The online racing simulator
How to downshift in FBM?
(10 posts, started )
How to downshift in FBM?
I guess this question extends to all sequencial gearbox cars, not just the FBM.

I have a dillema when driving the FBM.

If I downshift without blipping the throttle I can brake faster, but this can lock up the rear wheels sometimes, resulting in an immediate spinout. Since this is unpredictable, it is an unacceptable risk.

If I blip the throttle with every downshift, the problem of locking the rear wheels is avoided, but, as the gearbox is loaded between shifts, I can't downshift as fast and braking is slower.

So, how do you guys downshift in the FBM? I'd like to understand how it should be done.
#2 - garph
The right way is to blip, but some times you can get away (depending on the track) without having to blip. Going from really fast to really slow is when I tend to blip with most care. I don't tend to blip with high speed down shifts, 6th ot 5th for example.

You'll just have to adjust your braking points and gear down slower, thats just the way it is. Tweaking the gear ratios and brake power/balance may help a little and getting better at blipping as well.

I use auto clutch.
are you using auto clutch or manual.

well i am using auto clutch and i am not bliping at all , i just set my brake balance in that way that i can brake maax and my tyres arent locking up.

for example you can brake with more power when your car is running 200km/h then when your car is running 50km/h.

is i set it up in that way that when i am braking at 200km/h i brake for 100% and when i am downshifting i just lose my brake pedel to 80% and then go back to 90% in the gear, and when i go a other gear down i go to 70% and in the gear back to 80%.

that is how i am braking

i hope you got what i mean.

greets,

Reint Jan
The locking of the rear wheels is something that can make you lose a lot. It can make you spin, lose the ideal line and break even slower. So even if nothing of that happens, it still isnt that much faster than blipping.

On FBM there are two ways of blipping: One, you let the throttle at the minimum pressure enough to the rpm go to the max all throughout the breaking; two, you do the same except you only make that tiny pressure on the throttle when you press to downshift.

The thing with FBM is that you can't give a full throttle blip or it won't downshift, so people normally do the first one, because its much easier - and practically as fast.

Download vinpcer's BL1 WR with FBM and see it for yourself
I don't blip, (but then I use autoclutch), and I've never had problems except when going down a gear too far. I've never had problems with being outbraked in the FBM.
I always have problems downshifting with the fbm I'm not sure if it's me my wheel/pedals or what..

It just never wants to shift when I blip the throttle. I never blip now and it is definatley faster for me. I use manual clutch btw
Quote from AjRose :I always have problems downshifting with the fbm I'm not sure if it's me my wheel/pedals or what..

It just never wants to shift when I blip the throttle. I never blip now and it is definatley faster for me. I use manual clutch btw

Because if you put the throttle at 50% or more it won't downshift, which is a bit hard to control on the blips. So instead, try to brake and have the throttle at a constant 20% while you're breaking
Quote from LiveForBoobs :Because if you put the throttle at 50% or more it won't downshift, which is a bit hard to control on the blips. So instead, try to brake and have the throttle at a constant 20% while you're breaking

I'll give this a try thanks
Quote from LiveForBoobs :Because if you put the throttle at 50% or more it won't downshift

Umm I can do full-throttle blips and it still downshifts fine for me.
Quote from wheel4hummer :Umm I can do full-throttle blips and it still downshifts fine for me.

No, you change guear and only then you full-throttle-blip, even if it seems it is at the same time it isnt, its after, otherwise you couldnt change guear. Go full throttle, press shift down and tell me if it changes guear.

How to downshift in FBM?
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG