The online racing simulator
Gear Change Animation
(17 posts, started )
Gear Change Animation
hi all

just want to know your thoughts on S3 having a gear change animation for the on-board view so when u change gear you actually see his hand moving down to change the gear....

i think LFS really lacks this
#2 - axus
Imagine the lag in this if your hand was on the wheel and it only started moving to the lever after you pressed the button to shift and then only moved the lever. It would be horrid. This can be dealt with for upshifts by moving the hand to the lever as soon as you approach the end of the power band, but you could still confuse it and downshifts would be almost impossible... trust me, you don't a hand "teleporting" around the cockpit - it will look even less realistic.
I think that there should be a button which lets you flip-off the car behind you.
Quote from wheel4hummer :I think that there should be a button which lets you flip-off the car behind you.

You mean in front of you

I see it that some cars would actually have those shifting paddles with sequental transmission so I can live with how it is now.

- The XR GT and turbo, FXO, XF GTI, UF1, RB4, LXs and RA would have traditional transmission with H pattern.

- The UFR, XFR, MRT would have sequental transmission with a stick (forward=gear up, backward=gear down)

- The FOX, F08, and FZR, FXR XRR would have sequental transmission with paddles behind wheel (no need to take hands off steering wheel for shifting). And I guess the FZ50 is modern enough to have it too
Quote from Hyperactive :- The FOX, F08, and FZR, FXR XRR would have sequental transmission with paddles behind wheel (no need to take hands off steering wheel for shifting). And I guess the FZ50 is modern enough to have it too

Because the GTR cars are based on JGTC cars do they have sequential or H pattern transmissions?

I have wanted to have this feature also but now I dediced to make a shifter with a joystick and FFSHifter utility I don't know, I could get kinda confusing when the hand in the screen wouldn't do the same as my own hand.

The hands on the wheel are great for atmosphere. I miss them in the other sims.
#6 - ajp71
Hyperactive the GTRs would be more likely to be on a sequential stick shift, the FOX would definatley not be on paddles, a sequential stick instead. You always pull back to change up a gear and push to go down a gear.
Quote from ajp71 :You always pull back to change up a gear and push to go down a gear.

Thats' what I think about the shifting method too, but someone told me at RSC that it is the other way (what I said in the post)...and I believed it

I think the formulas should be sequental with paddles, but the F08 could be good with a stick as well I think, after all, these cars should have their gear boxes modeled like real thing, so no sloppy clutch in the GTRs anymore. But a friendly suggestion it is

BTW. when did the the F1 cars their paddles? And do the GTRs in real life have paddles or stick?
Quote from Hyperactive :BTW. when did the the F1 cars their paddles? And do the GTRs in real life have paddles or stick?

Stick afaik. Some might even have a H-box.
I think its a good idea
I don't view the wheel on-screen as I can see my own hands on my wheel and shifter, so I don't mind either way if this gets implemented But it is a good idea, nonetheless
GT4 has this

Its a little lag on downshifting as axus said though...But on Upshifts, the driver moves his hand down on the shifter at high revs. Looks nice
Quote from axus :Imagine the lag in this if your hand was on the wheel and it only started moving to the lever after you pressed the button to shift and then only moved the lever. It would be horrid. This can be dealt with for upshifts by moving the hand to the lever as soon as you approach the end of the power band, but you could still confuse it and downshifts would be almost impossible... trust me, you don't a hand "teleporting" around the cockpit - it will look even less realistic.

Lag? Teleporting? Less realistic?

Someone has never played at Grand Prix Legends (which came out in 1998), I suppose...
didn't actually play it, but saw it. and it didn't look really unrealistic
-
((SaM)) DELETED by (SaM)
During downshifting, the hand can stay on the stick for 2-3 seconds because one downshift is often followed by more. This way the hand can inmediately synchronize the downshifts.
But the upshifting might take some time before the hand reaches the stick but hey, it's not much time and I've seen it before in other games, it doesnt look stupid and delayed at all, just the best you can do.

Unless of course there are wheels with a touch sensitive shiftknob.. but I never heard of one.
Quote from Hankstar :I don't view the wheel on-screen as I can see my own hands on my wheel and shifter, so I don't mind either way if this gets implemented

Dito
Why have a second set of wheel and hands on the screen when you got them in front of you in real life? Hehe
Quote from audimasta :GT4 has this

Its a little lag on downshifting as axus said though...But on Upshifts, the driver moves his hand down on the shifter at high revs. Looks nice

Funny that they have implemented this because GT4 doesn't even have a incar view.
I would really like shifting animation to be included in future of LFS too.

I've seen many other games that has it, and they all looked pretty good, though the upshift animation may have slight lag, but it still looks very very nice from my point of view.

I play with in car cockpit view with the wheels on, if I shift and the hand of the driver in game reaches over for the shift stick, man that'd look damn cool! :P

Gear Change Animation
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG