allow wider range for camber adjust & caster adjust, but there aren't such things on stock cars. In this way S1 was unrealistic with too wide a variety of setup options.

I'd imagine the XRR would be ideal for drifting setup wise, since it's a racecar. The fact that it's close in engine specs to what you see in D1 should make it even better. The only thing is that slicks, even in this seemingly slippery state of tyre physics are hard to drift with. Although I guess the tyres used for example in D1 aren't that low on grip either but then again they aren't slicks either.

EDIT: Hmm hehe. 24° steering lock isn't much so I guess the XRR isn't an option either.
The a GT car would never be used for driftin IRL, it's a purpose built racing car designed entirely to be extremely stiff without too much excessive oversteer, sure you can change the set but it's still a racing car. The car used for drifting will be more production based cars with turbos and trick ECUs, the bodyshells are not prepared in anywhere near the same way as a race car.

As for sets I'd hope that in S3 there are almost no setup options for the S1 standard road cars, a few on slightly modified for club racing varients of the cars, but still no where near as many and certainly no more choice on the race cars.

S3 Drift
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG