The online racing simulator
3DS MAX 9 cloth help ?
(2 posts, started )
3DS MAX 9 cloth help ?
Hello all, hope the title works for you

I have put a plane above my FXO in 3DS MAX 9 and i'd like it to be placed over the car like a cloth. But when I *tried* to use the cloth feature of MAX 9, when i come to render the car, the plane is just sat above my car, not doing anything but floating there

Could someone do a quick step-by-step tutotial on how to get this function to work ?

Many thanks !
Equinox
Ok, this is a bit difficult, so take note to everything.

First, on the left side, there should be a tool bar filled with reactor objects (if not, go to the normal CREATE tab (right side) and then Helpers, and then in the tool bar, down to reactor. Using either of those, you must create a RBCollection, and then in the MODIFY tab of the RBCollection, you must add the FXO as what you want to collide with.

Now, select your plane, and in MODIFY and under the modifiers, you must select reactor cloth, the properties under it can be messed with afterwards, but for now, just leave it as is. [NOTE: you might want to go back to the original plane underneath the reactor cloth modifier and up the segments to however high you want.)

Next, you must create a Cloth collection (CLCollection) (reactor sidebar, or CREATE -> Helper -> Reactor), and add your new plane with a cloth modifier to it. Save now, just because it's easier to come back to this point, than to try and fix it afterwards.

Now, in the menu (top one), go to reactor, then to Create Animation, it'll bring up a box asking if you're sure, hit ok, and then depending on how many segments you selected, run off, make a pot of coffee, some crumpets, and a nice warm lager, and come back, look at it, then tweak the cloth settings to your desire.

Hope this helps, and if you need more help, you can MSN me and I'll do all that I can

Dustin

EDIT: Note to anyone who uses this for a tutorial in the future, make sure to ungroup all of the cars parts, and instead create a named selection set.

3DS MAX 9 cloth help ?
(2 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG