The online racing simulator
Automatic shift method according to the car
Hi, first post, sorry if has been discussed, did´nt see.

I´d suggest to create an option in the menu to automatically switch the car trasmission type according to the car model. Very useful to people with G25 or with shifters.

I mean, we have 3 kind of cars:

1) shifter, with paddles

2) shifter with lever

3) H shift

Now you have to select them each time you change the car type, and even you need to change button assignments if you want to switch from paddle to lever shifter or viceversa.

Hope it´s a good idea.Thanks!
#3 - rigma
+2 to make up for the -1
in the meantime you can do it manually via scripts
Quote from Manute951 :Hi, first post, sorry if has been discussed, did´nt see.

I´d suggest to create an option in the menu to automatically switch the car trasmission type according to the car model. Very useful to people with G25 or with shifters.

I mean, we have 3 kind of cars:

1) shifter, with paddles

2) shifter with lever

3) H shift

Now you have to select them each time you change the car type, and even you need to change button assignments if you want to switch from paddle to lever shifter or viceversa.

Hope it´s a good idea.Thanks!

Hmm i dont really understand what you mean. I assigned the paddles and the shifter once and i dont need to change anything. In the options/ driver page at the gear shift type i enable shifter to make sure its been used while driving road cars and thats it. Driving the openwheelers or FXR/ XRR for example im just using my paddles without changing anything before (meaning the shifter in the options stays enable while its simple disable for the time using a car that needs/ requires/ is using sequential transmission).

Edit: ah now i get it, youre switching the shifter from H-gate to sequential? Nevermind then.
Quote from Manute951 :How??

Look in the scripts folder and the carname.lfs files. Should quickly become obvious.
#8 - ajp71
Quote from mrminor28 :-1.

I'd like to know the grounds for your objection. It is possible to do it with scripts atm but TBH it needent be that complicated.
I posted this as a suggestion a few months ago, and I still think all that needs to be done is the addition of a third shift control set, so you have two more fields to fill out in the controls menu:

Paddle Shift Up
Paddle Shift Down

Sequential Shift Up
Sequential Shift Down

First Gear
Second Gear
Third Gear
Fourth Gear
Fifth Gear
Sixth Gear
Reverse

Because the BF1 (the only car with 7 gears IIRC) uses paddle shifting, we don't need a 7th gear option since no car would use it. Sounds simple enough to me, but I'm not a coder..

In either case, as mentioned, you can setup some scripts to do all of this for you. If I were at home I'd upload my scripts for you but I'm at school (College residence) and won't be home until Saturday evening. If you haven't figured it out, and no one has posted theirs since then, I'll post 'em up for you.
#10 - Woz
Quote from MAGGOT :I posted this as a suggestion a few months ago, and I still think all that needs to be done is the addition of a third shift control set, so you have two more fields to fill out in the controls menu:

Paddle Shift Up
Paddle Shift Down

Sequential Shift Up
Sequential Shift Down

First Gear
Second Gear
Third Gear
Fourth Gear
Fifth Gear
Sixth Gear
Reverse

This is the best solution TBH.
Yep, just adding the paddles would be nice...
However, there would be a big problem with sequential cars because the G25 gear buttons for seq-up and seq-down are respectively 4th gear and 3rd gear.
And because we can't assign at the same time seq-up with 4th, and seq-down with 3rd, we're gonna be in a big trouble for driving road cars. Lemme explain :
- 1st to 2nd : no problem, goes right to second
- 2nd to 3rd : here's a problem, cuz we have at the same time 3rd gear and seq-down... which means, we'll stay in second.
- 3rd to 4th : we would go to 4th instantly, but because it is seq-up, we'd jump to 5th...
So you allow duplicate button controls for the shifting options. On cars with the H-gate, the sequential naturally does nothing at all (as the car is gated, the sequential coding does not affect anything), and vice versa.

No additional coding would be required as this is already the way it works. Next time you're in a gated car, using your gated shifter, hit the paddle. The gear does not change because that car does not recognize the "shift up" command.
Quote from MAGGOT :I posted this as a suggestion a few months ago, and I still think all that needs to be done is the addition of a third shift control set, so you have two more fields to fill out in the controls menu:

Paddle Shift Up
Paddle Shift Down

Sequential Shift Up
Sequential Shift Down

First Gear
Second Gear
Third Gear
Fourth Gear
Fifth Gear
Sixth Gear
Reverse

Because the BF1 (the only car with 7 gears IIRC) uses paddle shifting, we don't need a 7th gear option since no car would use it. Sounds simple enough to me, but I'm not a coder..

In either case, as mentioned, you can setup some scripts to do all of this for you. If I were at home I'd upload my scripts for you but I'm at school (College residence) and won't be home until Saturday evening. If you haven't figured it out, and no one has posted theirs since then, I'll post 'em up for you.

Your solution seems easier than I was thinking, maybe it´s the way to go.

Quote from Zen321 :Yep, just adding the paddles would be nice...
However, there would be a big problem with sequential cars because the G25 gear buttons for seq-up and seq-down are respectively 4th gear and 3rd gear.
And because we can't assign at the same time seq-up with 4th, and seq-down with 3rd, we're gonna be in a big trouble for driving road cars. Lemme explain :
- 1st to 2nd : no problem, goes right to second
- 2nd to 3rd : here's a problem, cuz we have at the same time 3rd gear and seq-down... which means, we'll stay in second.
- 3rd to 4th : we would go to 4th instantly, but because it is seq-up, we'd jump to 5th...

I´ve noticed the problem, but for me sequential mess up with 1st and 2nd gear. If I bind sequential up/down keys, 1st and 2nd gears at H-Shifter became unbinded, and If I select the H-shifter, I need to bind the sequential again.

Quote from Bob Smith :Look in the scripts folder and the carname.lfs files. Should quickly become obvious.

Checked that, but I have no scripts inside (I have fresh install, i´m newbie ) And I can´t figure the script language.

MAGGOT, if you or anyone could post those scripts, i´d appreciate a lot.
#14 - Woz
Only thing with the solution from Maggot, it should allow you to assign the same control for paddle/seq up. I don't like the G25 shifter in seq mode so use paddles for seq. I find I put downward force on it and then it gets stuck.
Quote from Woz :Only thing with the solution from Maggot, it should allow you to assign the same control for paddle/seq up. I don't like the G25 shifter in seq mode so use paddles for seq. I find I put downward force on it and then it gets stuck.

Yup, this should be an option not only for those who don't like the G25 Sequential, but for those who only have a sequential or paddle shift.

As for the shifter getting stuck, there's various mods that have been posted (a lot on RSC, if you're brave enough to go back there...) and I seem to recall seeing one that made the spring stiffer so you this doesn't happen any more. One of the many mods I think I will execute on my wheel this summer. I also need to fix my reverse..

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG