The online racing simulator
Mazda Furai: 3 Rotors are back (?)
It's a concept car and does not comply with ALMS/ACO rules. Not because of the engine though, wankels have been allowed for several years.
#3 - arco
Gotta love those Rotary engines Anything that can produce 60+hp on a 160kg kart keeps me happy stick a super charger on it 100hp+ lol no thanks

That Mazda looks the complete nuts!
Gotta be carefull with anything related to wank...
Wanking engines sure make you deaf!
I got that ALMS statement from the article I read (Autozeitung), they said this car is ready for the track and races...seems it was said a bit too optimistic
Will Rotory allowed for Le Mans again?
#9 - bbman
Quote from scania :Will Rotory allowed for Le Mans again?

It was never banned from LeMans, it's just nobody made one...
Exactly. The Mazda 787B victory in Le Mans 1991 just happened to coincidence with FIA's decision to kill World Sportscar Championship when engine rules were changed to 3.5L. Le Mans was part of the championship so it needed to comply with the rule change...

With current LMP rules, rotaries are allowed. But probalby not really favoured. Mazda has a minor program in ALMS. Chassis is by Lola and the engine is Mazda MZR-R 2.0L Turbo I4.

-
Why FIA is so like to discriminate against Rotory engine?
I believe the other enigne manufacturers were not happy about it and pressured the FIA into a rule change.
Read it again FIA just happened to change the engine rules for 1992. Not because of Mazda's win (which was little bit lucky, Mercedes had troubles and both Peugeots DNF'd). So stop that BS. 1991 was already a transition year. In 1992 the former Group C engines were not allowed anymore and after that all engines were made for the new 3.5L "F1 engine" format... which turned out to be extremely successful: 1993 season was cancelled before even the first race started because manufacturers left.

-
Quote from scania :Why FIA is so like to discriminate against Rotory engine?

Because they know, its faster, and it might last for 24h :P
I liked the sound... sounds like a plane @ liftoff and tbh.. i kinda start liking its looks =D
Quote from scania :Why FIA is so like to discriminate against Rotory engine?

mazda should say its a diesel then the FIA will let it run to whatever rules they want.
Er ... the FIA have recently done some diesel knobbling in the WTCC.

Also, it's not the FIA that make the sportscar rules - that's the ACO.
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
I guess he got confused because I was talking about World Sportscar Championship (1953-1992) few posts above... the was under FIA and 24 hours of Le Mans was part of the championship. Back then ACO was "only" the organizer behind Le Mans. Since the killing of World Sportscar Championship, prototype racing has been mostly in the hands of ACO and thank god for that. Except years 1997-2003 when there was short-lived FIA Sportscar Championship.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG