The online racing simulator
Opinion on Dual Monitors
(38 posts, started )
Opinion on Dual Monitors
Hi,

Just wondering on people's opinions on how they would have the view spread over two screens. Here's the two options - Which would you rather have?:

....................................|||,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,|||
....................................|||,,,,,,,,,,,,wheel,,,,,,,,,,|||

Which would you rather have? I'm keen on the second but it could be harder to setup and the slightly warped view is a bit wierd.

Keep in mind that the left monitor will be just left of my wheel and the right monitor will be to the right of my wheel. See the little diagram above.
#2 - Jakg
Can't you have one monitor showing the wheel, and one to the left of it showing the left bit?

That would make more sense...

(If you understand).

1st idea is stupid as the borders will drive you crazy.
Quote from Jakg :Can't you have one monitor showing the wheel, and one to the left of it showing the left bit?

That would make more sense...

(If you understand).

1st idea is stupid as the borders will drive you crazy.

I tried to do that with the second one - if you can see with the border in the two thats where the pillar of the car is, so you can't see there anyway.
While the bar is annoying when it's right in the middle. You get used to if after a while and eventually you don't notice it anymore. Until someone walks in and says, "Isn't that bar annoying?" at which point it becomes blazingly obvious for the next 5 minutes until you forget about it again.
#6 - Juls
In the second view you turned the camera? I was doing like that and it causes some distorsion in the cockpit.

There is a possibility to translate the view left or right without any special distorsion:
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=31026
If you do get this dual monitor setup running pls post some feedback about it as I am thinking of doing something similar.
Quote from anttt69 :If you do get this dual monitor setup running pls post some feedback about it as I am thinking of doing something similar.

I'm running dual monitors and I will never go back. It really is so much more productive to be able to have two windows open (at a usable size) when you're working between them. And screw the bar in the middle, LFS still looks awesome with two screens. And you could always just set it to one screen... so you won't lose any functionality. In other words... IT'S WORTH IT.
Quote from anttt69 :If you do get this dual monitor setup running pls post some feedback about it as I am thinking of doing something similar.

Good news for you, i've just ordered the second monitor off the guy. £90 for 19". Will give feedback when it comes, which should be 6-10 days.
what type are you getting?
I am just trying to setup my dual monitor setup & it's a nightmare

If I had two monitors the same size then it would have been dead easy unfortunately I wanted to try something different so that the bezels aren't in the centre. It's a no go at the mo but I will persevere.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :I'm running dual monitors and I will never go back. It really is so much more productive to be able to have two windows open (at a usable size) when you're working between them. And screw the bar in the middle, LFS still looks awesome with two screens. And you could always just set it to one screen... so you won't lose any functionality. In other words... IT'S WORTH IT.

Productivity is much better, I've been dual screen user since I picked up a monitor for free and plugged it into my lap top. 1 screen is now and forever too little space. But I still play LFS with 1 screen and turn the other off, or if I am in pickup racing I will keep it on and watch chat messages / forums while waiting for the next race to restart. Either way, that bar in the middle is more than any annoyance you can't see! I will be getting the third screen later in the year probably my own Christmas present.

Quote from mcintyrej :Good news for you, i've just ordered the second monitor off the guy. £90 for 19". Will give feedback when it comes, which should be 6-10 days.

Didn't realize the thread was as old as it is! Whats the outcome of the second monitor?
Does anyone know how to get span view to work across two different monitors? Nvidia cp is useless .
I agree with Blackbird in that dual monitors can be great - I'm a photographer and two monitors are brilliant.

However, directed at antttt69, two monitors in LFS is awful, the split is right in the middle. You need either one or three monitors. Two just won't do.
Quote from horrgakx :

However, directed at antttt69, two monitors in LFS is awful, the split is right in the middle. You need either one or three monitors. Two just won't do.

Ah yes but I have one widescreen & one standard so the split can be offset as not to be in the middle, only problem is that it is a bugger to set up
Quote from anttt69 :Ah yes but I have one widescreen & one standard so the split can be offset as not to be in the middle, only problem is that it is a bugger to set up

Why wouldnt you just run 3 monitors?
I do not have an sli mobo or amultihead adapter.
Hi guys, looked at this thread loads of times and been meaning to reply and hadn't. The new monitor is brilliant, shows motion loads better and sharper than the old one but with the setup I had it was a right bugger to use. The good one had to be on the left, displaying the normal view. The other one had to be on the right. Thats backwards to what it normally is, but i've stopped using my cockpit and I'm just sitting at my desk with my screens normal (I had to switch them around before) I can't wait to try LFS like this. I just need to wait for my dad to get back to modify my desk to fit the G25.
#19 - Jakg
Quote from anttt69 :I do not have an sli mobo or amultihead adapter.

You don't need an SLi mobo, just one with 2x PCI-e slots (i.e. my P35 mobo has 2x PCI-e slots, one 16x, and one 4x) and a cheap second card (i.e. i got a 6600GT for less than £15 delivered).
Can't you move the second option more to the right (so the wheel comes on the left side of the second monitor).

Quote from marzman :Can't you move the second option more to the right (so the wheel comes on the left side of the second monitor).

I could do but it would be a bit wierd.

By the way, your avatar shouldn't be allowed. Your not allowed to share accounts.
Quote from mcintyrej :By the way, your avatar shouldn't be allowed. Your not allowed to share accounts.

Busted!

[edit]BTW. I don't think it looks strange (if you don't look at my bad paintskills ) You see more in front of you and you don't have the big right sidewindow. Maybe you will even see a little of the left mirror.
Quote from Jakg :You don't need an SLi mobo, just one with 2x PCI-e slots (i.e. my P35 mobo has 2x PCI-e slots, one 16x, and one 4x) and a cheap second card (i.e. i got a 6600GT for less than £15 delivered).

it does but the second one is useless

1x pcie 16x
1x pcie 1x
Why don't use you the software SoftTh? Is designed to use with 3 monitors, but also you can run only 2
I tried softTH but could not get it to work.

Opinion on Dual Monitors
(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG